TRS19 SP1 Now LIVE

To keep perceptions properly aligned, "time" was pre-allocated for KotangaGirl as demonstrated where she was solicited for her data folder, post #248:

The solution I suggested to avoid zip file issues, setting up an FTP folder for the upload, would take the lesser portion of an hour, given the already sophisticated FTP server at hand.

This time would be N3V time well spent as it could be used to obtain exposure to "field" data folders at large, which could improve the effectiveness of SPs/hotfixes/patches, in turn increasing Trainz commercial popularity by decreasing user update frustrations.

Ideally yes this would work, but how about those of us with really, really huge data-folders? Mine runs close to a terabyte now with DLC and route testing I do. That takes me 4 hours to back up between hard disks, and I can only imagine how long that would take to upload over a network.

Ideally yes this would work, but how about those of us with really, really huge data-folders? Mine runs close to a terabyte now with DLC and route testing I do. That takes me 4 hours to back up between hard disks, and I can only imagine how long that would take to upload over a network.

Hi John,

Its the only viable method presented to date which can fulfill the N3V request.

I guess users could mail in DVDs if there is a metered connection involved.

Last edited:
ECML Edinburgh-Dundee:

WJ1VN.jpg

aeKNy.jpg

ECML Edinburgh-Dundee:

What a mess! Presumably a memory issue, just too much in the scene for the "new" graphics engine to render. A similar scene in DTG TS on the Edinburgh to Glasgow route or Just Trains Edinburgh to Dundee route has no such issues nor does the Making Tracks route for MSTS in Open rails either!

SP1 update is now being offered via Steam (Mac). Should I assume this is the problematic build and avoid installing - if I can manually prevent it updating?

Edit: too late! Steam will not let you play of once an update is in the wings, and clicking the 'play' button kicked off the download.....Doh. 3GB worth of Doh.

Last edited:
So I tried the delete missing assets, and TRS19 does not delete the missing assets, but lists them, which is something I didn't ask for.

After doing a quick save and reloaded it, the missing asset is still there.
I want to know, is this still called 'delete missing assets' or is it now called 'delete missing assets' where it just lists them? If that's the case, then it should be renamed to 'list missing assets' and not 'delete missing assets' - which is a useless feature.

GCWPTvm.jpg

This is happening in all versions of TRS19 except pre-SP1, which I went back to as SP1 just has too many game breaking / useless 'features'.

UPDATE #2
When you have objects in another layer, and you delete that layer, instead of having the objects being deleted, they're merged into another layer when I didn't wanted them merged into the other layer....

Might post more here when I run into them, but in the mean time, I went back to pre-SP1 where its actually stable and everything works as it should.

Not happy user, cheers

Last edited:
I want to know, is this still called 'delete missing assets' or is it now called 'delete missing assets' where it just lists them? If that's the case, then it should be renamed to 'list missing assets' and not 'delete missing assets' - which is a useless feature.

I do not understand your logic. The screenshot you supplied clearly shows in the "Delete Missing Assets" dialogue window that assets were deleted so it did delete. It reported a problem loading the spline for a "stretch" (which I presume is the spline between two spline points) so I would suspect that was a failure to delete.

I ran my own tests in both SP1 and Platinum. I set up a route, added some different spline assets and, in CM, I disabled some of those assets. I then reloaded the route into Surveyor and the route was shown with the spline points of the disabled assets but not the splines themselves. I then used the Delete Missing Asset tool. In SP1 all the disabled splines (as seen by their spline points) vanished from the route but I did get the report about loading a number of "stretches". In Platinum all but one of the splines vanished (with the same error report) and the one that remained was still visible only by its red Surveyor spline line and spline points.

By the way I like the idea of listing the assets it is deleting, or attempting to delete. Much better than the old method of sitting there twiddling your thumbs wondering if anything was actually happening.

I do not understand your logic. The screenshot you supplied clearly shows in the "Delete Missing Assets" dialogue window that assets were deleted so it did delete.

Hi PWare,

I believe what hiawathamr is showing in his first example is that the unknown asset "429700:..." is still listing as a missing dependency for the route "0000", despite having performed a missing asset deletion.

Build 105100: I can create a session with <kuid2:244265:101059:3> "CFD locotracteur X" or <kuid2:244265:101062:1> "CFD locotracteur Y" (both on DLS) and save it. But if I drive any of them and decide to save the ongoing session... CTD! Same issue on any route. No problem in Build 105096.

CFD locotracteur X
>>
There is a bug in 105100 where locos with certain headlight configuration will crash (fixed internally - coming to an update soon). This could be related (or not). QA are investigating if this is related and if not will be fixed.

