Timetables

Ekaton

Are there timetables for routes? As in, can you pick a train during your session and drive its timetable? In OpenRails you typically can choose a timetable from dozens throughout the day and drive it.

Also, if I start one of the default sessions, am I able to switch between trains and drive another one to its timetable instead?

Are there timetables for routes? As in, can you pick a train during your session and drive its timetable? In OpenRails you typically can choose a timetable from dozens throughout the day and drive it.

Also, if I start one of the default sessions, am I able to switch between trains and drive another one to its timetable instead?

There are no set timetables for routes the way you've mentioned. However when routes are available on the DLS, the creator generally builds 'Sessions' which can incorporate set driver commands, so that you can sit back and enjoy the ride.

Default sessions are established when the route builder fails to name the session, and in many cases, is never complete.

Sure you can start a default session, switch between trains, add additional trains, etc.

OR,

You can create your own 'Named Session' with your own driver commands.

For ideas on 'Aussie' layouts check the 'Australian Screenshots' thread.

Good luck and enjoy.

Roy

Oft requested feature over the last 18 years or so of Trainz existence but yet to materialise. And as for Train Sim World approach with an all day timetable that keeps running and lets you jump on and off trains either travelling or taking over driving, forget it!

However Trainz has an easy to use editor (TSW has none and seems unlikely to get one in the foreseeable future) to build a route or layout, which is what keeps people like me playing it.

You'd have to create a Session. Some people say they run a good number of trains based on a "timetable." Never done it myself. To give an idea of rules available for session writing see this page:
http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Session_Rule_List_with_Parameters

This is not "set in stone" though. Some rules don't work in certain versions, some rules have limitations, etc. For example, see Know Issues, in the Driver Schedule Rule: http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Session_Rule_List_with_Parameters#Driver_Schedule_Rule

So are there no sessions with pre-set trains moving about where you can just pick a loco and do some missions? Like cargos with their destinations that you can pick and deliver.

So are there no sessions with pre-set trains moving about where you can just pick a loco and do some missions? Like cargos with their destinations that you can pick and deliver.

You can create your own, or you can take someone else's session and modify it for your own. You can even add in your own consists on the fly. You can also take over an AI-driven train and do what you want with it.

I for example like shunting and switching industries. On two routes I run extensively there are some fairly big yards with engine facilities and a passing mainline. On my very dense and busy Gloucester Terminal Electric route, I have trams busily going about their driving schedules, stopping at various stations, and repeatedly following a looped line. This route also has a switching line associated with it that serves various industries along the docks and some other line-side industries as well as a big quarry operation. This busy line is connected to a mainline that runs east and west to and from Boston and Rockport upon which I run passenger and freight trains at 17 minute schedules both ways.

I will make up a train in the yard for delivery to various industries or sometimes take goods from these industries and place them on the interchange track for the mainline. To get an AI train to pick up the freight, I will take over that train, take the engines off and direct the AI to go visit the engine facilities. While they're "being serviced", I will switch in and out any wagons I want to forward on to the outside world. Once I'm done switching, I'll move my switcher to a spur in the yard, and direct the AI to couple on to the train and continue on their journey in whatever direction they were heading.

As far as actual passenger schedules go, no there are none which is what the others were saying.

I recommend editing a session to see how it's done. Some of these can be quit complex, while others are quite simple. There's also a good wiki article, link above on how to build a driver schedule using simple Drive-To or Navigate-To destinations (industry or station) plus Navigate via and Drive via track marks.

To be honest, I highly recommend keeping things as simple as possible in the beginning. This is the best way to learn the ropes and once you've mastered that, you can try other more complex things.

The thing is John, it is very easy to set up schedules for AI trains using the existing rules and commands, with "Wait until xx time" as an addition.

The problem is, as soon as a player takes over a train, that schedule vanishes and it reverts to just being free roam. Ditto setting up the schedule for a player specific train.

Now obviously there is a way of setting up a command string for player trains as some of the built in routes have it - ECML, that Aussie historical route. However it is nowhere evident or even documented how you go about doing that for the player train, or any train the player may wish to take over. If N3V could get this in the sim, along with the AI setting the route and deciding priorities over other traffic, instead of steadfastly ignoring this gaping hole in their software then Trainz could easily rival TSW, TS2020 or ancient MSTS/OR in the driving stakes.

The thing is John, it is very easy to set up schedules for AI trains using the existing rules and commands, with "Wait until xx time" as an addition.

The problem is, as soon as a player takes over a train, that schedule vanishes and it reverts to just being free roam. Ditto setting up the schedule for a player specific train.

Now obviously there is a way of setting up a command string for player trains as some of the built in routes have it - ECML, that Aussie historical route. However it is nowhere evident or even documented how you go about doing that for the player train, or any train the player may wish to take over. If N3V could get this in the sim, along with the AI setting the route and deciding priorities over other traffic, instead of steadfastly ignoring this gaping hole in their software then Trainz could easily rival TSW, TS2020 or ancient MSTS/OR in the driving stakes.

Using the Schedule Library a player can take control and give it back but you have to delete the commands you have bypassed.
Using those little buttons on the right :) and 'Continue schedule'.

