SP1 -- bring back the Undo / Redo buttons

philskene

Anybody here who constructs routes and layouts knows that THE two most important buttons in Surveyor are the Undo / Redo buttons.

In SP1 they are gone. Gone!~! Actually they are hidden two steps down in a menu. No quick access. And it makes multiple undos a real pain in the butt.

Please bring them back to where they belong -- immediately available, front and centre at the top of the screen.

Last edited:
Have just downloaded the latest TRS 19 patch and YES - bring back the Undo/Redo buttons - prominently identifiable at the top of the screen!!!!!!!!!

I totally agree this is very much a retrograde step. Those who seldom use Surveyor may probably not even miss them or perhaps notice that they have been moved but working on a route this evening its painful, slow and frustrating not having them at hand. While their chosen short cut keys follow the Windows convention, unlike cut and paste, select all, save and print, etc. I don't actually recall ever working with any other person since Windows superseded DOS that actually uses them. While many programs do have these functions as part of edit drop down menus practically all also include then as part of any general button menu at the top of the screen. For those who don't or seldom use surveyor, editing a route has become a little like using a web browser without having previous and next page buttons.

To a lesser extent I think the same can be said for the pick-list and the wire frame buttons. I switch the pick list on to select a preferred asset and off to clear the screen to build. The wire fame is convenient to switch in and out when contouring terrain which has already been textured. Peter

I've made one or two posts about this issue already, I am happy now that there is a thread by a respected route builder that agrees that they should be replaced along with the other buttons that were along side them, they are all route building tools that are needed in the open, not hidden.

Undo/Redo, Wire Frame, Quick Drive, Pick lists.

Makes you wonder if anyone at N3V actually builds routes on a daily basis.

You can count me in also, and while doing that, in CM please separate on the Content menu "Disable/Enable" and "Delete" buttons! Us folks with poor eye site hit the wrong buttons! Please, if nothing else, can you have confirmation "Are you Sure!" pop-up when choosing these commands.

Thanks,
John, a senior citizen Trainzer

Phil - as I just mentioned at Trainsim dot Com I was going to start a petition, but see you have already done so.

Apologies for shoutie, but...

YES PLEASE, N3V REINSTATE THE OLD SURVEYOR MENU SYSTEM INCLUDING UNDO/REDO BUTTONS ON TOP OF THE SCREEN!

I too have noticed the sudden lack, or hidden-ness, of Undo/Redo and QuickDrive buttons, as well as QuickDrive in the session list, and I would love to see them come back to their old spots.

Matt

I wish you all luck with your effort but this issue came up in the beta testing forum when it was first changed and the response was that the menu bar was updated in appearance to match the changes in Driver. All the protest then didn't get it changed back. You all make very valid arguments, I hope someone is listening.

William

So they give us for free a useless part of an advanced feature that Standard TRS19 users don't get access to?
If that is part of the unified surveyor/driver then I certainly won't be in the front of the queue to buy a subscription or Platinum Edition.

Luckily I kept an install (100240) that still has a useable toolbar before I up (down) graded to SP1.

Anybody here who constructs routes and layouts knows that THE two most important buttons in Surveyor are the Undo / Redo buttons.

Sorry but I could not disagree more. I construct routes and layouts and never use those buttons. Ctrl-Z and Ctrl-Y (which are common to every other Windows software that I know of) work fine for me. I note that the window in which I am typing this response lacks any such buttons. Likewise my favourite graphics editor Gimp.

I am not a route builder, but the now buried "Undo/Redo" buttons were so easily usable on the top bar when using the bulk asset replacement tool. Why hide them in a menu? Not convenient at all!

I really don’t understand the fuss about the removal of the undo button.
Everyone who has been using a PC for over a month to do any kind of work on should know by now CTRL-Z is the shortcut for undo. Not just Trainz, but every half serious piece of software. Word, Excel, Blender, Notepad, just to name a few. Assuming you have your mouse in your right hand, CTRL-Z is conveniently located near (or in my case under) your left hand and as a result almost always faster than having to move your mouse all the way to some tiny button somewhere on the screen.
To be honest... if it wasn’t for this topic I would probably not even notice the button (missing).

I agree removing the (other) buttons is a bad idea. I am sure they also have shortcuts, but use them too infrequent to remember.

Anyway,
I guess you will get a hotfix at some point to restore them. If not, memorize the shortcuts and move on. Maybe write them on a Post-it and stick it to the top of your screen?

Yes: control Z works. But, as I sit and work on a new route, I used to be able to Undo easily without removing my hand from petting the dog. I don't know about others, but the Undo button gets used thousands of times on a single route build. Please bring it back.

As this hiding in menus came up ages ago in the Plus Betas and nothing changed, think we are stuck with it. I've got used to using Ctrl Z and Ctrl Y and as I use them in other programs it's not really much of an issue for me now I have got used to it.

Search Box has a three key shortcut, Ctrl Shift F, need two hands, too long winded for me for a much used feature, so gave it F8.

Back