Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: assets rendered incompatible through updating.

Quote Originally Posted by SailorDan View Post
    Then the solution is to delete that item, as I stated. Depending on the installation, this might require installing the earlier version. Then, with the dependency and the dependant compatible, there is no error. Is there some reason this is not possible?

Why not? Assets do not get removed from the DLS, so if it was there previously it is still there. What is the asset that you believe has disappeared?

The point of my comment is that no update is required, so that's not relevant.

Do you mean "... can be installed with two different KUID version numbers that have different build number"? There is no difficulty in that at all: the system will always use the asset with the higher KUID version number. So if that asset is incompatible with some other asset, then it needs to be removed. But if you mean "...how do I arrange things so the two assets with different KUID versions and different build numbers are installed, but some dependent assets use one version and other dependent assets use the other version?" then it can't be done. In that case the likely fix is to remove the dependent asset that relies on the later version dependency, so everything is back at the level where it is all compatible.
    Let me reiterate , the issue is, . Ben Dorsey’s
    Ury Mack depots which have Curtis’s track are now unable to be used in tane if any user has to download them off the Dls as he had updated his track to 2019 standards using the same kuid number that was used for tane .it would have been better if he had uploaded a separate 2019 version with a different kuid, but he hasnt . As this item is bens I cannot change it on the dls, I will have to change the track used, then upload as a new asset. I can only do this because Ben allowed us to do this with his assets. It is part of a route not yet released. It is not just a matter of me just reinstalling the original which I could do, but When the route is released unless I made a reskin with different track, no one who downloaded the route could use the as set that is currently on the dls in tane. As it happens I can change bens assets and work around this issue, but if Curtis does this to all of his assets it is going to play merry hell with lots of routes . In some cases it may well be that his track or assets are used in assets made by others which we are not allowed to modify. It’s all very well to say “reinstall the original” but that will not work if I want to put the route on dls for distribution to people who do not have already have copies of the older tane versions. There is also the small matter of if one had a hard drive loss which contained all backups , because then, where do you find the original ? My gripe is because i’m Making two routes that I will have make changes to both because assets are no longer usable in a version of trains that is still for sale and hasn’t even had its last revision. Surely there has to be a way to stop this from happening as it throws a huge spanner in the works for anyone route building who is still working in Tane.
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

Quote Originally Posted by dangavel View Post
    Let me reiterate , the issue is, . Ben Dorsey’s Ury Mack depots which have Curtis’s track are now unable to be used in tane if any user has to download them off the Dls as he had updated his track to 2019 standards using the same kuid number that was used for tane .
    This can't happen. It is not possible to upload an item to the DLS with the KUID of an item that is already on the DLS. If you believe that this has happened you should quote the asset KUID so that the error can be independently verified and reported to N3V for fixing.

Quote Originally Posted by SailorDan View Post
    This can't happen. It is not possible to upload an item to the DLS with the KUID of an item that is already on the DLS. If you believe that this has happened you should quote the asset KUID so that the error can be independently verified and reported to N3V for fixing.
    It can if N3V update the asset - they've done it to one of my enginespecs (with less than glorious results I might add).

Blog Entries

To me there is an obvious problem if an asset is updated (even by N3V if they choose to) without an update to its kuid.

Assume that I have downloaded and installed an asset from the DLS. If that same asset is later updated without changing its kuid then, according to what I understand happens, how will my CM detect that it has been updated? I thought that the whole purpose of using the incremental :z values at the end of the kuid is so that CM can detect that an asset has been updated if its :z kuid value is greater than the same asset I have installed.

Or am I totally misunderstanding the whole process?
    TRS19 Platinum 105100 - TRS19 SP1 (standard) 105096 - TANE SP4 (RC beta) 105476

Time to stop spinning the tires in the mud. What is the EXACT Kuid of the offending asset please.
    "Cave Johnson. We're done here."

well, I don't know what had occurred here, but now the asset has installed the track mesh library and ...... its showing no issues , so I'm flummoxed. however , the track is now showing TWO versions, one for 2019 , one for TANE , perhaps pencil has responded to my pm about the matter...
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

Blog Entries

... or the Fat Controller in the sky has smiled upon you
    TRS19 Platinum 105100 - TRS19 SP1 (standard) 105096 - TANE SP4 (RC beta) 105476

Quote Originally Posted by pware View Post
    ... or the Fat Controller in the sky has smiled upon you

well ,whatever the cause , I'm a lot happier.

