Thoughts For Our Australian Friends

Just been looking at a horrendous looking map showing the current fires, looks like they are facing an impossible task, doesn't seem to be any end in sight yet.

Stay safe and if told to evacuate then do it!

New Zealand is sending firefighters to help fight the bushfires as well. Smoke from the bushfires is crossing the Tasman Sea to darken our skies in some parts of New Zealand so we're constantly being reminded of the horror of these terrible fires in Australia.

There were warnings about another "fire holocaust day" coming on the Saturday with temperatures in the 40s (Celsius).

Those predictions have come to pass. Record breaking temperatures throughout much of the state (NSW) - one suburb near me reached 48.9 C (120F). Many of the fires that were burning at a low level have now flared back into full emergency level. Most of the tourists in the South Coast region of NSW have already been evacuated through the various open highways yesterday and the day before. In the neighbouring state of Victoria naval vessels had to be used to take about 1000 people (and their pets) on a 20hr voyage to safety.

All the highways have been closed again and most of the major towns are now completely cut off, many without power. Residents and any remaining tourists have been moved to "more secure" evacuation centres in the towns. A very strong cold change is now blowing up the coast from the south tonight. For some towns it represents salvation because they had a fire front advancing on them from the north. The change will turn it back. For other towns the change will increase the danger.

One fire has destroyed a major electricity line that supplies the state with 10% of its power so people have been asked to reduce their electricity usage - not easy on a day when an air-conditioner is all that stands between you and a meltdown (literally).

Fires are now burning in most states.

Tomorrow, Sunday, is promising to be a much cooler and better day. There is even the promise of showers during the coming week.

There is currently a band of light to moderate rain moving through Gippsland, hopefully it buckets down on the fire zone.
cheers
Graeme

Like much of the Australian east coast, here in the Blue Mountains the persistent smoke haze from the fires has been unprecedented. While Katoomba has so far not been listed as under threat, fires have been burning to the north and south of us for many weeks, getting quite (too) close at times, and resulting in property damage in some nearby areas.

Record high temperatures have been set, and then repeatedly broken, over the last several weeks. Yesterday (Saturday) was predicted to be one of the worst days yet. Ironically, in my town it was the first time we have seen a dawn in ages, and the day remained clear until after nightfall, although we could see a large plume of smoke in the distance. With the onset of night for the first time we could see the flicking flames across the valley, about 20kms to the south of us. Then the wind then swung around, blowing the smoke again towards us, and the flames and glow disappeared in the smoke and dark. Thankfully that particular fire was downgraded from 'Emergency' to 'Watch and Act' over the period of a sleepless night. A shower or two is forecast for tonight. It won't put out the fire, but should slow its advance.

It is often said that a crisis brings out the best in humanity, and that certainly seems to be the case for this disaster. The media reports are full of acts of bravery and generosity. People have come from all over the country (and world), to help in the response to the fires. In Australia most firies and support personnel are volunteers. They are all heroes!

Phil

There is currently a band of light to moderate rain moving through Gippsland, hopefully it buckets down on the fire zone.

Hopefully but unfortunately unlikely. But even if it did, the hottest part of summer is yet to come. February is traditionally the peak of the fire season.

I've looked at a lot of bush fire links over the last few days but this one is probably the best that demonstrates the smoke issue. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-01/smoke-shrouds-australia-as-nsw-bushfires-continue/11835734 Look at the second photo down the list that shows Aus and NZ.

I read recently that the most visited website in Australian in 2019 was the "fires near me" website showing fires in New South Wales. I'd agree with that since I've had the page open for days and am constantly checking it.

I think when this is all over we (Aus) need a special day to honour our firefighters and especially the volunteers.

Seems Phil is rather close to me. We are near Lithgow and had the car partly packed ready to run as the fire front came within 4kms of us. Lithgow got burnt on the edges with a few houses lost. We have had for some time American and Canadian aircraft to bomb these fires, and I don't know what we'd do without all the external help we have had. I hear France is also offering help and many other nations. As I've said for a long time, we all stand on one planet, borders these days are irrelevant.

Back