Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TRS19 Coal Country Session Coal to Richmond

United States of America, Alabama, Birmingham

I don't know how far off in the woods you want to go but this might interest you.

All locomotives and rolling stock use a dependency called an enginespec to define the physics of how they perform in game. Years ago a creator had a choice to either create the enginespec themselves or use one created by someone else. In fact, there were several users who created many enginespec files and made them available for others to use. Trainzproroutes was one place to get enginespecs for different locomotives. In the config.txt file of the loco or rolling stock you will see the enginespec tag and the kuid of the one used. You can simply change the kuid to another enginespec file to alter the performance of the vehicle or you can open the enginespec file itself in explorer and edit the config.txt file directly to change the performance.

Both TANE and TRS2019 have the Test Track program available from the File menu of Content Manager. This program is designed to allow users to fine tune the enginespec of locos in a graphical
    environment. I don't know how to use it but there are instructions in the TANE manual and in the wiki for TRS2019. You could tweak the enginespecs to get the performance to be more realistic.

William

William,

Was much amused by your reference to "wandering off into the woods" and by implication, the possible perils therein!

I was aware of engine specs and that some have only a passing affinity to the prototype locomotive they purport to replicate. I actually have a "Forum Friend" here in the UK who has significantly improved the performance of some indifferent performers.

I hadn't previously been tempted, as you put it, to wander off into the woods, but as you have kindly erected some signposts and advised the existence of two possibly useful "maps", I might be tempted.

regards

John

United States of America, Texas, Dickinson

Haha. Yes, I've had to "alter" the enginespec in the past to get engines to a) work when an upgrade suddenly stopped them from working, or b) work more closely to the actual engine being portrayed.

Pitmilly, if you have suggestions on the alterations of the RPPX engines, I'd consider wandering off into the woods as well. I like these sessions, and it is great that people even go to the effort of creating them, considering the amount of work and effort that it takes to make a session that works right.

Heinrich505

Hello Heinrich

Apologies for the delay in getting back - domestic issues!

I won't be looking at e-specs anytime soon but - see my PM to you.

regards

John

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scratchy View Post
    Weird! I know I made it damn close to the weight that will make you stall but all the times I have tried I could (just) get over the mountain. I'll have another go but yeah it went more or less exactly like in Flamerailz video!
    Just though you might take a look at this thread https://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...eight-problems. It might be the reason some can make it up the grade and some can't. And nothing to do with your computers power.

I mentioned, I can't get the 2-10-0 (sanders on, safeties popping and no wheel slip) up the short 2.2% grade with 14 loaded hoppers after several tries in your PRR decapod session (from K&L site). I have another problem I saw that I'll PM you about later.

Bob Pearson

PS. In my case coal density doesn't appear to have affected the tonnage since both my versions of TANE and TRS19 used the same coal product (same version and density value). I'll try to get a PM off tonight.

PPS. It appears that anyone using TRS19 SP1 or any version update that uses the updated Auran base coal product could have this problem. Hoppers loading coal and having a maxweight limit enforced might be ok but any that don't and just load based on queue size will definitely see an increase in weight. The increase is a substantial amount - about 60% of original weight carried. if these hoppers loaded/carried 50 tons of coal in the session in TANE or TRS19, now in TRS19 SP1 they load 80 tons.
    Last edited by RPearson; January 25th, 2020 at 04:40 AM.
    TRAINZ-UTC-TRS04-TRS06-TC1&2-TC3-TS09-TS10-TS12-TANE(TEG)-TMR17-TS19
    Member since 6-14-2002

Gents,
    I want to thank p-dehnert for that intriguing detail about the coal loads changing.

I went back to the session TS19 Coal to Richmond and started as usual. Once I had loaded all the coal hoppers, I edited the session on the fly. I was going to change the coal loads from the full 90800 to around 2/3rds of that. I roughly calculated that to be a load of 90800 x 2/3 = 60534 (rounded up). The session wouldn't let me change the loads to the cars, so I deleted them and replaced them with the same 12 coal hoppers, but this time loaded them with 60534 instead of the 90800.

At the message to hit V (sander) and throw the throttle to notch 8, I was doing 18mph. I did this and was speeding at 24/20mph limit as I hit the base of the hill. From there I lost speed quickly, but was doing 12mph across the trestle and 11mph as I started up the grade after the trestle. I made it all the way up.

I retried this, but only hit the V key at the message, and didn't throw the throttle to notch 8 until almost at the 20mph sign. So, I wasn't speeding as I started up the hill. Speed bled off quickly again, but I was doing 11mph as I approached the trestle, and kept up the 11mph all the way over the trestle, and actually increased to 12mph as I got close to the switch to the siding. Again, success.

The long and short of this is, by reducing the coal amount by 1/3, which is about what the Auran Coal kuid change was, I am able to finish the session as intended by Scratchy.

That kuid change definitely had a negative impact on sessions that had been created using coal loads. I'm thinking that the sessions 03 - Coal Service and the PRR Decapod Coal Load will now be successfully completed if the coal load is reduced by 1/3rd for each coal hopper.

Heinrich505

Note - I reduced the coal load by 1/3 for each car in the session 03 - Coal Service and made it to the top of the hill with no problems.

I'm happy to report that, with the coal kuid2:44179:60013:2 in place, Scratchy's session TS19 Coal to Richmond was completed with no problems. I was able to get the coal consist up and over the hill as per the session, with the two engines. Richmond is rejoicing, because the coal shipments had become infrequent as the RR had to borrow more powerful motive power to get the loads across the mountain. Thanks N3V!

Heinrich505