TRS19 SP1 Now LIVE

To be clear here, nothing has been tossed away and no-one is being "penalised" (intentionally anyway).

Yes there have been some changes (but never with the intention of taking a backward step), and yes, there are some bugs that weren't discovered prior to release (which we'll be fixing).

If we didn't provide the SP1 update, then the bug fixes such as HUD stutter wouldn't be available and we'd be told that we're ignoring standard edition users.

So we will continue doing our best to try and keep everyone happy and make Trainz better.

Can I suggest that if you want to help (and avoid the heartache), then ensure you get involved in the beta testing process so that there things are identified long before the official release.

The 4K issue mentioned is one that is under further consideration. However for clarity, the option to choose higher than 2560 res is for fullscreen only. Maximising the view in windowed mode allows native resolution and this option is the same with all current versions, not just SP1.

Last edited:
Kotangagirl - please use this link to submit your zip file: Trainz Bug Report. Note that disabled/enabled won't affect the zip file
After all 8 cores on my computer were fully involved for ages with making a huge zipfile it ended up corrupted and unreadable so I gave up on the whole idea. I think I would have had to buy more space on my Dropbox account to upload it anyway, - so sorry Tony I won't be able to send you my data folder.

After all 8 cores on my computer were fully involved for ages with making a huge zipfile it ended up corrupted and unreadable so I gave up on the whole idea. I think I would have had to buy more space on my Dropbox account to upload it anyway, - so sorry Tony I won't be able to send you my data folder.

My premonition was that's how it was headed - and why I asked N3V if they could give you an FTP folder in post #265, did they look into that?

(I didn't get a reply on the 2nd issue in post #265. (i.e. a "commercial" design basis for SPs which was a related to the FTP request))

Last edited:

How big was the cdp file?

There is an upper limit, about 1 or 2 GB and anything larger than that causes data corruption. I aim to keep mine well under 750 MB to stay on the safe side. A cdp is roughly 50% the size of the original data so if your cdp is that big, that's a lot of data!

If you're including the dependencies, put just the route in one cdp, and then use multiple cdps for the dependencies.

How big was the cdp file?

There is an upper limit, about 1 or 2 GB and anything larger than that causes data corruption. I aim to keep mine well under 750 MB to stay on the safe side. A cdp is roughly 50% the size of the original data so if your cdp is that big, that's a lot of data!

If you're including the dependencies, put just the route in one cdp, and then use multiple cdps for the dependencies.
Tony asked for my entire TS2019 data file less the backup folder. It was a very big file.

My premonition was that's how it was headed - and why I asked N3V if they could give you an FTP folder in post #265, did they look into that?

(I didn't get a reply on the 2nd issue in post #265. (i.e. a "commercial" design basis for SPs which was a related to the FTP request))
Yeah well I tried. I didn't hear anything more about an FTP folder being offered by the way.

Pretty sure Tony asked for a copy of the userdata folder, not a cdp as in zip the userdata folder, however not going to get a couple of hundred gigabytes online storage for free. Likewise an FTP folder? unlikely to help as it will take hours and hours, maybe a day or two depending on upload speed to upload a large userdata folder. Largest available free storage appears to be 50GB, most are 15, 10, or less, I get 50GB free on mediafire for using it for a long time, it starts a lot lower at 10GB.

I get 2Tb of space with my Dropbox plan so checking available space just now it would fitted in Ok , but even so it would taken ages to upload a 25Gb zipfile to my Dropbox account. I'm on an unlimited fast broadband plan, but Dropbox's upload speeds are on the underwhelming side so it would have been a real project to get the zipfile uploaded.

I really can't be bothered with it all anyway. How I've got TS2019 now with everything troublesome disabled or deleted suits me fine and it does what I want with running my favourite legacy routes that I updated myself for TS2019 without any problems.

Last edited:
Must be 2 GB as I have several ones up to 1.7 GB and no problem with them.

Thanks. That's good to remember.

Being the paranoid one about stuff like this, I stayed on the more conservative side and erred to keep my cdp files smaller.

Hi clam,

Pretty sure Tony asked for a copy of the userdata folder, not a cdp as in zip the userdata folder,
Well here is the request:

I would certainly love QA to explore your current local data folder. If you wanted to zip that up and send us a link to download it, that would be great (it will be a large zip file but could identify and solve the problem you are seeing and help other people in the same boat). I also suggest removing the backup folder prior to zipping (then you can put it back again afterwards).

however not going to get a couple of hundred gigabytes online storage for free. Likewise an FTP folder?
  • How would anyone interpret or use an FTP folder as free storage? The uploaded user data can be taken away anytime by N3V QA for analysis to make space for another user upload.
  • Why not establish the FTP resource: the commercial viability of an N3V product, to some degree, is dependent on debugging issues that N3V QA had no prior exposure.

unlikely to help as it will take hours and hours, maybe a day or two depending on upload speed to upload a large userdata folder.
  • A file-by-file FTP transfer would allow the full upload to be achieved in incremental sessions, permits parallel file transfer, and provides feedback as to progress and completion. A single large zip is a long all or nothing process.
  • FTP speed is dependent on the sender's and receiver's transfer rates and is unlikely to take a day (or two), especially with parallel transfer capability. A single worker FTP is typically 250 to 1000 kbps. To give you a feel for this clam, look at the time frame that was needed to FTP your TANE or TRS19 DLC - we are talking several hours and not days.

