Suggestion for Philskene and tunnels

rick1958

Just a suggestion for Philskene or other route creators.
The lack of digholes and seeing background textures in the tunnel portals is distracting, at least to me.
Has anyone thought of making a simple dark gray / black plane to slip into the portals or would that just make it worse?
I'm very aware of the dighole clunky ;imitations. It's a shame auran doesn't put some work into this feature.

... for that purpose i use spline <kuid2:156765:101346:1> "layout valance black" by simulatortrain ...
... it's a very high "curtain", so you have to let it sink into the ground : for level 0 = -48.00 ...

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

diorama-%3B-heart2hendee.jpg

have fun
grtz
daveric

One of the reasons why tunnels should be at or near the top of any improvement list for any future version(s) of Trainz. Nowhere are the shortcomings of the current system more apparent than when trying to accommodate a tunnel on a model based system. Even a 1 x 1 dighole rips too big a chunk out of the terrain mask and most tunnel portals need more than one to open up the tunnel mouth. We need to move to a system where the terrain is only opened to the size of the actual tunnel mouth, but without the limitation of the old system or something like Dovetail use - a re-sizeable decal which can be brought down to cover just the portal opening.

One of the reasons why tunnels should be at or near the top of any improvement list for any future version(s) of Trainz. Nowhere are the shortcomings of the current system more apparent than when trying to accommodate a tunnel on a model based system. Even a 1 x 1 dighole rips too big a chunk out of the terrain mask and most tunnel portals need more than one to open up the tunnel mouth. We need to move to a system where the terrain is only opened to the size of the actual tunnel mouth, but without the limitation of the old system or something like Dovetail use - a re-sizeable decal which can be brought down to cover just the portal opening.

Which is why I make my own tunnel portals that blend in with the terrain and are placed as trackside assets as in dropped onto the track, solves the issues of things moving!

... I make my own tunnel portals that blend in with the terrain and are placed as trackside assets ...
... i have your beautiful Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland <kuid2:425700:100063:1> (2016) ... installed in TRS19 105096, without missings nor faulties, and i'm grateful for the wonderful assets you made ... especially the handy as trackside to place tunnels :
<kuid2:425700:101892:1> CL Garnedd 01 Tunnel Portal
<kuid2:425700:101893:1> CL Garnedd 02 Tunnel Portal
<kuid2:425700:100367:1> CL FR Moelwyn Tunnel North Portal
<kuid2:425700:102000:1> CL FR Moelwyn Tunnel South Portal
<kuid:425700:100365> CL WHR Tunnel 04 North Portal
<kuid:425700:100366> CL WHR Tunnel 04 South Portal
... most tailor-made for your own route ...

however, the most useful is your : <kuid:425700:102268> CL NG24 Tunnel Portal (... also used for standard gauge ...)

tunnel-portal-by-clam152.jpg

it could be used even more if there are fewer sides to it, as the portal in my example ...
is it possible you can make one with only the portal entry, maybe with some (short) length of "tunnel" ? ..
i think, many trainzers will gratefully use it, just like all those other assets of yours ... at least philskene and i and rick1958 certainly ...
anyway, most respect for your skills and visions ... thankz for sharing ...
grtz
daveric

Yes Malc's tunnel portals are excellent and as you say at a squeeze can be used for UK at least, standard gauge. With regard to the pre grass textured embankment for an urban setting or where you are tunnelling into a cliff, might be worth disguising with stone retaining walls, FMA or similar.

I usually just center the tunnel portal base floor on the center of the 1x1 dighole grid, and shove some trees in the 1x1 dighole gaps

Which is why I make my own tunnel portals that blend in with the terrain and are placed as trackside assets as in dropped onto the track, solves the issues of things moving!
I came to the same conclusion for the 2 tunnels on my route. Plus several mine entrances with 3'ng track and mule power or steam winch and cables. Making the portals trackside objects sounds interesting.

Bob Pearson

Back