TRS19 SP1 Now LIVE

Tony_Hilliam

Trainz Plus - enjoy Trainz from just 20 cents a da
You'll be pleased to know that the official TRS19 Service Pack 1 update is being prepared for release right now.

We've made this announcement to assure you that the plan is to release the PC version shortly for both Trainz Store and Steam Store and will update it as each of the builds is ready for release.

It is possible that the Mac versions will not be ready in time for release (we'll keep you posted).

This update delivers a range of bug fixes and optimisations including a fix for "HUD stutter" that some users experienced in the previous build.

Updates will be released on the TRS19 patch stream for the following builds:

(PC) 100240 to 105096 - now available (2.7GB)
(PC) 103369 to 105096 - now available
(Mac) 100331 to 105170 - now available
(Mac) 104903 to 105170 - now available

Steam builds will patch automatically when released.
Steam PC - now available
Steam Mac - not yet released

If you already have 105096 installed, then you're all set! (thanks pware).

Last edited:
I take it that for those who already have the latest TRS19 (non-Plus) SP1 beta build (105096), then this will become the official TRS19 SP1 release?

Thank you for the heads up. I have disabled automatic update in Steam as outside of bug fixes that I have not seen in my TRS2019 NA edition there appears to be nothing of value in this update. I always thought that service packs added features but it is my understanding that new features are disabled if you are not a subscriber.

As you say "TRS2019 is the best version of Trainz" so why would I risk screwing it up with a worthless service pack.

William

Thank you for the heads up. I have disabled automatic update in Steam as outside of bug fixes that I have not seen in my TRS2019 NA edition there appears to be nothing of value in this update. I always thought that service packs added features but it is my understanding that new features are disabled if you are not a subscriber.

As you say "TRS2019 is the best version of Trainz" so why would I risk screwing it up with a worthless service pack.

William

Service Packs have always been about bug fixes first and foremost. We've come a long way since SP releases were followed up by a Hotfix (or two or three). With our new extended beta testing periods, improved processes and focusing on "fixing the bugs" as many people have requested, there has not been a necessity to jump into a string of updates with TRS19.

TRS19 was the best version - until we improved it (and we will continue to do so). It's up to you whether or not you want to install the SP or not.

Regarding subscribers, they certainly get first access to the new features. Just like Business Class get to board the plane first and get a glass of champagne before take-off, our members have paid a little more for the privilege. And just as with airlines, there is no expectation on our part that everyone will want to sit up the front f the plane (or in our case, the train).

It's also sad that you think the Service Pack is worthless. It really is hard to win around here isn't it. "FIX THE BUGS" they cry, and now "Don't give us a worthless bug fix Service Pack".

Guess I will just continue on with my 65th hour of work this week (well, it is only Thursday after all) and try to maintain my motivation to make Trainz better than ever. Thanks for your consideration of our efforts. :(

Oh, and if you have an alternative method of funding ongoing development, please feel free to chime in. :)

I don't want to be negative so I'm just going to say, it's so sad that people don't appreciate the hard work and 'continued' hard work that you guys put into your great product - Trainz. Trainz has and continues to give me hours and hours of fun and pleasure and 'I' definitely appreciate all your hard work.

Thank you Tony and co for all your ongoing support and wonderful products.

Kind regards,

Craig

Hi

I've been using this update since it was released and have had no problems at all with the way that I use Trainz (AI only automated sessions). If wreeder doesn't want to update his version then that's his choice but I don't understand how he can call it worthless if he hasn't tried it.

Regards

Brian

Let's see....

I have the Steam version of TRS2019. Was I ever able to beta test this service pack? To the best of my knowledge the answer is no. So I should blindly trust your internal testers? As you know Steam only allows one install per PC. So I can't have multiple versions as with the retail version.

If you look at my timeline you see that I have pretty much bought every version you have made over the years. Better still check my serial numbers and you will see that I often bought more than one copy of a version. Most of the time I have had both the retail version and the Steam version. Now we both know that each new version of Trainz is not 100% new code. Improvements represent maybe 30 to 40% yet I get to pay for the old code all over again. Under the old business model you had to be sure that the 30 to 40% new code was exciting enough to entice me to buy the new version. Under the subscriber model that pressure is relaxed or at least that has been my experience with every subscriber plan for software I have used. Now I know that TANE was different in that it was a full rewrite from top to bottom and it shows in a much improved product compared to TS12. Under that model I often skipped versions of productivity software because the cost wasn't worth what I would get. This was quite common among users of Adobe software. I owned Photoshop 2.5, 4, 6, 7, CS2, CS4, CS6 before they went to a subscription service. But with a 18 month development cycle users skipping versions is a big problem. So enter the subscription business model where I pay $20 per month to have access to PS and Lightroom plus 1TB of online storage. And like your subscription plan, if I stop paying the software stops working. Hence, my current interest in finding replacement products for those programs. (Luminar 4 is an amazing program BTW.)

