Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your latest newsletter...

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Hilliam View Post
    That's correct. The list isn't "this is what we will do right now", it is "just some of the stuff we;d like to do".

Kickstarter raised $191k, development on TANE was well in excess of 10x that amount.

Kirlbe, it's a shame that you spilt your coffee, and a shame that pretty much every post you make bashes us over the head (or claims we're shot ourselves in the foot ).

Have you considered why these items aren't completed yet? Do you think we're happy with progress? Do you think we think users are happy with progress? We're not, and we're doing all we can to make things better than they are.

We work long hours week after week. We do all we can to make the game as good as we can. We never sit down and have a meeting and say "now, how can we annoy everyone today?".

If things are so bad, there's no need to hang around here, but since you are, I guess things aren't really quite as bad as you make out.

So, rant over, back to the post, the whole point is to get a fresh look at the things we wanted to do years ago and find out what priorities people have today. If we're to be admonished for asking our fans what they'd like to see us work on next, then I really do give up.
    I remember that very well. T:ANE and TRS19 have come a long way from where we were even a few years ago.

You say this a lot more eloquently that I could. If I could say what I was really thinking, you would have grounds to snap me with the ban hammer.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 105100

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JCitron View Post
    If I could say what I was really thinking, you would have grounds to snap me with the ban hammer.
    I am with you on that. Unfortunately the poster has a habit of shooting himself in the foot just after he plants his foot firmly in his mouth. While we all welcome constructive criticisms (or should do) and new ideas on how to do things, comments such as ...

Here is a idea, finish the list!
    Just amazed someone in the office thought it was a good idea to post that, and then shoot themselves in the foot when haven't even delivered. Goals or not , milestones or not. You have a list in front of you. Maybe complete it.

... without any attempt to look at the "facts" first indicates that there is a significant problem here, and it is not with N3V.

My opinions.
    TRS19 Platinum 105100 - TRS19 SP1 (standard) 105096 - TANE SP4 105766

I still have a copy of UTC sitting in my bookcase alongside all my other old video games. If ever I want to know how far Trainz has come I only need to fire up my Windows XP computer (not connected to the internet) and start up UTC. We've actually got it pretty good and while it would be lovely if everything on that list was done and dusted this is the real world where the Trainz team only have so many hours in a day to work on our favourite simulator. Writing good code takes time and the more features that are added to the simulator that have to work in with what is already there the harder it gets to bug fix everything.

I know I've posted the odd critical remark myself on the forums, but seriously we've got it pretty good compared with other computer game franchises that are around in that Tony communicates with us and listens to what we have to say.
    Narcolepsy is not napping.

History lesson needed.

As a newcomer around here (TRS19-Early release was my first purchase) would someone kindly tell me the "story" of the Kickstarter program? I've read some Wiki pages. It sounds similar to TRS-19 Early Release perhaps. Or was it more than that? Did "supporters" support simply by buying "pre-release" versions of Tane? Thanks.
    TRS19 SP1(Plus), 105100(plus), 106618(+beta)
    ASUS B450M-A/CSM, GTX 1060-6 Windforce

Thanks for the support folks. We've come a long long way since TANE CE which was released almost 5 years ago (wow - another anniversary next week).
    Tony Hilliam

Got questions about TRS19? Click here for TRS19 FAQs

Looking for answers to in-game functionality? Click here for help

Quote Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
    History lesson needed.

As a newcomer around here (TRS19-Early release was my first purchase) would someone kindly tell me the "story" of the Kickstarter program? I've read some Wiki pages. It sounds similar to TRS-19 Early Release perhaps. Or was it more than that? Did "supporters" support simply by buying "pre-release" versions of Tane? Thanks.
    The Kickstarter was crowd funding towards finishing the initial version of TANE, backers got rewarded with various things depending on how much they contributed. Pretty much how any crowd funding works.
    Malc

Quote Originally Posted by clam1952 View Post
    The Kickstarter was crowd funding towards finishing the initial version of TANE, backers got rewarded with various things depending on how much they contributed. Pretty much how any crowd funding works.
    Thanks for the info. I appreciate that.
    TRS19 SP1(Plus), 105100(plus), 106618(+beta)
    ASUS B450M-A/CSM, GTX 1060-6 Windforce

Blog Entries

Steam Locomotives on the TEST TRACK. 5 years and still waiting.

Bob Pearson
    TRAINZ-UTC-TRS04-TRS06-TC1&2-TC3-TS09-TS10-TS12-TANE(TEG)-TMR17-TS19
    Member since 6-14-2002

I'll just mention that not everyone who supported the KickStarter decided to keep the banner saying so.

I'll also admit to thinking that rehashing a list of aspirations from 2013 was not necessarily a wise thing to do. Actually, at the moment, I'm not thinking beyond the patches that have been just around the corner for months.

However, as it's Christmas and N3V are still trying to do the best:

'Yay, Trainz!'

It's all very subjective anyway, for example multiplayer - whether driving/operating or in Surveyor holds no interest for me. However a MSTS or TS2020 style timetable and schedule builder most certainly does. There are other items which are not on that Kickstarter list, such as a long overdue overhaul of the tunnel system (including the ability to get under the terrain in Surveyor) or making changes in the advanced post processing settings saveable. Heck even the oft requested rgb field inputs for the environmental dials.