ECML issues - QA investigating.

Delete layer
>>
There is now a prompt that displays an option to Merge or Delete. Testing indicates that selecting "Delete" does, in fact, delete the layer. If you are selecting Delete and seeing a Merge, then please provide full details including which layers you are deleting, which layers end up merged etc.

Delete missing asset
>>
Did you save the route after using DMA? Testing here shows that if you use DMA, Save, Exit the route, the assets are removed as dependencies as expected. This test was using "disabled assets, but in theory would work for unknown as well.

Also, there is a new dialog showing what steps have been performed. There is categorically no change to the "concept" of deleting missing assets, so any problem you are seeing is a bug (or perhaps user error depending on the answers above).

Should I assume this is the problematic build and avoid installing
>>
There are dozens of fixes and updates, and some new bugs being reported. The content issues some users are seeing all appear to resolve themselves. We're yet to discover how they get into the faulty state.

I would say that threads like this are "full" of problems simply because this is where people post their problems. The vast majority of people either aren't having problems or aren't reporting them.

Hi PWare,

I believe what hiawathamr is showing in his first example is that the unknown asset "429700:..." is still listing as a missing dependency for the route "0000", despite having performed a missing asset deletion.

This is correct. It refuses to remove it despite after numerous times I been using the feature.

Delete layer
>>
There is now a prompt that displays an option to Merge or Delete. Testing indicates that selecting "Delete" does, in fact, delete the layer. If you are selecting Delete and seeing a Merge, then please provide full details including which layers you are deleting, which layers end up merged etc.

Delete missing asset
>>
Did you save the route after using DMA? Testing here shows that if you use DMA, Save, Exit the route, the assets are removed as dependencies as expected. This test was using "disabled assets, but in theory would work for unknown as well.

Yes, it was even said
After doing a quick save and reloaded it, the missing asset is still there.

Also, there is a new dialog showing what steps have been performed. There is categorically no change to the "concept" of deleting missing assets, so any problem you are seeing is a bug (or perhaps user error depending on the answers above).
And I would like to know why it lists them, but doesn't actually perform the action,,,,

Cheers

In my cases it listed everyone it deleted plus the ones it attempted to delete but failed and gave some indication of failure. Both are useful.

Hi Tony,

Re:

There are dozens of fixes and updates....

Please consider adopting the common practice, going forward, of the programmer(s) writing up a simple text file, for example "TRS19_SP1_Read_Me.txt", which lists out the improvements and bug fixes. This way your testers can know where to test and the users know what the changes are. I think it would all save us some shoe leather.

Last edited:

And I would like to know why it lists them, but doesn't actually perform the action,,,,

Since we can't repro the problem, we would need a test map that demonstrates the issue to test and find out.
You can submit a report here:
Trainz Bug Report

Deneban - we often do provide a changelist, when we have time to sanitise the list.
If we simply used the list from our perforce server, people would be overwhelmed with entries like:
* Fix T2WorldState::ExitCurrentModule() behaviour when UDS is disabled
* Use CXStringEdit instead of std:string in order to reduce allocation load

We'll do our best.

Last edited:
Hi Tony:

Re:

Deneban - we often do provide a changelist, when we have time to sanitise the list.
If we simply used the list from our perforce server, people would be overwhelmed with entries like:

We'll do our best.

Plenty of developers do this without overthinking it - some quick examples:

Improvements:
~~~~~~~~~
  1. ....
  2. An option to merge a layer is now available when the user chooses to delete it
  3. Introduced Compatibility Mode spinner on Dev Tab of Settings module
  4. Reduced overhead for string edits
  5. .....
Bug Fixes:
~~~~~~
  1. Multiplayer menu item now works as intended
  2. .....
  3. ....
Just that type of communication alone from the programmer(s) would improve our Trainz lives...

Speaking from direct experience, going from

to

Improvements:
~~~~~~~~~
  1. ....
  2. An option to merge a layer is now available when the user chooses to delete it
  3. Introduced Compatibility Mode spinner on Dev Tab of Settings module
  4. Reduced overhead for string edits
  5. .....
Bug Fixes:
~~~~~~
  1. Multiplayer menu item now works as intended
  2. .....
  3. ....

is never a simple step and some of the descriptions you used in your "human readable version" are vague and may still be incomprehensible to many.

Last edited:
Bug sent along with videos of the bug as well

Cheers

Thanks for the report. It appears that both issues are not new to this build (tested against 105096 as well).

The merge issue appears to be related to changing the order of the layers before the merge (still a bug).

The asset not being deleted could be related to a corrupt map (still checking) but we cannot reproduce from scratch, so appears to be an edge case at best (or worst).

Back