TRS19 - work in progress

Phil,
It looks wonderful. I've caught all 4 videos, and each one is better than the previous one. Your 4th is stunning - a veritable Winter Wonderland. I had to put on a jacket halfway through the video and I swear the temperature in my computer room dropped by about 15 degrees. The Dispatcher better have a lot of hot coffee for Chuck and Joe when they get done on this run. As hot as it is for y'all "Down-under," it's no wonder you are experimenting with snow on your route.

Really great work Phil! Your route will be yet another winner in a long line of successful routes. :Y:

Heinrich505

For those following the portal issue. The ones suggested above didn't work for various reasons -- either too high, too wide, ... .

I searched to the Far Corners of the Universe. Eventually I settled on "FG Shadow spline Tunnel h20" on the Download Station. It's a height adjustable spline so it can be a bit fiddly to get it placed exactly.

did you finish??

Phil, did you finish this "work in progress" layout?? If so, what did it get named? (See, I'm looking for all your TRS19 stuff!) By the way, I couldn't reply on one of your threads, I can only assume it's locked, but anyway, I went and bought the K&L Norfolk & Western 2-8-8-4 because of your AMAZING screenshots, lol. Man that thing is beautiful.

Phil, you always do such an outstanding job on your routes that it is hard to make a qualitative comparison with a few videos. I can only say this looks absolutely up to your usual high standards, which means pretty much flawless. Sorry I couldn't give you more constructive criticism!

RE: tunnels & dig holes - I'm a rookie at this stuff but couldn't you use a dark spline object (like a wall) set back inside the tunnel entrance. Something to act as a black "curtain." I've only played around with routes but I have a portal that uses this idea and it would seem to work well if there was an appropriate asset (solid black, height of typical portal). Maybe it's just me but seeing the mountain/rock in the tunnel says "under construction, don't come in here" while a black curtain says "not perfect, but best we can do.. come on in."

I have what you guys looking for. Maybe.

Made it for my MRR routes. Look for <kuid2:521966:21144:1> RC Tunnel_Shadow Entrance

I also have a series of Tunnel portals in U.S Stone block style, and a Euro fat oval entrance style.

RC Euro Stone Tunnel Portal Grey stone and RC Stone Tunnel Portal Grey stone, both styles, in several sizes.

Also an NG Logging/Mining tunnel (wood beam construction) in grey and tan wood tones.

RC NG Logging/Mining Tunnel Portal

jTHQjTb
image.png
jTHQjTb

You can see
how the tunnel shadow looks here, at the 0:50, 2:45 and 4:25 minmarks :)

Rico

Last edited:
Oh……

philskene;[URL="tel:1904508" said:
1904508[/URL]]Did I finish it? Yes, I did. But I went over to the Dark Side, sold my soul to the Devil for a few shekels of silver and N3V released it payware.

See here:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?156369-The-Cilie-Oldphartz-Railroads

Phil

Oh, so this became Cilie Oldphartz! The very one that impressed me above all others. I somehow got the NG version off the Download Store. I guess it’s pre-2019? Man, I can’t imagine it looking even better in a 2019 version. I shall have to find out, I suppose. 😁

Toolman --

This is the version for T:ANE that's on the Download Station:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SICpR20eQ4I&t

This is the payware version for TRS19 from the Trainz Store:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xvQLMKwqC0&t

Here:

https://store.trainzportal.com/products/the-cilie-oldphartz-railroads

Phil
_____

Edit:

I've just visited the Download Station "White Pages". I am humbled by the fact that several of my TRS19 layouts have been downloaded more than 3,000 times. The "TRS19 - The Mann, Phrom, Laramee RR - Model Trainz Layout" shows 5,617 downloads. I'm amazed that so many people bother to download these small tabletop layouts.

