QuickDrive in SP1?

epa

Angry Trainz Nerd
One of my favorite things about TRS19 was the new QuickDrive feature, which allowed users to place trains and just... go... without having to create a new session or anything. And you weren't limited to prebuilt consists like you were in T:ANE. All in all, it was one of my favorite ways to test a new route or just do a quick run without messing with another session.

So I fired up TRS19 after upgrading to SP1 - particularly, build 105100 - and QuickDrive, one of my favorite new features, is GONE! Furthermore, the QuickDrive button on the menubar in Surveyor is gone as well. Which means you now have to exit surveyor and launch the session manually instead of just hitting the little driver button.

Are these features really gone, or are they just hidden away somewhere? It seems quite a bit has changed in SP1 and I can't find anything anymore.

Matt

Load a route or route and session into TRS19 Surveyor and simply explore the new drop down menu system. All the old menu options are still there but they are just organised more logically.

What are missing are the Undo and Redo buttons that used to live on the top menu bar and this is kicking up a stink with some forum members. Personally, I always used Ctrl Z and Ctrl Y so I don't miss them and the space those buttons "wasted" (in my opinion) can be better used for future options.

Absolutely not, pware. These were the most useful buttons of all, used constantly for route building, along with the previously available F6 key features for running sessions (clearing far more screen space than zapping a few essential buttons). Both reversals are a sad and quite unnecessary loss.

Ingha

Absolutely not, pware. These were the most useful buttons of all, used constantly for route building, along with the previously available F6 key features for running sessions (clearing far more screen space than zapping a few essential buttons). Both reversals are a sad and quite unnecessary loss.

Ingha

I don't know about that. I think I reached for the buttons twice in the 16 year's of Trainzing. My left hand spends its time poised over CTRL-Z while the right hand does the mousing and clicking.

All depends on how you are used to using Surveyor and driver, what may be a big issue for some is not for others or can be easily worked round, no point in everyone falling out over it. I've lost count of how many programs have changed the interface and moved things around or hidden them over the many years I've used computers. PSP 2020 was a shock to me as Nearly all the editing tools had vanished, had to dig around on the web for how to get them back as it wasn't obvious, not impressed!

Undo isn't an issue for me as always used ctrl Z and Y. The search box getting hidden is, so I assigned F8 to it and moved on, the Pause in surveyor for those on the standard version is clearly an N3V mistake as it only applies to the Plus version, so that needs fixing.

Has to be said that always making a backup of a Trainz install before updating is IMO essential, at least then you can go back if a major problem or you just don't like it.

My left hand is on my mouse, my right hand is poised over the arrow keys, boy can I scoot around a route fast........until I need 'undo' etc :D

Back