Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Assets now listed as "Not Installed, Payware (not active)" after installing DLC

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JCitron View Post
    ... 60 GB won't take but an hour or two to copy and if you're concerned you can do that overnight, which may speed things up some more. If you do plan on doing this, I highly recommend disabling real-time antivirus scanning on the destination drive. I made that mistake and it took nearly twice as long to copy the data because my antivirus program was having a savory meal as it digested each and every file that got transferred over.....
    My Trainz Plus userdata is 182GB and I don't download much from the DLS. Maybe I should trim some of that DLC I never use.

I used FastCopy for a backup a couple of days ago and had to leave it run overnight. The copy was to a network drive and wasn't particularly fast.

Paul

The 100% copy of the database works 100% of the time. -snip-

There shouldn't be any concerns with this process. I do this all the time for testing purposes and when I want to run my current data on my laptop when I'm traveling. If I make any drastic changes to my routes in progress while on the laptop, I then simply CDP them up and install them back on my desktop.
    I run 4 installs of Trainz ("official" "official beta" "plus" and "plus beta"). The "official" I guess should now be called "official plus" as I'm gold/plus member and the update from 100240 to 105096 took me to the 105096 Plus version. When I look at "digital downloads" on my account the "plus" version is the only one offered.

I've read in other posts that you should keep separate data folders for each install. That's what I've been doing. You can confirm that you run different Trainz installs from same data folder with no problems? Including beta installs?
    Last edited by 1611mac; December 23rd, 2019 at 11:17 AM.
    TRS19 SP1(Plus), 105100(plus), 106618(+beta)
    ASUS B450M-A/CSM, GTX 1060-6 Windforce

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
    I run 4 installs of Trainz ("official" "official beta" "plus" and "plus beta"). The "official" I guess should no be called "official plus" as I'm gold/plus member and the update from 100240 to 105096 took me to the 105096 Plus version. When I look at "digital downloads" on my account the "plus" version is the only one offered.

I've read in other posts that you should keep separate data folders for each install. That's what I've been doing. You can confirm that you run different Trainz installs from same data folder with no problems? Including beta installs?
    You bet I can.

The beta version of my Plus install exists on a separate drive and so does the executable. I set that one up and ran that one to point to the database on my F: drive rather than my E: drive. The database folder is called TRS19_TEST (yes in caps) so I know which one is which. I wish we had bold and colors we could specify for folders, but it ain't that way for us.

I have done the same with other versions as well whether it's TRS2009, TS2010, TS12, and even T:ANE.

Now there is a catch with TRS2019 and Plus. If you are a gold member, you will end up putting Plus features into your TRS2019. Tony mentioned this in the forums back when TRS2019 SP1 beta was first out and I was going to setup a test for that one. The reason is both versions share the same code-base and the features are turned on and off by permissions. I have another software package that does the same thing. When I upgraded from Standard to Pro on Pianoteq, all I needed to do was put in a new software license key. They said that everything is there and all that was needed was to turn on the additional features. The upgrade, by the way, was $150 on sale! Pro is normally $850 retail.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 105100

You bet I can.
    Now there is a catch with TRS2019 and Plus. If you are a gold member, you will end up putting Plus features into your TRS2019. Tony mentioned this in the forums back when TRS2019 SP1 beta was first out and I was going to setup a test for that one
    Yes.. I am highly aware of that and in my opinion N3V needs to broadcast that fact a lot louder. I started out a little over a year ago by purchasing TRS19 Early Release at the (almost) $70 price. After a few months I joined Gold. Because I am Gold/Plus I now cannot download the "official release" TRS19 NON PLUS version. The only option I have in my digital downloads is TRS19 Plus. So even though I bought a TRS19 Early Edition version, I now have no access to anything other than Plus. Why would I want access to a non-Plus version? I'm crazy that way. I may just want to test a route from non-plus "official" to "plus official". Especially since I paid full price for an "official" copy.

If this is the way it's going to be then N3V needs to find a way to indicate on the "registered versions" icons (user description above) the version of TRS19 one has. Perhaps a new "TRS19-plus" (or "TRS19+) since I no longer have access to TRS19. The forums no longer make plain the version someone is using and it makes a big difference.

Thanks very much for the reply!
    -greg
    Last edited by 1611mac; December 23rd, 2019 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
    Yes.. I am highly aware of that and in my opinion N3V needs to broadcast that fact a lot louder. I started out a little over a year ago by purchasing TRS19 Early Release at the (almost) $70 price. After a few months I joined Gold. Because I am Gold/Plus I now cannot download the "official release" TRS19 NON PLUS version. The only option I have in my digital downloads is TRS19 Plus. So even though I bought a TRS19 Early Edition version, I now have no access to anything other than Plus. Why would I want access to a non-Plus version? I'm crazy that way. I may just want to test a route from non-plus "official" to "plus official". Especially since I paid full price for an "official" copy.

If this is the way it's going to be then N3V needs to find a way to indicate on the "registered versions" icons (user description above) the version of TRS19 one has. Perhaps a new "TRS19-plus" (or "TRS19+) since I no longer have access to TRS19. The forums no longer make plain the version someone is using and it makes a big difference.

