Thread: A hurdle that I can't jump!

Hybrid View

Default A hurdle that I can't jump!

Periodically Bill and I update the DHR route and content. It is a labour of love and loyalty to a route that deserves to be supported.

Our initial tartget was T:ane and then I had the misfortune of also taking on the update to 2019.

One of my bigger mistakes!

Compare these two screenshots:-
    Screenshot Tane.jpgScreenshot 2019.jpg

The one on the left is from T:ane and the right hand one is 2019. Both taken from the same location and very close to the same POV, same time of day 1200 noon, all the same scenery and track.

My magic wand is time -expired so I am going to forget about 2019 unless someone can suggest a way to overcome this. How can I update content to appear the same in both programs? I would very much appreciate a comment from N3V.

Peter
    I5-6 Core CPU. 1070-Ti video card, 16GB memory

Peter

Are you sure it's the content (in this case the groundtexture) at fault and not the environmental settings in TRS19? I mean, TRS19 has a master brightness slider that T:ANE did not have, so unless you have already tried adjusting it, its default setting might give this result. It could just need a tweak to make it right.

~ Deane T.
    T:ANE SP4 (105946), TRS19 SP3 (111951), Max 2009/2012, PhotoShop CS3
    Win10, i7 5820K, 3.3GHz, 32GB ram, GTX 980Ti, 2x512GB SSDs

Double yes on the set environment lighting. My first Trainz product was TRS19. I was VERY disappointed at how "dark" or "pure white" things were. Then.. I discovered the evironment and lighting. First thing I do with a route now is Reset and adjust lighting. Makes a LOT of difference.
    Looks like you have a lot of Trainz time! Surely you know about this: http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/i...ironment_Tools
    19 Plus-SP4; Plus-beta 114800; 19-Std SP3; Tane SP4
    Win10, GTX1060-6, SSDs: 1TB(C), 2TB(D)

I'm a simple soul, I have always assumed that the default settings are the best available for the broadest application, and as a content creator, and as I have worked for every version from the first release to the latest, I have found that rule-of-thumb is valid. Why is it necessary to change the presumably optimum settings? This is rather like buying a car and being told you have to change the tyres if you want to drive faster than 10 mph.

This means that I must include instructions for 2019 with everything I make.

Not happy!

Peter

Having admitted I am a simple soul and having been told to change the settings I went looking. Nowhere could I find 'to make it brighter go here:-" I followed the link above and I could not find anything that appears to relate to an overall colour change.

Please lead me.

Peter

In Surveyor, Edit Route mode, hit the Edit menu which is the "page and pencil" icon, second from the left.

Choose Edit Environment, and look for the "Light Brightness" slider - the vertical one at the lower right (unlabelled of course, just to make it more obscure). It needs to be set for each time point around the clock dial, same as for the colour and fog settings. With a bit of luck, you might only need to do this once for the DHR route (or Sessions) and not adjust any of the assets they use.

Another valuable thing to know is that the Sun Colour setting also controls the darkness of the dynamic shadows. If it's set at pure black, the shadows disappear, so I recommend setting Sun Colour to a shade of grey (my preference is dark grey) then adjust the overall Light Brightness slider to suit.

Last edited by Dinorius_Redundicus; January 11th, 2020 at 11:30 PM.
    T:ANE SP4 (105946), TRS19 SP3 (111951), Max 2009/2012, PhotoShop CS3
    Win10, i7 5820K, 3.3GHz, 32GB ram, GTX 980Ti, 2x512GB SSDs

@narrowgauge

Have you already tried https://n3vgames.typeform.com/to/y4J2Rl ?
    Hope it helps.

If it's an existing route it's worth doing a reset first (circular arrow top right in panel)

Chris.

Bump narrowgauge's original post to this thread. My shortline, basically logging centric, railroad uses a lot of content from narrowgauge and slugsmasher. A lot of the (prototypical based) mainline is in either logged, 2nd generation growth or old growth forest., and it looked MUCH better in TRS2010. Among the surprises in migrating to TRS2019 was a loss of a sense of density in these forests, probably due to resolution changes and lighting effects. I have played with lighting and environmental effects for several weeks now, but I not been able to replicate the "close in" effect of forests in mountain mist that I was able to attain on the previous route. No photos with this post, but I will try to fire up TRS2010 again and make a few comparison screenshots.

Robert704
    Tacoma & Eastern RR (v)
    Last edited by Robert704; January 19th, 2020 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Typo

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by Robert704 View Post
    Bump narrowgauge's original post to this thread. My shortline, basically logging centric, railroad uses a lot of content from narrowgauge and slugsmasher. A lot of the (prototypical based) mainline is in either logged, 2nd generation growth or old growth forest., and it looked MUCH better in TRS2010. Among the surprises in migrating to TRS2019 was a loss of a sense of density in these forests, probably due to resolution changes and lighting effects. I have played with lighting and environmental effects for several weeks now, but I not been able to replicate the "close in" effect of forests in mountain mist that I was able to attain on the previous route. No photos with this post, but I will try to fire up TRS2010 again and make a few comparison screenshots.

Robert704
    Tacoma & Eastern RR (v)
    I've run into the same issue on my more modern New England routes. Like you have in the west, we have very thick undergrowth and forests, albeit, hardwoods because our pines and spruce disappeared long ago.

In TRS2019 (TRS19), you can use older splines quite effectively along with the Speed Trees. For bushes and whatnot as splines, take a look at those made by JVC. For Speed Trees, Roystrainz, RMM, and mcguirel work depending upon the purpose. Roy and RMM made some beautiful spruce and pine trees. Roy also has some aspens as well that look nice too being a typical type of the poplar tree, they fit the bill there for me. Ettore48 has recently uploaded some grouped Speed Tree objects. These are made up from bushes and some trees by RMM. Intermixing these various kinds will produce some nice forests.

More recently, user JVC is coming out with a line of billboard type bare trees, which are effective for dead wood and for bare winter-type scenes. These, however, will be payware and I know of them only through his announcement.

The issue I do have with Speed Trees is they are too big, and too perfect most of the time, but used in conjunction with shrub splines, and Speed Tree bushes, (Kust in Russian), they can be quite nice. Here's something still a WIP without the shrub splines.

2018-08-27 220046.jpg 2019-04-29 234541.jpg
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 109641

Shouldn't really be that much difference between TANE and TRS19.

Over brightness can be fixed for assets in TRS19 for anything approaching white or cream or just too bright that's not done with pbr by changing:

Diffuse to 0,0,0.
    Ambient to 165,165,165 or thereabouts, adjust to suit
    Specular to 0,0,0.

Only needed where there is a too bright issue which mainly occurs on the side closest to the sun in game, it's not an obvious problem if using the preview asset feature.

To be honest I've created 4.6 kuid2 versions for TRS19 and haven't actually checked yet what that might do in TANE. Pause, off to check! Dropped a TRS19 "fixed" building back to 4.5 and tested in TANE, looks pretty much the same in both, which was actually somewhat unexpected.
    Weird method I know but as changing specular and diffuse values did absolutely nothing, I dispensed with them and it worked for me.

If you haven't got meshes, ImEditor will do the job.

The Darker ground texture, is odd, none of my own textures are that different in TRS19 to TANE. are yours normal mapped? If not that could be the problem. Looks like the the auto pbr in trs19 enhances the normal mapping, whatever the textures actually look slightly better in TRS19.
    For my grass type textures the normals all have black alphas and the image a white alpha, anything else creates shiny grass!
    Malc