See my real problem is with that last bit. You quit paying and it quits working. I'm a sucker for new features. Send me an email outlining the new features of a piece of software I own and bang, you have a sale. But tell me I have to pay this month just to keep the same stuff I have working and we have a problem. It just feels like I am paying for nothing.

So my advice is consider different subscription models. Here are some used by other software I have.

Magix - They handle sales and support for several software developers like Xara. You buy new software and you get the update service contract included. This gets you updates including new features for a year. You can renew for another year for 80% of the original price. You also have access to online features like more templates, images, web widgets and more as part of the contract. If you don't renew then your software continues to work but no more updates and you lose access to the online features.

Techsmith - Makers of Camtasia and SnagIt. They have a yearly cycle of new releases but they offer Camtasia to new users for $249 and updates for $99 to existing users. They offer a Maintenance plan of $49 per year when you update to a new version so you not only get the new version now but for $149 you get the next major release when it is available. They also offer access to an online collection of graphics, music, animations and more for a monthly fee.

E-on Software - Makers of Vue landscape rendering software. This is more of an installment plan. Divide the cost of a new future version into monthly payments of $12 per month for 12 months. Then you get the new version when released. They also offered in program purchases of 3D models, textures and training material.

If your subscription plan was like any of these three I would jump on it but the "pay or it stops working" is a nonstarter for me.

And lastly, before I retired I was an engineer for a small ISP where I would be in the data center at 4 a.m. 7 days a week and would work 14 hour days. Plus be on call 24/7 365 so I know about hard work. :)

William

I have the Steam version of TRS2019. Was I ever able to beta test this service pack? To the best of my knowledge the answer is no. So I should blindly trust your internal testers? As you know Steam only allows one install per PC. So I can't have multiple versions as with the retail version.

Because, as you state, you cannot run beta versions to test them, then the option to "blindly trust your internal testers" is obviously your only option. However, there was nothing stopping you from looking at the TRS19 and Trainz Plus beta forum to get an overview of the progress (or lack of progress), issues and discussions on the beta versions.

As you say "TRS2019 is the best version of Trainz" so why would I risk screwing it up with a worthless service pack

That, in your original post, is the problem. I have been an external SP1 beta tester and, in my opinion, the SP1 update is far from worthless. It does not fix everything but it does fix the issues that have concerned me and others. Since, by your own admission, you have been unable to test SP1 then how could you possibly justify the claim that it was worthless?

See my real problem is with that last bit. You quit paying and it quits working. I'm a sucker for new features. Send me an email outlining the new features of a piece of software I own and bang, you have a sale. But tell me I have to pay this month just to keep the same stuff I have working and we have a problem. It just feels like I am paying for nothing.

That is a perfectly valid opinion and one that is shared by others - but not everyone would agree. In my case, I decided against the subscription model (Gold and Silver) because I use very little DLC. While I would be interested in the new Plus features, again the subscription model is not for me and I am prepared to wait until the next version of Trainz is released with some or all of those features - just like I waited for the release of TANE and TRS19 to get their new features.

So my advice is consider different subscription models.

That, and your examples of alternative subscription models, was the most interesting (to me at least) part of your two posts - although the Techsmith offering would be out of my price comfort zone.

Last edited:
If I read this right you are saying that my "official" 100240 install will update to 105096? Has not happened yet but perhaps it's just not ready and those above speaking of "using the release" are referring to the beta 105096?

btw... I just "charted" all the releases for the past year and it is quite a long list! There a likely errors in my list but I show 7 updates to the 19 beta stream, 3? to the Plus stream, and 22 to the Plus beta stream. Of course, no change to "official" TRS19 release 100240 since about 12.20.18.?? (Again - this is the best I could come up with from going through old posts and my own installs.)

Thanks for the continuing improvement.