Thanks very much for the reply!
    -greg
    Absolutely even for testing purposes the base version needs to be available to us even if we've moved on to Plus, and yes N3V needs to tell us right out because this is causing a lot of confusion here with some of us having the Plus-features in what is otherwise TRS19 SP1. Malc did send in a bug report on the pause issue. This was reported in the beta if I recall and perhaps the bug returned after something was fixed. We've been through this before.
    John

You bet I can.

The beta version of my Plus install exists on a separate drive and so does the executable. I set that one up and ran that one to point to the database on my F: drive rather than my E: drive. The database folder is called TRS19_TEST (yes in caps) so I know which one is which. I wish we had bold and colors we could specify for folders, but it ain't that way for us.

I have done the same with other versions as well whether it's TRS2009, TS2010, TS12, and even T:ANE.

Now there is a catch with TRS2019 and Plus. If you are a gold member, you will end up putting Plus features into your TRS2019. Tony mentioned this in the forums back when TRS2019 SP1 beta was first out and I was going to setup a test for that one. The reason is both versions share the same code-base and the features are turned on and off by permissions. I have another software package that does the same thing. When I upgraded from Standard to Pro on Pianoteq, all I needed to do was put in a new software license key. They said that everything is there and all that was needed was to turn on the additional features. The upgrade, by the way, was $150 on sale! Pro is normally $850 retail.

I edit the shortcuts and put the build numbers and Drive on them, I update the build numbers on the shortcuts after patching. I have TANE and both versions of TRS19 on their own SSD drives so can easily find where things are.

I have tested that the Standard updates to Plus which it did both in the SP1 Beta which I didn't bother testing as it had gone Plus and again yesterday to see if the pause menu items existed in 105096 for Plus users. I have 100240 backed up as well as all other versions. It isn't obvious to most users that if you have a Plus or Gold Account but using a standard version you will get the Plus stuff like it or not.

Sorting the permissions thing out for non plus users needs correcting maybe I misunderstood but I thought SP1 was the bug fixes from Plus, not changing the layout and adding plus bits, that seems to have been covered with Platinum.

Only way to get a non Plus standard addition if you have Plus and Standard that I can see is with a different Account!

Plus is the only version I can download now as well.
    Malc

Quote Originally Posted by clam1952 View Post
    Only way to get a non Plus standard addition if you have Plus and Standard that I can see is with a different Account!
    Plus is the only version I can download now as well.
    I sent a help request in and here is part of the answer I received. I had pointed out that I had purchased TRS19 outright AND was a Gold/Plus member but apparently that does not matter. That aspect of my question was not addressed. Not a big deal with me but it would be nice to be able to check "bugs" in both versions, especially since I paid/pay for both. And also odd in that previously I could download one and also have the other based on update stream. Both hey, I'm moving on.

Part of the N3V support reply:
    Currently there is no on-the-fly option to "turn off" Trainz Plus unless a membership is changed. Details for this may be found in the FAQ. Trainz is a per user account system, as such resources are assigned per user. Once your username is allocated TRS+ resources, that's the version associated with that user until a change in membership occurs.
    (I had not asked to "turn off" Trainz Plus. I asked for the ability to also download the non-Plus version which I had paid for by virtue of purchasing TRS19 Early Edition outright.)

Blog Entries

The 100% copy of the database works 100% of the time. All you need to do then is point your Trainz program to the copied over database. I was going to recommend you do that.
    It worked . Due to a technical hitch (a corrupt USB copy of the Trainz DB) it took 24hr longer than I expected but I now have two computers with perfectly synchronized and fully operational (no errors) TRS19 SP1 Databases. The USB copy is now my TRS19 SP1 backup.
    TRS19 Platinum 105100 - TRS19 SP1 (standard) 105096 - TANE SP4 105766

Quote Originally Posted by pware View Post
    It worked . Due to a technical hitch (a corrupt USB copy of the Trainz DB) it took 24hr longer than I expected but I now have two computers with perfectly synchronized and fully operational (no errors) TRS19 SP1 Databases. The USB copy is now my TRS19 SP1 backup.
    Good to hear. Yay what a nice Christmas gift!

I finally got my data sorted out early this morning. I held off on an EDR until I had a chance then finally let it run overnight a couple of days ago only to find it had hung part way through the process! A check of the hardware showed nothing out of the ordinary and I always have antivirus disabled on my Trainz folders. After checking, I started up another one while sitting there and watched, and I noticed this time the process froze while clearing the caches.

Hmm... I killed the process (gulp) and manually removed the cached data from each of the cache folders for Libraries, pre-processing, etc. Well that worked and the process completed in about 3 hours yesterday.

So now I'm up and running fully now as well.
    John

United States of America, Pennsylvania, Murrysville

Maybe you have to run the major cleaner/rebuild more often. Accumulation to large or complex for it.
    Dick near Pittsburgh, Pa. i5-2500K 4.3ghz, 8gb memory, GTX1060 4gb video card