AI Train not stopping at Industry to load

DaveL

Recovering RBR Addict
The following is happening in TRS19 PLUS bld. 105100 (AI Mode)
The route is the Watseka & Kankakee by MSGsapper. The route in imported from TANE SP3.

The Wenonah Crude Oil facility is the industry in question.
The train stops at the pick-up point and loads 2 or 3 cars, it then takes off and will not load the rest of the empty cars.
The EXACT same commands used in TANE SP3 work as intended.....every time.

Questions and/or suggestions willingly accepted!

Dave

Last edited:
The following is happening in TRS19 PLUS bld. 100500 (AI Mode)
The route is the Watseka & Kankakee by MSGsapper. The route in imported from TANE SP3.

The Wenonah Crude Oil facility is the industry in question.
The train stops at the pick-up point and loads 2 or 3 cars, it then takes off and will not load the rest of the empty cars.
The EXACT same commands used in TANE SP3 work as intended.....every time.

Questions and/or suggestions willingly accepted!

Dave

The engine specs might have changed, making the train move faster, or the industry lets loose of the consist too soon. In the past, I have placed a track mark some distance from the industry, about 50 meters or so. Have the AI drive to that track mark then slow down to 5 mph (3 kph) through the industry. The alternative is to set a max speed on the consist at that track mark, or one before to force the AI to drive no faster than 5 mph.

Isn't this the problem that MSGsapper brought up with TRS19? It led him to create his line of BI3 industries.

William

After a bit of looking around, I have decided to wait for MSGsapper to update the route for TRS19.
My session for TANE SP3 works like a charm and I will play there while waiting.
Thanks for the help, ya'all

Dave

This is an example of the simulator becoming more complex than real-life. Well, maybe... Does anyone know what a real railroad does in the modern era? Are a staff of programmers standing by to alter programs based upon the orders brought in by the sales group? That seems inefficient and costly. Trainz does a good job creating a railroad. But, it is deficient when it comes to the management of real-life scenarios. Customers are required to to understand programming. Look at the "one-time" examples that are complex and very limited to the task at hand. There is little reality in solving one-event problems and declaring victory.

RUNNING a railroad is very different from BUILDING a railroad. N3v is quite good at building but very deficient on running one in an "as real as it gets" environment.

Many people solve their problems through their own ingenuity and hard work. However, there is too much frustration and angst when others attempt to USE the creation. More time is spent trying to find out how to do something than in the creation of a railroad PROCESS.

Yes, it is possible to make a virtual railroad run as a reasonable facsimile of the real thing doing one thing over-and-over. But, the world is not a static environment.

N3V shows no interest in going beyond the ability to create systems from table top to hundreds of miles of virtual track. They are satisfied to STOP at creation. Thus we see complex methods to actually run a large virtual railroad that may be far from what is done in the real world. The N3V customer base makes the railroads but the overall set of customers really struggle to PROPERLY USE them. Instead their created routes/systems become big model railroads with several trains running, but just the same scenario over-and-over. Imagine if that system could respond to a customer who needs four tankers of gasoline delivered next month. WHOOPS! Or, how do we alter a schedule, and manage delivery commitments, when a track section needs repair? WHOOPS! Each time we inject reality we have to go back to custom scripts and arcane tactics to complete the task.

What some computer savvy model RR layout owners do is to develop a graphical user interface. This essentially allows someone to act in the role of a dispatcher just like on the prototype. In order to do this in conjunction with Trainz, there would have to be a set of API's available to control Trainz from an external program. This is almost diametrically opposed to the approach many have taken by trying to automate scores of consists from static, previously declared, sets of commands and rules.

Insofar as loading, MSGSapper seems to have provided a set of tracks that load visible commodities and show dust (sound would be nice?). Not sure what else people realistically expect from a programmed simulation.

I'm also having trouble with industries in 2019
It's sometimes seems like the industry can't be seen or the consist suddenly forgets it's there
As mentioned the same commands in Tane are not a problem and it all works as intended
It's like I gone back 4-5 years and trying to figure out how to do it again

What some computer savvy model RR layout owners do is to develop a graphical user interface. This essentially allows someone to act in the role of a dispatcher just like on the prototype. In order to do this in conjunction with Trainz, there would have to be a set of API's available to control Trainz from an external program. This is almost diametrically opposed to the approach many have taken by trying to automate scores of consists from static, previously declared, sets of commands and rules.

Insofar as loading, MSGSapper seems to have provided a set of tracks that load visible commodities and show dust (sound would be nice?). Not sure what else people realistically expect from a programmed simulation.

The developers have made the APIs available for third-party developers. This is to allow for hardware such as controllers and other things to interface with the code within the program.

Unfortunately I can't find additional information on the Wiki or in the forums probably because I'm using the wrong keywords.

I'm also having trouble with industries in 2019
It's sometimes seems like the industry can't be seen or the consist suddenly forgets it's there
As mentioned the same commands in Tane are not a problem and it all works as intended
It's like I gone back 4-5 years and trying to figure out how to do it again

Try the old drive to track mark, wait 5 seconds, set speed to 5 mph to an exit track mark, and cancel set speed. What this will do is give the scripts time to kick in. I used to use this with great success in TRS2004 to TS12. As you say, we've gone back in time here!

I would also report this as a bug because things don't work as they did before.

The developers have made the APIs available for third-party developers. This is to allow for hardware such as controllers and other things to interface with the code within the program.

Unfortunately I can't find additional information on the Wiki or in the forums probably because I'm using the wrong keywords.

Yes, there are some API's. See http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/TrainzNativeInterface . But it is not clear to me that an interface could be programmed to allow a dispatcher at a separate console (or window) to, for example, query the current location of a train, query the active and queued driver commands, and send or override new ones.

Another nice api or function would be to determine which layer is being edited.

Maybe it can be done, I won't go to the mat over it.

Yes, there are some API's. See http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/TrainzNativeInterface . But it is not clear to me that an interface could be programmed to allow a dispatcher at a separate console (or window) to, for example, query the current location of a train, query the active and queued driver commands, and send or override new ones.

Another nice api or function would be to determine which layer is being edited.

Maybe it can be done, I won't go to the mat over it.

Thanks for the search answer. I pulled out my remaining hairs trying to remember what it was called. I won't go the mat either because I have no clue where to start in the first place. Maybe Chris Bergmann can answer the questions on this, or perhaps bring it up in the Suggestion Boxcar forum where it might garner a bit more attention as a separate topic.

Back