Then there's the whole issue of cabs and sounds which I've mentioned at length previously, although chicken and egg applies here - get the simulation aspect to the point where the die hard MSTS/OR and TS2020 fans will consider Trainz as a viable option and they will come across bringing their talents with them.

Most important though is stability. Don't keep breaking what was previously fixed (like splines detaching from fixed objects as rumoured in SP4 of TANE) for the sake of a few cosmetic changes.
    TRS 2019 Coach Class (Former Customer)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by amigacooke View Post
    I'll also admit to thinking that rehashing a list of aspirations from 2013 was not necessarily a wise thing to do.
    I understand where you are coming from here but no matter how they presented it without using that image, someone would "dredge it up" and accuse them of deliberately ignoring "past promises" (they weren't promises but why let facts get in the way of a good rant?). Putting it out in the open was probably the safest option, IMHO.
    TRS19 Platinum 105100 - TRS19 SP1 (standard) 105096 - TANE SP4 105766

Not sure I can add anything that the majority of sensible people have already said. The original post clearly ignores the facts and you'd wonder why bother with Trainz if you don't like it? Is it perfect, no. Is anything? No. I'll go back to making routes and sessions and enjoy what the positive and very helpful people have to say. Toot toot

Whatever you do, good or bad, people will always have something negative to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Hilliam View Post
    That's correct. The list isn't "this is what we will do right now", it is "just some of the stuff we;d like to do".

Kickstarter raised $191k, development on TANE was well in excess of 10x that amount.

Kirlbe, it's a shame that you spilt your coffee, and a shame that pretty much every post you make bashes us over the head (or claims we're shot ourselves in the foot ).

Have you considered why these items aren't completed yet? Do you think we're happy with progress? Do you think we think users are happy with progress? We're not, and we're doing all we can to make things better than they are.

We work long hours week after week. We do all we can to make the game as good as we can. We never sit down and have a meeting and say "now, how can we annoy everyone today?".

If things are so bad, there's no need to hang around here, but since you are, I guess things aren't really quite as bad as you make out.

So, rant over, back to the post, the whole point is to get a fresh look at the things we wanted to do years ago and find out what priorities people have today. If we're to be admonished for asking our fans what they'd like to see us work on next, then I really do give up.
    I mean, you couldn't even spell my name right, and it's directly in front of you...

I don't mean to be ultra critical. I know most of this user base is well older, and I am almost 30 for crying out loud now. The reason sometimes my blood boils, is just reading the choices you guys make. It's polar opposite of how the industry works at times, even with you guys being a smaller, niche studio. Which is not crazy that you guys don't follow norms. Just when I read that e-mail, and all those items are still not in, I just thought to myself. Great! Thanks for really asking! But... You sorta have your own roadmap right there of future updates. Not just random updates either. Most of those are solid QoL updates.

I think lot of you also missed one key sentence,

Goals or not , milestones or not. You have a list in front of you.
    It's a darn good place to start IMHO.

Yes, we been over this before Tony. But the world is not full of rainbows and happy flowers. Having checks and balances of all types of people are good for the community. It sparks discussion and raises questions that may not be answered on the regular, because nobody attempts to be the 'other side' of the discussion. Almost too afraid to speak up at times.

Now you get it. If a person like me still stays, and still enjoys the product, but still voices his 2 cents on how it can still be improved. That's a solid customer. One who cares about the product, uses it, but also realize everything is not all peachy and rainbows. If there is never any push back, how do you know you are doing things wrong or right?

Remember, at the end of the day, the people on the forums will always be the 1%. The other 99% are launching the exe, playing, closing the exe and going about life with never knowing a forum existed. This applies to not just Trainz, or games in general.

It's all goodie

EDIT: Oh, and before people wonder why still here. Because it's in my blood of Trains just like rest of you. Either from your father, grandfather, hobby, etc etc. Being a IT nerd as well. Trainz fits the bill the best. The other products in our sim list? Meh. Garbage and worst devs who don't listen at all. So that's why I care , even if sometimes seems I do not about good ol Trainz. Still remembering getting my 2004 copy off eBay long long ago and had it shipped from Aussie land to states because it wasn't found here at the time. Almost 15 years ago now...
    Last edited by Kilrbe3; December 7th, 2019 at 08:48 AM.

At least we are asked what we would like. Sure the list is a few years older now but asking our thoughts on what we would mainly wish presently for in trainz is not a crime. Content can only be implemented when able to be done. I personally would love to see realtime lightning and thunder storms and animated passengers boarding etc but if need to wait as not what majority of people voted for then so be it. Sure it can be bit of a downer not seeing things implemented yet which we/I would really love to see in Trainz, but at the end of the day it is down to prioritising.

Every week we get a newsletter (which I look forward to reading), it may not please everyone with the content but at least it is a newsletter giving information, surveys, video clips, screenshots. Sometimes it is nice just to say a thankyou..so from myself - thank you!
    Last edited by ARhian7; December 7th, 2019 at 02:06 PM. Reason: typos
    "Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day."