Air Raid Sire Vanishes!

Alikiwi

Apprentice Creator
TANE, 1930s Cornish Mainline and Branches. I am working on a WW2 session. I have created a separate layer for the WW2 items which I have under the session layer. All has been going well until I added the Air Raid Siren by BNSF50. This is supposed to be the 20 second one, kuid2:39134:100258:2 although the notes say 8 sec. Anyway the problem is it keeps vanishing from the route!

I suspect it will only stay if added to the route layer = saving as a new route? To test it after 6 or 7 vanished (after saving and running the session), I added it to the WW2 layer, and added an extra troop. I added an extra troop to the session layer, then saved. Ran the driver and siren was there (as usual). Exited driver and went back to session. Siren vanished, but both extra troops still there! If I reload the route, or session there is no sign of it. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Some obvious questions to ask to clear up any confusion here on the part of us readers.

1. Are you saving the session each time you edit a session layer and are not just saving the route? (the most obvious question to ask in these situationa)
  2. Have you given the session its own distinctive name and are not just using "Default"? (This could explain why it vanishes after you reload the session into Surveyor).

My initial thoughts

Good gad, I'd never create a session and call it default. Shot me if I do. So yes, a session is created in Session, totally separate from routes. As I pointed out I have a separate layer (under session layer) called WW2. Just to throw more confusion, I have added the wayward item into the route layer (surveyor) and it saves there. However, open the session and the item isn't there, possibly because the session was created before adding the item to the route (and route layer). Utterly beats me why I can't add it to the session or WW2 layers and retain it.

I've done some testing and found for some reason (because it uses ATLS and triggers?) you can not add this to a session. I've tried it on another route and after playing a session, it vanishes. It appears it must be added to a route, BEFORE you create a session. That really buggers it up completely. Why would this be so? PS this is a bnsf50 product and I take it he isn't around anymore, not seen since 2016?

If I am not mistaken, BNSF50, Clem has passed. Who were BNSF50 together, Clem & his wife Linda

Last edited:
My understanding is if you add an item to the route layer or layers within the route, you will see it in both route and session.
When added only to "Edit session" and layers within session, you will not see the object in the route,

However I found much the same thing happened my end testing it as to what happened with yourself Alikiwi.
The siren seems to have a different perspective of where it will show.

When tested it in "edit route", it is visible in the route fine.
In "Edit Session" the siren added in "edit route" has "vanished"
Return to "edit route" and it is visible.

Add siren to "Edit session" it is visible there.
Quick Drive the Edit session" siren is visible.
Return to "Edit session" and the siren has vanished.
Reload quick drive the added siren from "edit session" has now vanished.
Load "Drive session" sirens still not visible.

Siren added in Edit route, not visible in "Edit session" or Quick drive at all.

Last edited:
Well, not just me then, at least you have confirmed my findings. That as I said before screws it up, as I'd have to overwrite the 1930s Cornish Mainline route (obviously not mine) and then start a new session, which has already taken a lot of work, although doable. I'll check with the route builder first before I proceed. Thanks for checking.

Well, after editing the Cornish - Penzance route to include the air raid siren, I've (from time to time) worked on a WW2 session to use as a base for all WW2 sessions. I now find the siren has vanished! It is beyond me to understand how, given it is now built into the route, and shows up when creating a session, that it jolly well vanishes the next time you edit the session. Rather makes it totally useless from any point of view. The asset is Build 2.9 and I'm not sure if that's the reason. Sadly there is only one other available which sounds continuously, which isn't desirable at all. It's an even older build, 2.5 but at least it works. If anyone could shed some light on this, or a way I could fix it, I'm sure a lot of us would be grateful. The session I did upload a month ago has already been download 200+ times from memory.

If anyone could shed some light on this, or a way I could fix it, I'm sure a lot of us would be grateful.

You haven't indicated how you have configured it with the ATLS controller. The asset includes a facility to hide or show the mesh - perhaps your configuration has it set to hide, or perhaps it defaults to hidden.

Not sure how I can configure it to work with an ATLS controller when it's not there! Or is it possible it will show up if the ATLS is configured? I'll have a fiddle with that tomorrow, could be interesting....

Back