Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A hurdle that I can't jump!

Default A hurdle that I can't jump!

Periodically Bill and I update the DHR route and content. It is a labour of love and loyalty to a route that deserves to be supported.

Our initial tartget was T:ane and then I had the misfortune of also taking on the update to 2019.

One of my bigger mistakes!

Compare these two screenshots:-
    Screenshot Tane.jpgScreenshot 2019.jpg

The one on the left is from T:ane and the right hand one is 2019. Both taken from the same location and very close to the same POV, same time of day 1200 noon, all the same scenery and track.

My magic wand is time -expired so I am going to forget about 2019 unless someone can suggest a way to overcome this. How can I update content to appear the same in both programs? I would very much appreciate a comment from N3V.

Peter
    I5-6 Core CPU. 1070-Ti video card, 16GB memory

Peter

Are you sure it's the content (in this case the groundtexture) at fault and not the environmental settings in TRS19? I mean, TRS19 has a master brightness slider that T:ANE did not have, so unless you have already tried adjusting it, its default setting might give this result. It could just need a tweak to make it right.

~ Deane T.
    T:ANE SP4 build 105946 and TRS2019 SP1 build 105096
    Win 10, i7 5820K, 3.3 GHz, 32GB ram, GTX 980Ti, 2x512GB SSD

Double yes on the set environment lighting. My first Trainz product was TRS19. I was VERY disappointed at how "dark" or "pure white" things were. Then.. I discovered the evironment and lighting. First thing I do with a route now is Reset and adjust lighting. Makes a LOT of difference.
    Looks like you have a lot of Trainz time! Surely you know about this: http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/i...ironment_Tools
    TRS19 SP1(Plus), 105100(plus), 105932(+beta)
    ASUS B450M-A/CSM, GTX 1060-6 Windforce

I'm a simple soul, I have always assumed that the default settings are the best available for the broadest application, and as a content creator, and as I have worked for every version from the first release to the latest, I have found that rule-of-thumb is valid. Why is it necessary to change the presumably optimum settings? This is rather like buying a car and being told you have to change the tyres if you want to drive faster than 10 mph.

This means that I must include instructions for 2019 with everything I make.

Not happy!

Peter

Having admitted I am a simple soul and having been told to change the settings I went looking. Nowhere could I find 'to make it brighter go here:-" I followed the link above and I could not find anything that appears to relate to an overall colour change.

Please lead me.

Peter

In Surveyor, Edit Route mode, hit the Edit menu which is the "page and pencil" icon, second from the left.

Choose Edit Environment, and look for the "Light Brightness" slider - the vertical one at the lower right (unlabelled of course, just to make it more obscure). It needs to be set for each time point around the clock dial, same as for the colour and fog settings. With a bit of luck, you might only need to do this once for the DHR route (or Sessions) and not adjust any of the assets they use.

Another valuable thing to know is that the Sun Colour setting also controls the darkness of the dynamic shadows. If it's set at pure black, the shadows disappear, so I recommend setting Sun Colour to a shade of grey (my preference is dark grey) then adjust the overall Light Brightness slider to suit.

Last edited by Dinorius_Redundicus; January 11th, 2020 at 11:30 PM.

Thanks, Deane but no score.

I can find that menu, but none of the three rotators or the bottom right slider actually work. They can't be selected. This prompted my memory, when 2019 was new I modified this panel for Verns Tasmanian route, they worked then, so it appears I did know what to do then and had forgotten. Even if I remembered, it does not change the fact that on my machine with 105096 it does not work.

Methinks I have unearthed a bug. Edit. Just checked another route and the same problem so it is not particular route related

light setting.jpg

Peter
    Last edited by narrowgauge; January 11th, 2020 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by narrowgauge View Post
    I can find that menu, but none of the three rotators or the bottom right slider actually work.
    They are tied to the time of day, so you have to have a time of day indicator highlighted before you can adjust them. That adjustment then applies to the time between the selected indicator and the next, so if you have several then you need to apply the settings to each one.

Well, I did say: "It needs to be set for each time point around the clock dial, same as for the colour and fog settings."

Not sure how I could have made that any clearer.

Sailordan

Thanks for reminding me. When i was searching for the solution, I clicked on every combination I could think of but not the green buttons. Duh!

Problem solved (I hope)

Peter

Deane

I know you did, and thank you, but as I have never bothered to create and setup a full route, and as the clock was set at midday I didn't probe far enough. My problem is that to me a route is just something to test on and I normally just use a new test route of one piece of track, just as it comes. Time is not important. In this instance I was using a completed route which worked on T:ane without any colour problems, I expected 2019 to be the same.

Thank you all.

Peter

OK, guys lets go back to the beginning of the thread.

With all the brightness settings as recommended for both T:ane and 20119, the same track still appears completely wrong in 2019. Same problem, scenery is dark and, and track is bright, and if I swing the time dot round the clock, there is no point at which it displays correctly. It just gets darker and lighter.

Thus I still have my update problem, at the moment my only recourse is to ignore 2019.

Peter

Is it worth experimenting with a different track type, either one of Malc's or the DMT 2ft procedural, see if that makes a difference.

But I do know where you are coming from, Peter. the default lighting setup in TRS19 is frankly rubbish and as I said just recently, it should not be necessary for the average user to have to start messing about with either monitor settings or advanced post processing to get an acceptable image on screen. No other game I've used forces you down this road.
    TRS 2019 Coach Class (Former Customer)

@narrowgauge

Have you already tried https://n3vgames.typeform.com/to/y4J2Rl ?
    Hope it helps.
    Josef
    TS10_49933 | TS12_61388 | TMR17_85470 | TANE_SP3_94916 | and finally TRS19_100240/105096

If it's an existing route it's worth doing a reset first (circular arrow top right in panel)

Chris.