Last edited:
Still not very intuitive though, for what should be a basic function of any train sim!

Sorry for intruding – but could someone explain what the timetabling system is? I have less than 30 hours total of actually using simulators as a simulator so I don’t really know what it entails.

Using the Schedule Library a player can take control and give it back but you have to delete the commands you have bypassed.
Using those little buttons on the right :) and 'Continue schedule'.

Yes. I use the Schedule Library all the time. You can stop the AI, take over, and then continue where they left off if you have to as I do. I didn't mention the Schedule Library this time as it's yet another level of complexity for a new user.

I agree that using wait until xxxxx command works well, but it's cumbersome for a real passenger schedule. We need a better method, which is what I'm saying.

Still not very intuitive though, for what should be a basic function of any train sim!

I agree! Trainz, as we've said before, is too geeky for lack of another term. There should be an easy-mode and an advanced-mode. In the easy-mode, the program makes use of a guided wizard to setup a driver's command queue and assist with creating a session. This can be as complex or as lite as we want to make it. The advanced-mode, however, will be the way we have it now, and there could be a button in the easy-mode wizard to skip the wizard at any time and go to the advanced-mode or manual setup.

This will help the new-user become accustomed to session building, and hopefully spark their eager mind to look further at the manual, aka advanced-mode, to do other bigger and better things.

And as I've said before we need a table-like setup for entering in a passenger schedule.

This could be done individually, or as a table to handle all passenger trains. I have to think this out a bit more for details and I'll post this in the Suggestion Boxcar forum.

Nice one John - it also needs to be retained on the player taking control. The problem is that N3V and Auran before them have swept the matter under the table for years, so good luck getting anyone to actually action such a feature! :)

Even a model railway needs a schedule particularly if you are doing an urban or transit style layout.

The problem is that N3V and Auran before them have swept the matter under the table for years

Yep, we have a very big table. Luckily, Trainz is powerful and scripters can implement any variety of systems such as a timetable rule without waiting for N3V to implement a native solution. In fact pguy has created a system that does a pretty decent job at the task - he produced a timetable rule years ago.

<kuid2:61392:8300:63> Stops and TimeTables manager (SP2 and later)

Appreciate that Tony, but this is the point I'm making. First I've heard of this particular rule and does it even come with instructions? (In English).

Can you not see the point several of us are making here... Trainz is getting on for 20 years since the first code was laid down yet there is still not a simple(ish) built in interface as part of the core programme, to do what the MSTS AE or TS2020 (RW) scenario editor can do?

Train sims are not just about pretty graphics, or even sound and physics for that matter, it's actually being able to simulate proper operation. You've obviously played Train Sim World, can you not see the huge advantage Trainz would gain if not only did routes offer an all day timetable but also the means built in for players to create this, something DTG are still struggling to provide due to the rigidity of the UE4 game engine.

Hi

P Guy provides comprehensive instructions in the Wiki for his rules and driver commands involving Enhanced ITs etc.

http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Enhanced_Interlocking_Tower
http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Enhanced_Interlocking_Tower_Manager_Rule
http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Enhanced_Interlocking_Tower_Tip_001
http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Mission_Code_Stops_and_TimeTables_Manager
http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/MissionCodes_Manager
http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Quick_Portal_Manager

Pierre also has some small demo routes on the DLS that show how everything goes together. Search for author "pguy" to find them.

This probably isn't the nice simple no effort system that people seem to be wanting but it is a very effective path setting and timetabling system once you get to grips with it.
I'm retired and I do appreciate that not everyone has the same time to spare as myself in order to learn this but if you can put the time and effort in then it can be very rewarding.

Regards

Brian

So the timetable manager Tony referenced is actually part of a wider package involving interlocking towers.

Sorry, but not really anything like the built in easy to use/simple UI solution which is what is being postulated here.

I can only guess about how a real railroad operates and I am sure most in the Trainz world are in the same status. We can guess BUT...

Some people with railroad operational knowledge need to start an outline on separate passenger and freight operations. This establishes objectives and makes it easier to either select existing rules, modify rules, or create new rules. You must take into consideration the realities of operating massive chunks of mobile iron on massive amounts of iron rails. Place that into a REAL weather environment to consider equipment failures, etc... You might want to even toss in work stoppages and their impact.

The other reality is the unpredictable customer who REALYY drives freight, and to a degree passenger services.

We seem to have the tools to start trains and stop trains but no comprehensive view of a clock. There is more focus on subsets of time - delay for seconds, minutes or hours. There seems to be little access to clock time and the need to use time marks for actions.

Educate me please. Would a "proper" "timetable manager" work at the (train) car level and also manage/track each train car? ie; It's not only a time table manager but also a car tracker?

I looked at the Destination Database video from the link provided above and it seems to track only. No scheduling. Are not both needed? (Trainz Pro Routes is giving me "account suspended") Do they still exist? I think that is the source of Destination Database?

1611mac, TPR has been down for over a month. There are a couple of threads discussing this that were merged together. Look HERE.

Bob Pearson

Back