Accidental Discoveries in Trainz - You can superelevate non-track splines

epa

Angry Trainz Nerd
Did you know you could superelevate non-track splines? I sure didn't until I accidentally superelevated an embankment spline instead of the track on top of it. As a test, I also superelevated this telegraph pole, to simulate it leaning.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

How is it done? The same way you superelevate track. Use your vertex properties tool (track panel, advanced section) on the spline vertex, just as you would with track, and set the angles.

Matt

That must be in TRS19, no option for angles in T:ANE, although I've actually seen this effect, I think in the Coal Country route?

It does work, but I can't make a straight fence "wobble", it only tilts if there is also curvature. Makes sense for tracks, not so much for fences.

Last edited:
I've been too busy to try it yet. Does adding in some extra spline points here and there help with that?

Not really. The tilt is functionally linked to the spline curvature at the vertices with super-elevation parameters applied. If there's no curvature, no tilt. And you can't input negative tilt angles. If you curve a fence to the left, it will always tilt to the left. To make it lean the other way, you can only do it by curving the fence to the right.

Last edited:
Not really. The tilt is functionally linked to the spline curvature at the vertices with super-elevation parameters applied. If there's no curvature, no tilt. And you can't input negative tilt angles. If you curve a fence to the left, it will always tilt to the left. To make it lean the other way, you can only do it by curving the fence to the right.

Thanks for the explanation. I have yet to do any Trainzing. I've been busy again with another music project that's kept my nose to the grindstone.

This super-elevation feature would make a roller coaster, twisting turning, banking track possible :cool:

Last edited:
Did you know you could superelevate non-track splines? I sure didn't until I accidentally superelevated an embankment spline instead of the track on top of it. As a test, I also superelevated this telegraph pole, to simulate it leaning.

How is it done? The same way you superelevate track. Use your vertex properties tool (track panel, advanced section) on the spline vertex, just as you would with track, and set the angles.

Matt
Matt, what version of TRS19 are you working in? I've got TRS19 "Classic" tb 100240 Regional NA - NON SP1, NON PLUS, NON SILVER, NON GOLD, NON PLATINUM, NON EVERYTHING and I don't see this behavior. For me it works identically to TANE (SP3). I don't recall when it came into TANE but we were playing around with it in the dev forums back in 2015. Anyhow I can apply the 2 params in surveyor to any spline but only track splines show the twist.

In the 2 pics below the same spline point properties were applied to all the spline points. The 2 scenery splines (embankment and telegraph poles) show no twist at all and the 2 track splines (ng3 procedural track and ng3 track w/fill) show the applied superelevation.

Looks like a bug to me. :cool:

Bob Pearson

TANE SP3 tb 94916
TANE-SP1-tb-94916.jpg

TRS19 "Classic" tb 100240
TRS19-%22Classic%22-tb-100240.jpg

Last edited:
Bob

I also see no super-elevation effect on some road splines (eg. AASHTO roads by gfisher). I'm wondering if it's because they are old-style splines (TB 2.0, 2.4) without mesh-tables and track containers in the config. Was it TS2009 when that first came into force?

I'm curious now and will try it on a more modern road spline (TB > 2.8) and see if that accounts for the difference.

~ Deane

EDIT: That did indeed make a difference. The test example was a 32ft AASHTO road by author slabay, TB 2.9. It showed the super-elevation effect. All this was in TANE SP3. I assume it will be the same in TRS19.

Last edited:
Thanks Deane. I'll have to check TB on the assets I used and try a few others. SE came in with TANE but I'm not sure now if it was the original or in a service pack. The new kind track came in with TB 2.9 in TS09.

Bob Pearson

[EDIT] PS. The track splines were TB 3.5 and 3.9, The scenery splines were tb 1.3 and 2.0. On further testing it worked with a pole spline TB2.9 and failed with a track spline TB2.0. So it appears to work only with the new type of spline that was introduced in TB 2.9.

Last edited:
Back