TRS19 SP1 Now LIVE

I'll ask again

Why is the undo arrow hidden inside one of the icons in surveyor? Instead of clicking the arrow as many times you needed you now have to go inside one of the icons to click undo. And it will only allow you to click once then you have to click the icon yet again!! A very unhelpful addition and very very pointless and time consuming. Why hide the undo/redo arrows when its something you're going to use a lot.

Or am I missing something

Using the keyboard shortcut is totally useless for me as I'm left handed means I have to take my hand off the mouse in my left hand to then use the keyboard with two hands and then put my hand back on the mouse rather than just clicking the screen. So for me using the keyboard takes even longer

Cheers
Stuart

I've mentioned this before, I've tried the keyboard shortcuts and still find my workflow is too disrupted.

Post #25 onwards..
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...480-(PC)-Now-available&p=1781687#post1781687I have reverted back to building routes in TANE where I can make faster progress.

Using the keyboard shortcut is totally useless for me as I'm left handed means I have to take my hand off the mouse in my left hand to then use the keyboard with two hands and then put my hand back on the mouse rather than just clicking the screen. So for me using the keyboard takes even longer

I am right handed. I use my right hand for the mouse and left hand for common keyboard shortcuts such as Ctrl-Z, Ctrl-X, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V and Ctrl-Y without taking my right hand off the mouse. I can see how the distance between the right Ctrl key and the others is a problem but when I use the number pad and I don't want to release the mouse, I bring my left hand across the keyboard to use those keys.

Last edited:
We agree on something Stuart! How on earth did this slip the notice of the beta testers? Or were they just ignored... ?

I have a Logitech G13 that I use for other sims. It lets you map keys and key combos to it. Really useful once you own one. You can create as many profiles as you want, and change the key colors to go with them.

Mike V.

Am I missing something here? Why not just change the shortcut key setting to something more convenient for a L/H user?

Because it's far more b....y convenient to rapidly click the mouse on an icon...

Sadly this is a classic case of changing something that worked well for the sake of change. What exactly did N3V think was wrong with the tried and trusted interface and why is it not an option for those of us who prefer it?

In other news, SP1 installed okay and triggered its own tdb rebuild, so I haven't seen any broken assets.

Performance - verdict pending as I'm only laying track on a Transdem textured map at present. Let's see what it does when I start painting textures and placing assets.

No broken splines yet but these manifested randomly when the bug was present previously.

Most mice are designed for right handed people meaning that using them as a left hander is useless.
I have spent hundreds of pounds over the years trying to find a good mouse, even vertical mice.
My current mouse is the bet yet for me but is too small, but it is a compromise that I will accept.
It is the Asus Tuf M5 mouse which has the DPI button on the top, just behind the scroll wheel.
I could write a large chapter on the pifalls of being a left hander using keyboards and mice, but don't want to be accused of hijacking this thread.

The use of menus to hide essential route builder's tools is a retrograde step.
Once again I'll use my favourite German word, schlimmbesserung!

I've gone back to using TANE SP4 to build routes which I can then import into TRS19 when they are complete.

Did you know that you can import routes from TRS19 into TANE SP4?
Firstly change all V4.6 content to V4.5.
Change version number in the route config, save and export to CDP.
Then import into TANE SP4.
oddly though you can't import TANE SP4 routes into TANE SP3,
which makes me think that TANE SP4 uses TRS19 baseboards but without the PBR layer.

Can someone verify something for me, please?

Create a new route with a blank baseboard.

Edit the Environmental setting of the noon setting, just change anything to do with the lighting.

Now click on the Diurnal Cycle button.

Does it cycle through the 24 hours changing the lighting as it should or does it just do nothing?

One more thing, please see if setting the weather to rain makes it rain in surveyor? I can make it snow but not rain. Running the session does show rain in Driver at least.

Just returned from Driver and it is now raining in Surveyor. Strange.

William

Last edited:
I still haven't installed the update. TS2019 popped up a message box to tell me that a new update was available and I chased it out of the room with a stick. The 'Undo' button thing would be a game breaker for me too. I already struggle with TS2019's menus due to cognitive (and other) problems due to having severe narcolepsy so hiding the 'Undo' button means that TS2019's surveyor/editor would be a complete no-go zone for me.

I mainly use TS2019 as a way to update old but good legacy routes and use it pretty much as a 64 bit version of TS2012 so I don't need or want use any of the 'magic' stuff. I can see that the latest Platinum version is going to be popular with new purchasers, but as a Uk version owner I don't want to download piles of assets and routes I'm never going to use just to get the Plus 'bells and whistles'. I've already purchased all the DLC I have any interest in and it all works just fine in the build version I have so I'm going to stick with what I have.

