Merging Routes - TRS19 - Build 100240

pitmilly

A little guidance from the experts please.

Am in the process of putting together a representation of the one-time railways of East Fife and have used TransDEM (64 bit), version 2.6.4.1, to produce three separate modules. A small area of overlap was created where each of the three modules adjoin and a session (just a relatively short length of track) has been created within each module “Default” file. Each of these Session layers has then been merged into its respective Route layer. My aim is now to merge, one at a time, these three modules into one main route.

Pages 73/74 of the TransDEM Trainz Edition Manual, while explicit, appear to be somewhat brief, hence my concern. I can’t quite believe that it’s that simple. Reference is also made to TransDem-UTM and TransDEM-Vector layers appearing in all modules (they do in mine, along with the route and session layers). The instruction is to “combine them and retain the names”. Is this all covered by one blanket press of a button or is there a whole raft of other additional actions to be taken?

HELP!!!!!!!!! - Please

John Webster

John,

Simply combine layers that have the same name such as Route to Route, UTM to UTM, Vector to Vector. There is no need to do this for the session layers.

If you don't use UTM or Vectors from TransDEM, you can merge them into the Route layer which will effectively delete them.

Hope this helps.

One item I would like to add,

Before merging the Routes, any and all Rolling Stock, Locomotives should be completely removed off your Merge Routes.

I was told this many years ago by another member, that Trainz will cause weird problems if any Rolling Stock and Locomotives were left on any of the Routes to be merged.

If this is changed, please advise, and I will update my personal Notes on Merge procedures. ???

i merged the clinchfield pro with jrs cold creek and cumberland to connersville with cars in yards . it was a pain but doable. large routes require patience. had to go and fix all the trc level crossings. ond find arepair the occasional track breakage. works fine though.
ejb

John, Pware, Blue and EJB,

Mission accomplished and many thanks for your help.

For the record, as suggested, I merged the TransDEM - UTM and Vector layers into the route layers of each of the three modules before attempting the merge - no apparent problems - so far; the Trainz Online Wiki - How to Merge Routes is an infinitely more comprehensive instruction sheet and with graphics, spells out the various steps required to achieve the desired result. Fortunately, apart from a few pieces of track there were no scenic or stock assets to be concerned about which I imagine made the merging of the three modules a simpler and possibly speedier process.

I did run up against one problem in that I'd deliberately created an overlapping grid on all three modules in the belief that the merge process would allow me to lay one module over its neighbour and thereby provide perfect alignment. The experts will know that this idea doesn't work - the system is set up to align the edge of each module against its neighbour. but only for one axis. This can be either the vertical or the horizontal axis dependant on your route orientation. In my case aligning the north-south axis was straightforward but given the degree of magnification required, I had to place red markers on the adjoining modules in order to correctly align the East-West grid. Not a problem - if you are prepared beforehand. On a second reading of the TransDEM Trainz manual, it does actually say "don't create any overlap".

Again, many thanks.

Back