TANE / '19 Content manager house cleaning questions

rick1958

Hey folks, trying to understand content manager and have a few questions...

Some items are listed as Installed / obsolete yet it shows they do have dependents.
I don't understand why they are obsolete yet apparently still in use?

Can items shown as Open for edit be safely deleted? I'm assuming if it's open it won't show up on any route anyway, but will it result in missing content?

Lastly and most important, is there a way to filter content to show only unused content so it can be easily removed? Mostly remnants from unwanted, deleted routes

Thanks for the help!

Just as easy on Open for Edit to right click and select revert to original. You can do them a bunch at a time.

Some items are listed as Installed / obsolete yet it shows they do have dependents.

The dependants that are listed are dependants of any version of that asset. So the version that obsoletes the one you are looking at will be the one that actually gets used as the dependency. The obsolete version can be deleted.

Can items shown as Open for edit be safely deleted? I'm assuming if it's open it won't show up on any route anyway, but will it result in missing content?

No. You should determine why it is open for edit and revert or commit accordingly. If you revert if unchanged then that gets rid of assets only opened for looking at. In most other cases you would revert to original, so that nothing is changed. If an asset has been edited you need to submit edits.

Good point by SailorDan Regarding Open for Edit. But I have found that most of mine come from installing CDPs downloaded from third party sites. Trainz seems to open them and then leave them as Open for Edit, so I just revert them. BUt if it is something being edited, you might want the edits. But if you did not open it for editing....

Thanks guys...The only other thing is trying to filter unused content, such as orphaned content from deleted routes that's no longer used or wanted.

Thanks guys...The only other thing is trying to filter unused content, such as orphaned content from deleted routes that's no longer used or wanted.
Unfortunately there is no filter which will do that. Manually by viewing dependants seems to be the only way.
General maintenence is a must though.
Filter for 'out of date' assets sorted by status and update. Those which are 'modified' or 'installed from DLS' can be updated in bulk. Built-ins and payware need to 'List asset version' to update in bulk.
Remove obsolete assets which are not built in. Failure to do so will lead to versioning issues. Built in assets cannot be deleted.
After this process run a database rebuild and most troubles will be gone.
cheers Graeme

Thanks...It seems that would be a fairly simple filter to incorporate into the CM. It would certainly be a useful tool

Back