Application Update OK, but Content & Tools are A Mess

I've updated my Mac and PC builds of TRS19 to SP1 (and then to Platinum). The patching process itself was fine, but there were many asset, versioning, and quality issues that leave me with questions and comments:

• The updated installs both wanted to re-download all of my content store payware assets. That's 60gb+ for my account. Have all of those store assets actually been updated and is that expected behavior? Seems awfully inefficient if so
  • Migrating from TRS19 SP1 (regular) to SP1 Platinum seemed to be very broken in my case. I had already let the regular (non-Platinum) version of the game re-download all the assets per the previous item, but then the newly-installed Platinum wouldn't work with most of those assets. Many versioning errors such as "One or more of the installed packages were at an unexpected build version for resource." I didn't see an obvious way around this other than removing and reinstalling those assets all over again
  • The new Content Store is (unfortunately) pathologically broken, dangerous, and much worse than the previous tools at present. I've had numerous instances where the store claimed complete install of a package, but then found Content Manager reporting faulty assets that wouldn't work in-game, missing dependencies, etc. In other cases the Store has reported very vague error messages without clear resolutions (the package failed after numerous retries, for example). This is a poor experience without a clear user-level resolution
  • Many of the Content Store downloads seem faulty at present (far too many to list). It's possible that this is due to FCT server overload & we won't know for sure until the servers are stabilized & we can try the installs again

As a consumer I am not especially pleased because:
  • I have spent money to upgrade to Platinum in order to access a handful of new features and a little more DLS content. But the upgrade has actually made things worse than before because it broke my previous installs & required completely new downloads of all DLS
  • There are now multiple versions of the application at apparently incompatible feature and content versioning levels. I understand the marketing-driven application feature differentiation, but why did the implementation create content versioning issues? In theory the same content should work across versions assuming that the app versions are synchronized at release
  • Content Store is in a very poor state at present and IMO not a good replacement for the tools we had previously. Those tools were very limited and user-unfriendly, but were at least consistent with Content Manager and accurately reported install state

So what's the plan for stabilizing this release & how many of the problems listed are actually server overload issues vs. intended application changes or quality issues?

Thanks for all of your work & sorry for the additional headaches!
Diego

Last edited:
I fortunately read this thread before updating after seeing the “launch” email this morning. The undo button is a killer for me, so I, like Kotanga Girl, will not be updating. Having been into TRS 19 since it was first announced, I have looked forward to its development, and especially the Surveyor / Driver mode option which has been offered to thos e who rent.

Have I got this wrong? - or do I now have to purchase a ‘Platinum”version” to get this new feature for $69, with no additional DLC that is of any value to me as a UK modeller?

I love surveyor, and the whole forum and DLS setup of Trainz, but sorry, the current product offer just doesn’t cut it for me. We continue to get offered points, special offers, buying inducements, etc, but there just isn’t anything to buy.

There is a lot not to like about the competitive product, and I find it awkward to route build, but for the UK, there is a lot of nice stuff about.

Best wishes to all, especially those content creators who have kept the UK flag flying.

Ian

Diego,

I don't think you had to re-download the DLC in your updated install. I think the downloader just lost track of what was installed. At least in my case that is true. All my DLC was there.

William

Now as I followed with full interest this thread I came to the conclusion to skip this update as I'm not interested to spend my whole holidays with expected repairing Trainz data.

So my question is: how can I set the update-reminder to, let's say March 2020 or similar? Or is there a possibility to disable it forever? At the moment the max settable time-intervall of that reminder is only one week, as far as I can see.

Or: Can I save all my Trainz directories (program directory and asset-database directory) to a different drive and copy all back in case the update is not successful as expected? Would this procedure work?

Last edited:
Can I save all my Trainz directories (program directory and asset-database directory) to a different drive and copy all back in case the update is not successful as expected? Would this procedure work?

The easiest way to do that is via a file synchronization software (FreeFileSync, SyncBackSE, etc.). It can save hours of fixing or re-downloading assets and allows you to instantly go back to any working version of the game you previously saved.

I have the retail TRS19, build 100240. When I tried to start it the patcher window came up offering me an update. I accepted, didn't change the target, nor the patch stream ("TRS19"). I selected Apply Patch to 105096 (SP1). It downloaded 2.something GB, and then started Installing. Pretty soon a window came up from my AV (Bitdefender), although the file it was complaining about was nothing to do with Trainz (GadgetPack) (I wasn't consciously doing anything with gadgets at the time, although I do have some on the screen). But when I got rid of that window the patcher had vanished as well.

Now when I try to repeat the patch, after checking the following comes up: "Patch not viable. Filepath already occupied D:\TRS19\Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019\TNIGameController.dll". That file is indeed where it says it is (with today's date). How should I recover?

Thanks,

Peter

Thank you trainz crew for the hard work and the update !
Download and installation went fast and no problems at all (standard Windows 10 up to date, and no extra nonsense virus check programs)
Somehow textures for trains load a little slower, no idea why.
Is there a list what was fixed or improved somewhere?

TY and greetings from GM (back after 14 years)

Back