Largest available free storage appears to be 50GB, most are 15, 10, or less, I get 50GB free on mediafire for using it for a long time, it starts a lot lower at 10GB.

Kotangagirl has certainly made a nice gesture using her personal service, but N3V already has a sophisticated FTP server and can establish a user upload folder for quality review/debugging to be used towards their benefit.

I've been wondering exactly what the limit is too & would be good to hear from N3V.

Have a few large routes that I've updated to TRS19 levels (for personal use only as directed :)) that I tried to save with dependencies. Those resulted in files over 2gb that appeared to work initially, but which failed to import to another TRS19 install due to alleged corruption (says Content Manager).

If TRS19 can't read cdp files larger than X size, then it would be better if, when saving to cdp in the first place, Content Manager would offer to split the output into parts smaller than X limit.

Diego

Hi clam,

Well here is the request:

• How would anyone interpret or use an FTP folder as free storage? The uploaded user data can be taken away anytime by N3V QA for analysis to make space for another user upload.

• Why not establish the FTP resource: the commercial viability of an N3V product, to some degree, is dependent on debugging issues that N3V QA had no prior exposure.

• A file-by-file FTP transfer would allow the full upload to be achieved in incremental sessions, permits parallel file transfer, and provides feedback as to progress and completion. A single large zip is a long all or nothing process.

• FTP speed is dependent on the sender's and receiver's transfer rates and is unlikely to take a day (or two), especially with parallel transfer capability. A single worker FTP is typically 250 to 1000 kbps. To give you a feel for this clam, look at the time frame that was needed to FTP your TANE or TRS19 DLC - we are talking several hours and not days.

Kotangagirl has certainly made a nice gesture using her personal service, but N3V already has a sophisticated FTP server and can establish a user upload folder for quality review/debugging to be used towards their benefit.

Sorry badly worded, meant also possible speed issues with FTP rather than being free or not.

The old beta testers FTP on a different IP has probably long gone? if that is what you were thinking of, the DLS is strictly downloads, leastwise for us mere mortals.

I have used FTP often mainly on Linux so well aware of how it works however many such as in the UK, ADSL users are still on very slow upload speeds of 1Mbps or less, no idea what KotangaGirl's upload speeds are or if they are a factor or not.
Transferring individual files would be my preferred method rather than zipping them, think you need a 64 bit version of Winzip or 7Zip for very large archives, not sure about Win10's zip setup.

Bit of fun ;o)
Might want to have a look at this calculator and see how long it takes to transfer at say 250GB at 1Mbps or 10 and so on. https://www.expedient.com/knowledgebase/tools-and-calculators/file-transfer-time-calculator/

250GB at 10Mbps takes 2 Days, 11 Hours, and 39 Minutes, 8 Seconds

Sorry badly worded, meant also possible speed issues with FTP rather than being free or not.

The old beta testers FTP on a different IP has probably long gone? if that is what you were thinking of, the DLS is strictly downloads, leastwise for us mere mortals.

I have used FTP often mainly on Linux so well aware of how it works however many such as in the UK, ADSL users are still on very slow upload speeds of 1Mbps or less, no idea what KotangaGirl's upload speeds are or if they are a factor or not.
Transferring individual files would be my preferred method rather than zipping them, think you need a 64 bit version of Winzip or 7Zip for very large archives, not sure about Win10's zip setup.

Bit of fun ;o)
Might want to have a look at this calculator and see how long it takes to transfer at say 250GB at 1Mbps or 10 and so on. https://www.expedient.com/knowledgebase/tools-and-calculators/file-transfer-time-calculator/

250GB at 10Mbps takes 2 Days, 11 Hours, and 39 Minutes, 8 Seconds

Hi Malc,

Rather than to draw on beta tester history, my point was N3V can, at this juncture, now that they have identified a need for field data folders, readily make an FTP folder available to users predesignated to upload their data for N3V analysis and everyone's benefit (their's being commercial).

The DLS is not strictly downloads, how can you say that if voluntary content is uploaded everyday? I was glad to see you preferred the benefits of FTP over the help desk bug report http file transfer that was instructed to KotangaGirl.

Your Expedient calculator does not even say Expedient offers FTP protocol for their recovery services, and frankly they should be embarrassed and laughed right out of their industry to advertize such slow rates for a data recovery service contract. No one's gonna wait a week to get their corporate files back from a data disaster, so it was a bit of fun to see in that sense.

My TRS19 DLC content is roughly 50 Gb and takes only 5 to 6 hours to get to me. Your quoting the calculator as 250 Gb in 2.5 days, that is outrageously slow for a commercial recovery vendor, that is half N3V's FTP rate.

