Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timetables

Default Timetables

Are there timetables for routes? As in, can you pick a train during your session and drive its timetable? In OpenRails you typically can choose a timetable from dozens throughout the day and drive it.

Also, if I start one of the default sessions, am I able to switch between trains and drive another one to its timetable instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Ekaton View Post
    Are there timetables for routes? As in, can you pick a train during your session and drive its timetable? In OpenRails you typically can choose a timetable from dozens throughout the day and drive it.

Also, if I start one of the default sessions, am I able to switch between trains and drive another one to its timetable instead?

There are no set timetables for routes the way you've mentioned. However when routes are available on the DLS, the creator generally builds 'Sessions' which can incorporate set driver commands, so that you can sit back and enjoy the ride.

Default sessions are established when the route builder fails to name the session, and in many cases, is never complete.

Sure you can start a default session, switch between trains, add additional trains, etc.

OR,

You can create your own 'Named Session' with your own driver commands.

For ideas on 'Aussie' layouts check the 'Australian Screenshots' thread.

Good luck and enjoy.

Roy

Oft requested feature over the last 18 years or so of Trainz existence but yet to materialise. And as for Train Sim World approach with an all day timetable that keeps running and lets you jump on and off trains either travelling or taking over driving, forget it!

However Trainz has an easy to use editor (TSW has none and seems unlikely to get one in the foreseeable future) to build a route or layout, which is what keeps people like me playing it.
    TRS 2019 Coach Class (Former Customer)

You'd have to create a Session. Some people say they run a good number of trains based on a "timetable." Never done it myself. To give an idea of rules available for session writing see this page:
    http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/i...ith_Parameters

This is not "set in stone" though. Some rules don't work in certain versions, some rules have limitations, etc. For example, see Know Issues, in the Driver Schedule Rule: http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/i..._Schedule_Rule
    TRS19 SP1(Plus), Plus-105100, Plus Beta-105100
    ASUS B450M-A/CSM, GTX 1060-6 Windforce

So are there no sessions with pre-set trains moving about where you can just pick a loco and do some missions? Like cargos with their destinations that you can pick and deliver.

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by Ekaton View Post
    So are there no sessions with pre-set trains moving about where you can just pick a loco and do some missions? Like cargos with their destinations that you can pick and deliver.
    You can create your own, or you can take someone else's session and modify it for your own. You can even add in your own consists on the fly. You can also take over an AI-driven train and do what you want with it.

I for example like shunting and switching industries. On two routes I run extensively there are some fairly big yards with engine facilities and a passing mainline. On my very dense and busy Gloucester Terminal Electric route, I have trams busily going about their driving schedules, stopping at various stations, and repeatedly following a looped line. This route also has a switching line associated with it that serves various industries along the docks and some other line-side industries as well as a big quarry operation. This busy line is connected to a mainline that runs east and west to and from Boston and Rockport upon which I run passenger and freight trains at 17 minute schedules both ways.

I will make up a train in the yard for delivery to various industries or sometimes take goods from these industries and place them on the interchange track for the mainline. To get an AI train to pick up the freight, I will take over that train, take the engines off and direct the AI to go visit the engine facilities. While they're "being serviced", I will switch in and out any wagons I want to forward on to the outside world. Once I'm done switching, I'll move my switcher to a spur in the yard, and direct the AI to couple on to the train and continue on their journey in whatever direction they were heading.

As far as actual passenger schedules go, no there are none which is what the others were saying.

I recommend editing a session to see how it's done. Some of these can be quit complex, while others are quite simple. There's also a good wiki article, link above on how to build a driver schedule using simple Drive-To or Navigate-To destinations (industry or station) plus Navigate via and Drive via track marks.

To be honest, I highly recommend keeping things as simple as possible in the beginning. This is the best way to learn the ropes and once you've mastered that, you can try other more complex things.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 105100

The thing is John, it is very easy to set up schedules for AI trains using the existing rules and commands, with "Wait until xx time" as an addition.

The problem is, as soon as a player takes over a train, that schedule vanishes and it reverts to just being free roam. Ditto setting up the schedule for a player specific train.