To get the update:
Train Launcher
> Trainz Settings
> Install tab
> Change Trainz update stream
> Next
> Next
> Change to TRS19 (if not already)
> Done
> Check for updates
> Update

Peter,
I do base my opinion on the value of SP1 to ME upon the posts I have read and upon what was listed in the wiki as the new features included or not included. I don't have the most severe bugs that are listed as fixed so that is of no value to me. In fact that is why I waited to buy TRS19 in the first place. Lots of threads with people having problems. I'm not saying SP1 is worthless to users suffering from those bugs or that are subscribers and get the new features available only to them. From this I gleamed that the "new" features consist of being able to zoom out of the cab position to the overhead map view and then back again and cinematic transitions between camera views. So following my lifelong motto of "don't fix what ain't broke" I believe I should pass on the SP1 update.

William

PS. Here is what the wiki says is in this update. Please note that the entry was edited on October 2.
http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/TRS19_SP1

Last edited:
To get the update:
Train Launcher
> Trainz Settings
> Install tab
> Change Trainz update stream
> Next
> Next
> Change to TRS19 (if not already)
> Done
> Check for updates
> Update

My 100240 install is on the "TRS19" update stream but no update if offered. I do have new Platinum streams though. My Plus install did successfully update. I have 4 separate instances of TRS19, 19beta, Plus, plus beta. The "official" TRS19 install has always remained on the TRS19 update path.

Sounds like your patcher is pointed to the wrong path. Try running the patch installer.exe from the install folder.

Sounds like your patcher is pointed to the wrong path. Try running the patch installer.exe from the install folder.

Nope.. I reinstalled TRS19 (new app, new data folder) and it remains on 100240 with TRS19 update path selected. Tried the Platinum path also and it remained on 100240.

Also confused why my MyTrainz download Editions show "Trainz Plus Edition" - Yes, I am on Gold and Trains Plus program but wouldn't the "Trainz Plus Edition" come from selecting that in the Update Stream. (My Trainz Plus Edition is updating fine.) - The "Trainz Plus Edition" download was in fact build 100240. Confused... as always...

Tony.. I now you must be extremely busy today. Answer as time allows. No hurry.

Last edited:
What error do you get?
Did you have your username entered in the game first?

The "Trainz Plus Edition" download was in fact build 100240.
>> Was that the zip file (if so what was the name of the file) or online installer?

If it was the online installer, did you ask it to install TRS19 or TRS19 Platinum?

Last edited:
"Content Store" updates:

Misc.

- Installs OK:

Additional TANE Assets for TRS19 (with error: One or more .../... for resource 'simc:sc491')
Generates missing dependencies for assets that didn't have before (fortunately all are on DLS)

Rolling Stock

- Install OK:

LMS Duchess (with error: One or more .../... for resource 'simc:tdd035')
Victorian Railways Type 2 DD Class Pack (with error: One or more .../... for resource 'simc:sc408')
Victorian Railways D1 Class (Type 4 - Newport) Black (with error: One or more .../... for resource 'simc:sc451')
ZecRail 2017 Christmas Train (with error: One or more .../... for resource 'simc:sc452')

- Doesn't install:

Orient Express Trainset (with error: One or more .../... for resource 'simc:sc447')
Installs instead: <kuid2:276266:100500:4> Kanawha K-4 driving wheels

- Installs nothing:

RZD-UZ-RIC Wagons (standard gauge) [with error: One or more .../... for resource 'simc:sc479']

- Partially installs:

NYC J3a-Dreyfuss Streamlined Hudson:

Missing dependencies, all "Not Installed, Payware (not active)":
<kuid2:523:19721258:1> Berkshire Interior
<kuid:276266:1273> steam smoke
<kuid:276266:100041> Berkshire N-1 Engine
<kuid2:276266:1092:1> Lamp Light

(To be cont. with Routes)

Same problem as mac here, stuck at build 100240 and getting "No update for Trainz is available at this current time" message.

Tried running the patch installer.exe just in case, but as I'd literally just updated from build 98xxx I was pretty sure this wasn't the issue.

Last edited:
What error do you get?
Did you have your username entered in the game first?

The "Trainz Plus Edition" download was in fact build 100240.
>> Was that the zip file (if so what was the name of the file) or online installer?

If it was the online installer, did you ask it to install TRS19 or TRS19 Platinum?

- I get no error. Just a "there is no update" msg.
- The new TRS19 install I just did was from a TRS19 Plus Edition download from my web Downloads center yesterday.
- It was the full offline install. Name was TRS19-installer-100240.zip
- After Updater told me there was no update to 100240 (just now) I tried the Platinum path. Result was "Nothing to install."

Back