Create New Session Requires Route re-save

Alikiwi

Apprentice Creator
Me again... I've had this issue before and I'm still confused by the demand of TANE to over-write a route (or save as new route) when creating a session. Yes, it's in sessions, create new session, and I made sure (as usual) the route layer is locked. All I did was add some dead trees and paint over some of the texture, that's all. Yet it decides this is a route change!

So my question is this, does over-writing the existing route really change the route? One would hope not, as I don't want all the other sessions to have these changes to scenery, and the bigger question is this. Will the new session work for everyone with this route (the original route) or will they need to have a new modified route? Hope that makes sense.

Textures can only be applied to a route not a session. Scenery can be placed in the session so can track but textures are applied to the baseboard only so will affect all sessions linked to it. If the route is the original any session created with it can be used by all.

Last edited:
The surveyor lets you do some things in real time, even with the route locked, but then realizes what happened and asks for a route save.

Damn... I was trying to over-paint with forest fire for a bush fire session. Guess I'll have to can that idea as I don't want every session having that effect. Oh well, I'll think of something else. Thanks for the replies.

I think it was msgsapper that created a small fire. Perhaps you could put some amongst bushes, which can be placed in the session layer.

There is both smoke such as Sap_fire-effect which is a smoking fire and smoking ground fire. But without a burnt surface its going to look really odd. Only solution would be a burnt ground spline maybe, but doubt that exists but I'll double check.

Could you paint your forest fire on to a separate 'fire' route layer which you set to be hidden by default. Then, in your forest fire session, use the show / hide layer rule to reveal it?

Layers are only for map objects (most anything having a mesh -- buildings, splines, rolling stock ...).

Peter

Ground textures can have seasons. Just choose spring (for example) and modify your normal forest ground texture so that the fire texture is substituted for spring dates. Then every session set in the spring will have the fire, but any session set in other seasons or with snow will be normal.

Glenn

One, we don't have much snow. Two, you CAN"T modify textures on an existing route, the topic/problem of this post. Sounds like you are suggesting more or less creating a new texture, maybe something for a new route sometime.

Back