Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: could some one explain signals?

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by ecco View Post
    The problem with that is if you have many AI trains and many "legs" you have to instruct every train to use each of the trackmarks.

A This is the MainLine Marker like the Track Direction Markers would be really great - Right N3V? We can dream.
    There are three possible directions and nine track marks total, and an AI driver will only use 3 of them. Head north. Mainline---Mid-right---Northern line. It's not as bad as you think, and if you have lots of AI drivers, you can us the Schedule Library with the Copy Commands From... insert schedule setup.

The Schedule Library, once used, will be your best friend for life as long as you create routes and AI schedules.

I agree having a MainLine Marker would be great. Insert a marker and be done with it.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 105100

Quote Originally Posted by pware View Post
    Track Priority Markers can be used to direct AI trains with matching priorities through set routes.

Thank you - Thank you - Thank you. Prior to seeing your post I took two tipples on the Clinchfield route out of commission because the AI was "shortcutting" through them and causing head-to-head meets.

I set up a little test with a "shortcut". I made my loco Priority 1. I put a Priority 3 Track Marker on the shortcut. I told the AI to drive from A to B. It bypassed the shortcut like the plague. Yay!

Live and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by JCitron View Post
    There are three possible directions and nine track marks total, and an AI driver will only use 3 of them. Head north. Mainline---Mid-right---Northern line. It's not as bad as you think, and if you have lots of AI drivers, you can us the Schedule Library with the Copy Commands From... insert schedule setup.

The Schedule Library, once used, will be your best friend for life as long as you create routes and AI schedules.

I agree having a Main Line Marker would be great. Insert a marker and be done with it.
    I have used the Copy Commands From... Insert Schedule. But with different starting points and different stops it's not an ideal solution.

Thanks to pware, I now know about the Track Priority Markers and how to use them. See posts 13 and 17.

Blog Entries

I am glad it worked out.

A word of caution about using Priority Markers: They work best when used with matching priority values given to consists.

Placing a Track Priority marker set to 3 on a loop will force all consists with priority level 3 through the loop - baring any obstructions such as locked switches or another consist already occupying the track, in which case priority level 3 consists will bypass the loop. However, it will not always stop consists with priority levels 1 or 2 from using that loop, particularly if the only alternative route is blocked.

The default priority level for all consists is 2* so placing another Track Priority marker set to 2 on the alternative route will force all consists with level 2 through the alternative (baring obstructions as mentioned above). Adding another marker with level 1 alongside the level 2 marker will force all consists that do not have level 3 through the alternative route.

The Trainz Wiki reference is at http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/i...iority_Markers

*EDIT: I have noticed that the initial priority level of all consists since TRS19 SP1 now seems to be 0 but consists with levels of 1, 2 or 3 cannot be set to 0. I have submitted a bug report.
    Last edited by pware; January 13th, 2020 at 05:05 PM.
    TRS19 Platinum 105100 - TRS19 SP1 (standard) 105096 - TANE SP4 (RC beta) 105476

This thread forced me to go back and revisit some basics. I wanted to try some different signals and I setup a "square" loop with passing sidings on each of the four sides. For "test one" (no signals at all) I placed 2 short consists on track and let them go. I was amazed that some of the "main line" switches wouldn't remain set for main line running. After a train passed they would reset back to the siding. Then it hit me, a switch/turnout will set back to the state it was in at the start of the session, it doesn't remain as is after the train passes. I think I had learned this about a year ago but had totally forgotten! I had not set turnout positions at the start of the session. How easy it is to forget and assume.
    TRS19 SP1(Plus), 105100(plus), 105932(+beta)
    ASUS B450M-A/CSM, GTX 1060-6 Windforce

[QUOTE=1611mac;1789045 After a train passed they would reset back to the siding. Then it hit me, a switch/turnout will set back to the state it was in at the start of the session.[/QUOTE]

And remembering also that the default setting can be set at the time the junction is created.

And remembering also that the default setting can be set at the time the junction is created.
    Yes... and of course, that's the proper time to set it. But it's just so easy to throw it in and move on, forgetting to set it.
    TRS19 SP1(Plus), 105100(plus), 105932(+beta)
    ASUS B450M-A/CSM, GTX 1060-6 Windforce

I am glad it worked out.

... baring any obstructions such as locked switches or another consist already occupying the track...

The Trainz Wiki reference is at http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/i...iority_Markers
    Thanks again. The wiki was also helpful.

My only concern about Priority Markers is the "blocked path" caveat. I can see where a following train will think a path is blocked and take an unwanted path only to later end up blocked permanently. I wonder if the Priority Markers handle "NavigateTo", "DriveTo", and "CallAt" differently.

Time will tell.

Do you know if "CallAt" acts like "NavigateTo" or "DriveTo"?

I would much rather the train just waits until the blockage is resolved. In "the real world" I can't see an engineer making a decision to go around a blockage instead of just waiting until it clears.

Blog Entries

I would much rather the train just waits until the blockage is resolved. In "the real world" I can't see an engineer making a decision to go around a blockage instead of just waiting until it clears.
    That is what the "Drive To" and "Drive Via" commands do. They will not attempt to find their own way around a blockage - unlike "Navigate To" and "Navigate Via" commands. I have never used the "CallAt" command so I am unable to answer that one.

Priority markers cannot be used as destinations or waypoints so "Drive" and "Navigate" commands are not effected. The loop or track section containing the marker is simply seen by the AI as a part of the shortest route (or not) when it is calculating the path to take - a step that both the "Drive" and "Navigate" commands perform. If the path containing the marker is occupied when that calculation is made then it will no longer be seen as the shortest, regardless of the presence of the marker.

The "Drive" commands do not update the shortest route calculation once it has been initially made, so if the selected path is blocked at some later time then the path will not be changed, unlike the case with the "Navigate" commands.
    Last edited by pware; January 14th, 2020 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Addendum
    TRS19 Platinum 105100 - TRS19 SP1 (standard) 105096 - TANE SP4 (RC beta) 105476

Have a look at my last thread "Enhanced Interlocking Tower Guru Needed" in the 2019 forum. After some exchanges with Pierre (PGUY), I came to realize there is an elegant solution for a single track mainline using his towers and the tcb (track circuit block) option in the towers. There is a link in my next-to-last post that has everythng required. It all works, and is fairly easy to setup. It also has the advantage of each tower controlling its own arrivals and departures -- much closer to prototypical operations.

Robert704
    Tacoma & Eastern RR (v)

The "Drive" commands do not update the shortest route calculation once it has been initially made, so if the selected path is blocked at some later time then the path will not be changed, unlike the case with the "Navigate" commands.
    Thanks for the feedback.