Updating NVidia Driver

Robertbc6

Hi,

I've been having some trouble with my GeForce GTX 660 card. (I know it's old, but it's what I've got until next year, when I'll buy a new computer.) The question I have is about updating the driver. I do have Windows 10 - 64 bit. I am running the current version of TRS2019 (100240). In the Device Manager, I show the following info for the GTX 660 - Date:7/24/2019, Version: 26.21.14.3200, Signer: Microsoft. It appears I am running the NVidia card on a Microsoft driver? On the NVidia site, it lists driver version 441.41 as the current driver for that card. Should I upgrade? If so, do I upgrade through the Windows Device Manager, or the Nvidia site? Do I have to uninstall the old driver first? Any help you can give me will be appreciated.

Bob Morrison

NVIDIA updates its game drivers frequently; which is normally accomplished via the GeForce Experience desktop application (if you don't have the application, search the NVIDIA web-site for GeForce Experience). You can also search the NVIDIA site for the latest drivers for your GeForce GTX 660 Card. You don't need to un-install your old drivers; that will happen automatically during the driver upgrade. Also, if you 'right click' on your desktop a menu appears that includes a tab for the NVIDIA Control Panel. The Control Panel enables you to refine the 3D settings for your particular Card (if you search You Tube there are several good tutorials available to help you get the best out of your Card). Use this link to find the most recent drivers for your Card: https://www.geforce.co.uk/drivers

Regards
Bob

Robertbc6 - Confirming that nVidia recommend driver version 441.41 for GeForce 600 series cards. You do not need to install the GeForce Experience app when you do update the drivers - suggest simply untick that option when you choose a Custom install.
Link for US-based users: https://www.geforce.com/drivers .
teddytoot - What was the message you received when your GTX670 failed to update? Did it relate to the DCH version of the drivers, perhaps? If so, just choose the appropriate Windows driver type from the pick list and install that:
WINDOWS DRIVER TYPE"Standard" packages are those that do not require the DCH driver components.
"DCH" (Declarative, Componentized, Hardware Support Apps) refers to new packages preinstalled by OEMS implementing the Microsoft Universal Driver paradigm.
DCH drivers cannot be installed over a standard system, and Standard drivers cannot be installed over a DCH system.

To confirm the type of system you have, locate Driver Type under the System Information menu in the NVIDIA Control Panel.

I tried again and this time it worked. I found the original download for some reason was a laptop version!

Back