United States of America, Massachusetts (originally from NYC)
    Blog Entries

well, I don't know what had occurred here, but now the asset has installed the track mesh library and ...... its showing no issues , so I'm flummoxed. however , the track is now showing TWO versions, one for 2019 , one for TANE , perhaps pencil has responded to my pm about the matter...
    Hi, remember me, I'm the original respondent in Post #2 below. Frankly it troubles me that you don't know what occurred. In your post #3 it looks like fundamental checks and backup recovery suggested were dismissed because of this perspective:

Yeah,thats all very well, but its a big hassle for anyone who doesn't use 2019 and just leads to more frustration and angst...
    I've been too busy this week to reply earlier to post #3 and later, but I wanted to. Now please retag the username of the TANE-compliant one so it doesn't get overwritten like the previous version that was working before your re-installation of the Uintah route.

Also, if you want to publish a route, its a good idea not to include "composite assets" (i.e. track and structure) as you see one of the pitfalls here.
    Last edited by deneban; January 10th, 2020 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deneban View Post
    Hi, remember me, I'm the original respondent in Post #2 below. Frankly it troubles me that you don't know what occurred. In your post #3 it looks like fundamental checks and backup recovery suggested were dismissed because of this perspective:

I've been too busy this week to reply earlier to post #3 and later, but I wanted to. Now please retag the username of the TANE-compliant one so it doesn't get overwritten like the previous version that was working before your re-installation of the Uintah route.

Also, if you want to publish a route, its a good idea not to include "composite assets" (i.e. track and structure) as you see one of the pitfalls here.
    Don't make high and mighty judgements about me mate, your bedside manner comes over as lacking , for your information I work on macs, Ive had a major issue with the one i use and its off for repair along with my drive and backups. I'm trying to restore some routes on my pc and thus used the DLS to download assets I usually have on my MAC hard drives . I downloaded the asset from the DLS made for me by Ben Dorsey, it did not exist on my PC, so I did not 'overwrite it ". Ben used the track made by another content creator for the asset, not me . The track showed as incompatible , only usable in 2019. I've since sent a PM to pencil and he may have rectified the situation as I am sure there were NOT two versions of this asset when I did a DLS search a few days ago.Also another person found the same issue with other assets made by him, so he may have uploaded items and overwritten them by mistake.

Today I tried it again with a different result, it appears that since I tried to download this asset a couple of days ago,the item that been updated to 2019 which had the kuid number 124060:38087:2 has now been restored to work in TANE ,whereas before it was incompatible ,BUT there is also now also 124060:38087:3 version 3 there, with a different description, which is designed for 2019.

I can't change the content of one of Ben Dorseys assets on the DLS or change pencil42s track back to work with TANE anymore than you can.What do you expect me to do if I find assets that used to work are now incompatible, wave my wand and conduct magic ?
    Last edited by dangavel; January 11th, 2020 at 12:55 AM.

Today I tried it again with a different result, it appears that since I tried to download this asset a couple of days ago,the item that been updated to 2019 which had the kuid number 124060:38087:2 has now been restored to work in TANE ,whereas before it was incompatible ,BUT there is also now also 124060:38087:3 version 3 there, with a different description, which is designed for 2019.
    <KUID2:124060:38087:2> has been on the DLS since 13th June 2013. It is compatible with Trainz versions TS2009 and later. <KUID2:124060:38087:3> has been on the DLS since 24th January 2019 and is compatible with TRS19 and later. So nothing has changed in the last couple of days.

You could have saved yourself a great deal of concern over this issue by more carefully considering the situation before jumping to conclusions about the problem and the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by 2995Valliant View Post
    It can if N3V update the asset - they've done it to one of my enginespecs (with less than glorious results I might add).
    Perhaps. But my comment referred to uploading to the DLS, not manually updating the DLS database.

United States of America, Massachusetts (originally from NYC)
    Blog Entries

Hi Dan,

I can't change the content of one of Ben Dorseys assets on the DLS or change pencil42s track back to work with TANE anymore than you can.What do you expect me to do if I find assets that used to work are now incompatible, wave my wand and conduct magic ?
    What I would expect to be done, since you've asked me specifically now what I expected, and not stemming from a judgement, is pretty much what I said in Post #2:

Quote Originally Posted by deneban View Post
    By and large, the DLS already does this (i.e. provides obsolete versions of assets). Often you can retrieve an older version on the DLS with "Download this Version" in the Content Manager after retrieving available versions from a "List Asset Versions" request.
    Here we go, following the first line in the first reply of this thread, the solution was given 2 dozen posts ago. Download the ":2" version and delete the :3 version from your PC and viola, Ben Dorsey's asset is working again.

I confirm with SailorDan, that the ":3" version is a year old, inferring there was no intervention.

Sorry to be judgmental, but it is only a natural human response to a flailing at the correct and helpful answer your thread colleagues stated at least 3 times.
    Last edited by deneban; January 11th, 2020 at 02:32 AM.