Tutorial: Add a product of your own choice to a rail car

MSGSapper

Trainz route developer
Most content authors, including me, pre-configure our rail cars, passenger or freight, with a list of product queues that a user can quickly choose to either load or unload. What if you want to add a product queue to a rail car which is not on the pre-configured list? This tutorial will show you how to do that. For the purpose of this tutorial I am using TRS19 and the following built-in to TRS19 boxcar as shown:

<kuid2:128368:480009:2> 50ft Boxcar UP 173002

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Also for the purpose of this tutorial I am going to use my <kuid2:439337:100473:2> Bread racked on Pallet product, which you can download from the DLS. Note: This version of the product is for TRS19.

First go into Surveyor to edit the properties of this boxcar. Be sure to zoom in on it before going to the next step.

Now click on the TRAINS tab. Now click the ? button as shown below:

Add-a-product-SS-1.jpg

Now click on the box car and you will see a list of the existing product queues for that rail car. Now click the + icon as shown in the image below:

Add-a-product-SS-2.jpg

A pop up product list will appear. Now scroll until you find Bread Rack on Pallet and click on it to select it. Now click the check mark button to finish the product selection process as shown below:

My-product-Tutorial-1.jpg

The product should now show up in the box car. I configure the load to show 9 units of this product and click the check mark button to close this popup window. See this image below:

My-product-Tutorial-2.jpg

If you have done everything right the Boxcar should now show up in Surveyor looking like this:

My-product-Tutorial-3.jpg

Congratulations, you have now added a product of your own choice to this rail car!

This mechanism works for almost any kind of rail car, passenger or freight, but the product must be compatible to that type rail car. Example: You cannot add a coal bulk load to a box car or passenger car.

I hope this helps folks out there with this process.

BTW I currently have over 288 products of all types, visible and non-visible, for TRS19 on the DLS. You can find these listed under the username of MSGSapper. FYI 99% of these are build 4.6 items and have been tested and work well with TRS19.

Bob

Last edited:
Hi Bob --

It can also be done "on the run" in Driver. This video:

Note, however, that in TRS19 SP1 Edit Trainz is now hidden in one of the menus at the top left of the screen.

Phil

Hi
Where can I find out how to add a product to a car that has no existing loads?
Thanks
Allen
For that you'll have to do it in the config file of the car. maybe tedious but it works. What I do, is do the copy and paste method, where you copy the lines of commodities on a car that carries goods, and paste on the "non goods carrier car". Of course you may not want these commodities, so you'll have to change the KUID's.

At this point i have to say that the method described in above posts is fine and works on the fly. But if the modified car enters in a portal, you lose your settings, because what goes into a portal is not what comes out, even if it looks the same. Using the config file method assures you that what comes out of the portal will be the same.

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for this. Especially the explanation about the config files and bumping the thread, haha. This answered most of the questions I initially came onto this forum to ask.

This is a tangential question, and I feel like I'm missing something obvious. When editing Multiple Industry New, in the "Products" tab: how do you select more than one railcar? For instance if I have multiple types of grain hoppers, how do I configure the industry to load wheat into all of them? It seems to only let me choose one particular railcar at a time, not even a whole type of railcars.

Hey, thanks for this. Especially the explanation about the config files and bumping the thread, haha. This answered most of the questions I initially came onto this forum to ask.

This is a tangential question, and I feel like I'm missing something obvious. When editing Multiple Industry New, in the "Products" tab: how do you select more than one railcar? For instance if I have multiple types of grain hoppers, how do I configure the industry to load wheat into all of them? It seems to only let me choose one particular railcar at a time, not even a whole type of railcars.

You probably need to see my other tutorial at:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?156053-Tutorial-Understanding-BI3-Industry-Tracks

BTW there is no way to load all the cars using MIN, although it can be done in other ways.

Bob

Back