Thread: Questions about model railroad terminology

United States of America, Oklahoma, Lawton
    Blog Entries

Question Questions about model railroad terminology

The back area, usually out of sight of general spectators, is called the staging room or fiddle room.

What is the area of a train layout called if it is the area where spectators normally view trains running called?

At a baseball game, spectators watch the game's being played on the playing field, not in the dressing room.

What is the playing field of the RR layout called as opposed to the usually-hidden staging area?
    TANE SP2 Build 90945, downloaded Dec. 2017, TS12 Build 61388, downloaded Feb. 2018, American citizen, Lawton, OK

Lightbulb

Think it might be called Hot Spots, see this first link, and search key word "HOT SPOTS"

"The best places are called "hot spots," and Berea is known nationally as such a place. "

https://www.ble-t.org/pr/news/headline.asp?id=6921

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railfan

Others may have a better Description.........

Those who grow Coral (aquariums) have a "grow out tank" and their main "show tank" (main sculpted permanent tank). Likewise, maybe you could call it your "show layout" or "show area."? Or perhap instead of "back room," the "main room." - Grasping at straws here!
    TRS19 SP1(Plus), 105100(plus), 106618(+beta)
    ASUS B450M-A/CSM, GTX 1060-6 Windforce

How about "Zones"...

1. The guys fiddling with the trains etc are "In the
    Zone" so to speak.

2. The Punters (spectators/clients etc) are in the "Punters Zone"

3. Kids are in the "Kidz Zone"

4. Mums (Moms) are in the "Outer Zone"

5. I suppose that places Trainz folk in the "Inner Zone"

6. And at the end of the day everyone is "Zoned Out"!
    butler57

The place where spectators stand is called.........

The Viewing Area.

The place where the train operators stand is callled........

The Operating Area

The out of sight area is called....

The Fiddle Yard

At least it was when I was a model railway exhibition manager last century.
    Graham,

A member of TCWW

Blog Entries

How about just the MAIN LAYOUT?

This is the place decorated with the model scenery where scale railroad trains mimic a part of the real world or an imaginary world.

Yes, generally spectators and operators are going to stand and sit in an area with model scenery. This is usually a floor in a room with bench-work.

A fiddle room or staging area is generally not decorated with scenery. Consists are changed, made up or stowed in the fiddle room.

Think of the MAIN LAYOUT as the CENTER STAGE of a theater and the FIDDLE ROOM as the makeup room or wardrobe behind the curtain.

The MAIN LAYOUT is where the model railroading is actually exhibited.
    TANE SP2 Build 90945, downloaded Dec. 2017, TS12 Build 61388, downloaded Feb. 2018, American citizen, Lawton, OK

The "Model Railroad train frequentologigist's display, showcase, historical convention center. "That" is a building that you would go into early Saturday morning, and don't end up coming out until it is dark, (and no it's not "Work", or the "Pub"). And it is where you would end up spending your entire day, on Saturday, down at the Model Railroad club, or convention center, and just might just do it all over again the very next day, on Sunday. It is also the place that you would mute your cell phone ringer. A place you can hide, and have a good time, and have a good alibi, and the wifey can't get ahold of you, cause you screen your incoming calls, and won't answer your cell phone. It oftentimes is the dungeon down in the basement, (unless you are unmarried), then the model railroad train setup is right smack dab in the middle of your dining and living room, oftentimes wreaking of smoke from cigars, pipe tobacco, and "Lionel, Lifelike linseed oil Smoke Fluid"
    Last edited by MP242; December 16th, 2019 at 01:07 AM.
    My apologies to all. I have decided that in these horrible current events, we all need to stick together as a Community

Blog Entries

THE MODEL TRAIN VENUE?

Yep MP242 is right those Model Train venues reeked of smoke, sweat and all assortment of odours back in the day. Blokes hanging out doing stuff that blokes do - whinging about the missus, the kids, work and showing off their latest hacked model loco or other model train bits. The good old days before computers, TV and iphones.
    butler57

boat
    bōt
    A shallow depression in a body of water, in which you pour all your hard earned cash into.
    (The happiest days of your life are, when you first buy a boat, and then when you sell it).

Likewise with model trains
    My apologies to all. I have decided that in these horrible current events, we all need to stick together as a Community

Blog Entries

A day doesn't go by that I regret I sold her ..

She was of the bullet proof class Pearson's . But could move . Rebuilt the engine , redid the bright work , rigging and tiller, and decks . A day working on her , was always better then a day at work . We had sail , trains, and plane all from her deck .

Matt
    work hard, Play harder

Neighbors of ours were throwing out 12 perfectly good hollow core doors from closets. I usually trash pick good stuff like that, but I missed out on it that day. Hollow core luan plywood doors make the best sectional train platforms, desks, and shelves.

Quote Originally Posted by JonMyrlennBailey View Post
    The back area, usually out of sight of general spectators, is called the staging room or fiddle room.

What is the area of a train layout called if it is the area where spectators normally view trains running called?

At a baseball game, spectators watch the game's being played on the playing field, not in the dressing room.

What is the playing field of the RR layout called as opposed to the usually-hidden staging area?
    It is called the Viewing Area, and the modelling part is called the layout.
    Graham,

A member of TCWW

Ahhhh! The old red flag - it seems once again you have managed to answer your own question in this thread - time to zone out.
    butler57