Last edited:
oh shut up

Toolman --

This is the version for T:ANE that's on the Download Station:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SICpR20eQ4I&t

This is the payware version for TRS19 from the Trainz Store:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xvQLMKwqC0&t

Here:

https://store.trainzportal.com/products/the-cilie-oldphartz-railroads

Phil
_____

Edit:

I've just visited the Download Station "White Pages". I am humbled by the fact that several of my TRS19 layouts have been downloaded more than 3,000 times. The "TRS19 - The Mann, Phrom, Laramee RR - Model Trainz Layout" shows 5,617 downloads. I'm amazed that so many people bother to download these small tabletop layouts.

Oh, shut-up-and-take-my-money, lol. Seriously, I just bought Oldphartz, even though I already had a free one, lol. Your video of the 2019 version was amazing. Thanks again, I can hardly wait. I have tomorrow off!

not surprised

Well I'm not the least bit surprised at how many people have downloaded your layouts, they are all amazing!! I just can't begin to imagine how much time it has taken you to create them. The details are incredible. My favorite remains the Cilie Oldphartz though, for one big reason - you can set a (small, no mallets) train running at about 23mph, and it will just keep making a circuit, around and around. It allows one to just enjoy it as a 'model railroad', heavy on the watch-and-enjoy, light on the 'sim' aspect. When our granddaughters spent the night with us recently, for Christmas I had put up my little all-B&O N-Scale Mikado train set on the kitchen table and they loved it, then I got a train running on the Oldphartz and they were fascinated, and loved that as well. The 3 year old even found the horn button on the keyboard.

I got Trainz originally for the model railroading aspect. If I had money and space, I'd love a room filled with a layout, but I have neither. Trainz allows us to have layouts that would cost MANY thousands of dollars, virtually, at a fraction of the cost. I can't help playing with the real/big routes, especially when they correspond to my own experiences and places, but I will always love the 'model railroad' layouts the best.

Well I'm not the least bit surprised at how many people have downloaded your layouts, they are all amazing!! I just can't begin to imagine how much time it has taken you to create them. The details are incredible. My favorite remains the Cilie Oldphartz though, for one big reason - you can set a (small, no mallets) train running at about 23mph, and it will just keep making a circuit, around and around. It allows one to just enjoy it as a 'model railroad', heavy on the watch-and-enjoy, light on the 'sim' aspect. When our granddaughters spent the night with us recently, for Christmas I had put up my little all-B&O N-Scale Mikado train set on the kitchen table and they loved it, then I got a train running on the Oldphartz and they were fascinated, and loved that as well. The 3 year old even found the horn button on the keyboard.

I got Trainz originally for the model railroading aspect. If I had money and space, I'd love a room filled with a layout, but I have neither. Trainz allows us to have layouts that would cost MANY thousands of dollars, virtually, at a fraction of the cost. I can't help playing with the real/big routes, especially when they correspond to my own experiences and places, but I will always love the 'model railroad' layouts the best.

That's a great to hear about your granddaughters enjoying Trainz. My little nephew loved it as well. At 4 years old going on 5, he built his first route that he enjoyed for hours. I showed him the tools and let him have at it. His favorite part was making "mountains" then driving between them. I saw him recently and now at 11 years old he asked me if I still play with Trainz and his eyes lit up when he saw TRS19.

Phil's routes are really beautiful and also really enjoyable to drive. There are days when I go through the different sessions for hours sometimes instead of working on my own projects. The beautifully done routes make the driving experience even better with all the details that really must've taken many hours of work to place and adjust into the right place. It's routes like this that inspire me to make my own work better and I use them as a learning tool in addition to driving and enjoying the session.

I got Trainz for the same reason back in December 2004 and I haven't looked back since. I too have neither the space nor the money to remain in the hobby. In December 2003, I picked up a copy of TRS2004 at CompUSA and that was the end of my N-scale model railroad, and so much for using Trainz as a design program! I ended up creating a digital recreation of the same layout in a real-world environment after playing around with the different tools. The original route, started in early January 2005 still exists in part and is still usable today in TRS19 and TR22 where I have been replacing and updating the old, almost laughable construction, with totally renewed and renovated baseboards.

Back