Last edited:
Hi Malc,

Rather than to draw on beta tester history, my point was N3V can, at this juncture, now that they have identified a need for field data folders, readily make an FTP folder available to users predesignated to upload their data for N3V analysis and everyone's benefit (their's being commercial).

The DLS is not strictly downloads, how can you say that if voluntary content is uploaded everyday? I was glad to see you preferred the benefits of FTP over the help desk bug report http file transfer that was instructed to KotangaGirl.

Your Expedient calculator does not even say Expedient offers FTP protocol for their recovery services, and frankly they should be embarrassed and laughed right out of their industry to advertize such slow rates for a data recovery service contract. No one's gonna wait a week to get their corporate files back from a data disaster, so it was a bit of fun to see in that sense.

My TRS19 DLC content is roughly 50 Gb and takes only 5 to 6 hours to get to me. Your quoting the calculator as 250 Gb in 2.5 days, that is outrageously slow for a commercial recovery vendor, that is half N3V's FTP rate.

You are missing the point I am talking about uploading from your PC to the net not downloading DLC which is irrelevant when uploading.
You can't upload faster than the rate the ISP allows.
Using another calculator which has nothing to do with any commercial interest or file storage it, gives 02 Days 13Hours 6 minutes for 250GB at 10Mbps upload meaning uploading from PC, it's got nothing to do with your download speed.

Also, upload and download speeds vary greatly. Ookla speed test reports my Download speed at 467 Mbps while my Upload is a mere 23.4mbps. Not sure why that is but download has always been much faster here than upload and that truth has be true with three different ISP's over the years. (And they do present that truth in specs.)

TIP: Phone your ISP and check for new and improved service. My ISP recently changed hands. I was grandfathered in at "XYZ" speeds at "XYZ" rates. I saw an online ad stating twice the speed I had for same price. I called, and Yes, they "upgraded" my service to the "new ISP" speeds for the same rate. Twice the speed. Same cost per month. You have to keep an eye on your ISP!

You are missing the point I am talking about uploading from your PC to the net not downloading DLC which is irrelevant when uploading.
Using another calculator which has nothing to do with any commercial interest or file storage it, gives 02 Days 13Hours 6 minutes for 250GB at 10Mbps upload meaning uploading from PC, it's got nothing to do with your download speed.

Hi Malc,

You think I missed the point because you broadened the upload topic to include download, followed by me responding to both, and subsequently you being unable to differentiate which of my response clauses apply to the original topic and which to your new topic.

In defense of me being "framed" in this matter, allow me to differentiate the topics and my associated statements:

• The first two paragraphs of my last response are about the KotangaGirl upload and suggesting N3V provide an FTP folder for such upload requests on their part. There is no discussion of speed there, and in prior posts, I pointed out the advantages of FTP transfer vs. HTTP transfer, independent of speed.
  • In the second two paragraphs of my last response, I responded to your introduction of the second topic, the transfer speed calculator. I never applied the calculator speed towards my original topic of upload to N3V. I compared the Expedient calculator, a "download speed" specification (see below), to FTP download speeds I experienced from N3V (for an FTP transfer most members here have experienced with DLC). At no point did I say the DLC rate was indicative of what KotangaGirl would get if she were offered an FTP folder. (We can discuss my final bullet of post 291, but I don't want to belabor if there is no need.)
Moreover, I don't feel the introduction of that second topic is relevant to the SP1 thread.

How can a calculator give an upload speed value if it doesn't test your upload speed? As you point out, it can vary widely depending on ISP and the users transfer hardware. These calculators are download speeds, or as Expedient words it, "the time and bandwidth it takes to move a large file around the network", meaning their awful node to node rate. Can you imagine if they tried to sell a service using users upload rates?

Last edited:
Also, upload and download speeds vary greatly. Ookla speed test reports my Download speed at 467 Mbps while my Upload is a mere 23.4mbps. Not sure why that is but download has always been much faster here than upload and that truth has be true with three different ISP's over the years. (And they do present that truth in specs.)

TIP: Phone your ISP and check for new and improved service. My ISP recently changed hands. I was grandfathered in at "XYZ" speeds at "XYZ" rates. I saw an online ad stating twice the speed I had for same price. I called, and Yes, they "upgraded" my service to the "new ISP" speeds for the same rate. Twice the speed. Same cost per month. You have to keep an eye on your ISP!

UK wise with BT who frequently offer updates at a cost, ignore them and they eventually offer an upgrade at no cost, I suspect to stop you going elsewhere! Done that twice now.

UK wise with BT who frequently offer updates at a cost, ignore them and they eventually offer an upgrade at no cost, I suspect to stop you going elsewhere! Done that twice now.

RE: Stop going elsewhere? Not sure what you refer to. I was with Time Warner and they were sucked up by Spectrum. I have no control over such things. (And Time Warner was taken over by someone before that... I can't keep track.)

Back