Now obviously there is a way of setting up a command string for player trains as some of the built in routes have it - ECML, that Aussie historical route. However it is nowhere evident or even documented how you go about doing that for the player train, or any train the player may wish to take over. If N3V could get this in the sim, along with the AI setting the route and deciding priorities over other traffic, instead of steadfastly ignoring this gaping hole in their software then Trainz could easily rival TSW, TS2020 or ancient MSTS/OR in the driving stakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    The thing is John, it is very easy to set up schedules for AI trains using the existing rules and commands, with "Wait until xx time" as an addition.

The problem is, as soon as a player takes over a train, that schedule vanishes and it reverts to just being free roam. Ditto setting up the schedule for a player specific train.

Now obviously there is a way of setting up a command string for player trains as some of the built in routes have it - ECML, that Aussie historical route. However it is nowhere evident or even documented how you go about doing that for the player train, or any train the player may wish to take over. If N3V could get this in the sim, along with the AI setting the route and deciding priorities over other traffic, instead of steadfastly ignoring this gaping hole in their software then Trainz could easily rival TSW, TS2020 or ancient MSTS/OR in the driving stakes.

Using the Schedule Library a player can take control and give it back but you have to delete the commands you have bypassed.
    Using those little buttons on the right and 'Continue schedule'.
    Last edited by Ghost42; December 9th, 2019 at 07:02 AM.

Still not very intuitive though, for what should be a basic function of any train sim!

Sorry for intruding – but could someone explain what the timetabling system is? I have less than 30 hours total of actually using simulators as a simulator so I don’t really know what it entails.
    Regards Ron

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost42 View Post
    Using the Schedule Library a player can take control and give it back but you have to delete the commands you have bypassed.
    Using those little buttons on the right and 'Continue schedule'.
    Yes. I use the Schedule Library all the time. You can stop the AI, take over, and then continue where they left off if you have to as I do. I didn't mention the Schedule Library this time as it's yet another level of complexity for a new user.

I agree that using wait until xxxxx command works well, but it's cumbersome for a real passenger schedule. We need a better method, which is what I'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Still not very intuitive though, for what should be a basic function of any train sim!
    I agree! Trainz, as we've said before, is too geeky for lack of another term. There should be an easy-mode and an advanced-mode. In the easy-mode, the program makes use of a guided wizard to setup a driver's command queue and assist with creating a session. This can be as complex or as lite as we want to make it. The advanced-mode, however, will be the way we have it now, and there could be a button in the easy-mode wizard to skip the wizard at any time and go to the advanced-mode or manual setup.

This will help the new-user become accustomed to session building, and hopefully spark their eager mind to look further at the manual, aka advanced-mode, to do other bigger and better things.

And as I've said before we need a table-like setup for entering in a passenger schedule.

This could be done individually, or as a table to handle all passenger trains. I have to think this out a bit more for details and I'll post this in the Suggestion Boxcar forum.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 105100

Nice one John - it also needs to be retained on the player taking control. The problem is that N3V and Auran before them have swept the matter under the table for years, so good luck getting anyone to actually action such a feature!

Even a model railway needs a schedule particularly if you are doing an urban or transit style layout.

Perhaps now is the time to really make a push for this! Tony just reported that this is #4 on the voting request list. See this post:
    https://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...33#post1782233
    TRS19 SP1(Plus), Plus-105100, Plus Beta-105100
    ASUS B450M-A/CSM, GTX 1060-6 Windforce

The problem is that N3V and Auran before them have swept the matter under the table for years
    Yep, we have a very big table. Luckily, Trainz is powerful and scripters can implement any variety of systems such as a timetable rule without waiting for N3V to implement a native solution. In fact pguy has created a system that does a pretty decent job at the task - he produced a timetable rule years ago.

<kuid2:61392:8300:63> Stops and TimeTables manager (SP2 and later)
    Tony Hilliam

Got questions about TRS19? Click here for TRS19 FAQs

Looking for answers to in-game functionality? Click here for help

Appreciate that Tony, but this is the point I'm making. First I've heard of this particular rule and does it even come with instructions? (In English).

Can you not see the point several of us are making here... Trainz is getting on for 20 years since the first code was laid down yet there is still not a simple(ish) built in interface as part of the core programme, to do what the MSTS AE or TS2020 (RW) scenario editor can do?

Train sims are not just about pretty graphics, or even sound and physics for that matter, it's actually being able to simulate proper operation. You've obviously played Train Sim World, can you not see the huge advantage Trainz would gain if not only did routes offer an all day timetable but also the means built in for players to create this, something DTG are still struggling to provide due to the rigidity of the UE4 game engine.