Your latest newsletter...

Kilrbe3

I am amazed at just how N3V runs things at times.. I literally almost spit out my drink all over my monitor reading e-mail this morning. I haven't read so much nonsense in a long time.

Thank you!!! For asking what I want.

But maybe, don't shoot yourself in the foot next time and provide a image of things that were goals from 2013.. that never ever saw the light of day. Yet you want to know what we want..

Here is a idea, finish the list!

TeWgjPy.jpg

- Most awful Skybox I've ever seen in history of games since late 90s.

- No VR support, no Mantle support, and only god knows what N3V calls "Nividia extensions" . SLi? Physx? NV Works? Either way, none are in.

- No cat support

- Still no solid QOL patch or optimize patch.

- No animation improvements

- No advanced industries

- No destruction/collision effects

- Weather effects are still from tech from the late 90s

- AI is still dumber than a rock

Basically almost 17 out of 25 on that list, you still haven't completed...

Just amazed someone in the office thought it was a good idea to post that, and then shoot themselves in the foot when haven't even delivered. Goals or not , milestones or not. You have a list in front of you. Maybe complete it.

The list is tempting.. today. And it was the last time we saw it several years ago. It is a candy of hope, to prepare us for the next TRS20, or 21. And the cycle repeats. Sounds familiar?

<snip>

Basically almost 17 out of 25 on that list, you still haven't completed...

You seem to have forgotten that the purpose of the original list was not to show "what we will be doing". It was a wish list if the time and resources were available. "Trainzers" were asked to vote on which items from the list they considered to be the most important and from that vote N3V selected its implementation list. I do recall that the last item, "One month extra polish", was one of the most voted for items.

I am sure if N3V had the resources of one of the major game developers all or most of the "missing" items would now be available. Perhaps you might like to put some funds in to assist them in this task. Why did you not become a Kickstarter supporter like many others?

In fairness

Nothing they do is going to meet everyone's expectations.

1. has had improvements.
2. has had improvements if you count trains doing the hoochy choochy down the tracks.
5. Water is much better
6. is greatly improved
8. You have the random placement of objects.
10. Chris says this is never going to happen unless some 3rd party does it.
14. This is in Trainz Plus I hear.
16. This is an ongoing project.
17. Speedtrees were updated and broke all the old ones. Still ugly.
18. I assume this is the online docs.
19. GUI +HUD + Controls have changed.
20. MP is same as TS12 except for the rolling back of content. That seems to be new. Hard to believe this was ever the "most requested new feature".
23. is in TRS 19.
25. What does hiring a Polish guy for a month have to do with Trainz?

Here is my one and only request. Either fix the waybill system so it resembles the real world or remove it all together.
No where in the real world does the coal mine call up the railroad and say "We have too much coal, send a train to pick it up and take it somewhere, we don't care where."

William

1. has had improvements.

<snip>

I agree with your analysis but I am not sure that the Polish polisher would also agree.

Point 8. Auto World Building + Terrain Import Tools - TransDEM already does the Terrain Import very nicely and, IMHO, it should remain a 3rd party external tool - not everyone needs it.

Here is my one and only request. Either fix the waybill system so it resembles the real world or remove it all together.
No where in the real world does the coal mine call up the railroad and say "We have too much coal, send a train to pick it up and take it somewhere, we don't care where."

I never use the waybill system but you can easily simulate a better version now with Session Rules and Driver Commands.

25 Could mean stop releasing betas before they have been properly tested and fixed to a higher degree, which they are definitely doing, judging by those moaning about how long it's taking. ;o)

I'm just happy that the news letters confirms that N3V are hoping to get updates out for Tane & TS2019 in 2019. Great news!

It's pleasing to see that most people who have replied to this thread, where people that put their money where their mouth is and supported Kickstarter!!!

While it would be great to have a few more things on that "Kickstarter" list, my biggest frustration with Trainz at the moment is still "missing dependencies" and "faulty dependencies". Especially for Tane & TS2019. I guess over time, things will slowly improve in this area as more things get fixed and updated.

While I'm not necessarily a big fan boy of N3V, i do understand there plight, 201 things to do, with having only limited resources to do them. I can understand that they have to prioritise there workload, especially so that it keeps the bucks rolling in, so they can keep there doors open. (Hundreds, probably thousands of small business throughout the world, fail daily).

None of us here want to see N3V go down that track. (It's good to see that N3V are constantly tweaKing there business model, so they stay ahead of the eight ball)...

Happy trainzing.

Cheers, Mac...

Last edited:

1. has had improvements.
2. has had improvements if you count trains doing the hoochy choochy down the tracks.
5. Water is much better
6. is greatly improved
8. You have the random placement of objects.
10. Chris says this is never going to happen unless some 3rd party does it.
14. This is in Trainz Plus I hear.
16. This is an ongoing project.
17. Speedtrees were updated and broke all the old ones. Still ugly.
18. I assume this is the online docs.
19. GUI +HUD + Controls have changed.
20. MP is same as TS12 except for the rolling back of content. That seems to be new. Hard to believe this was ever the "most requested new feature".
23. is in TRS 19.

William

Yup much as already been covered and I agree not everything will please everyone. It's the nature of humans and their wants and needs.

I went back to the original, original list and resurrected scheduling. We need a real, built-in, scheduling system for passenger trains. A simple click here to start, click here to end, and build the time-table for all the in between stations similar to how the old MSTS activity builder used to work in between crashes.

I think the features listed were extras that could be implemented if an additional $30K was raised.. per item :eek:

I’ve been seeing content built to a very high standard lately, and it would only make sense that more tools are eventually given to add such levels of detail/realism to routes in Surveyor.

I believe physics and sound are the main thing that often gives people the idea Trainz is a “model” sim, rather than real-life. The sounds are very one-dimensional and give the impression of a boxed in, well, model room. No echo, reverb, or distance equalization (you hear a diesel engine rumble from miles away but only hear higher frequencies up close). I do some sound engineering and would note that engine sounds different in a station vs. an open field range or obviously in a tunnel.

I think the features listed were extras that could be implemented if an additional $30K was raised.. per item

That's correct. The list isn't "this is what we will do right now", it is "just some of the stuff we;d like to do".

Kickstarter raised $191k, development on TANE was well in excess of 10x that amount.

Kirlbe, it's a shame that you spilt your coffee, and a shame that pretty much every post you make bashes us over the head (or claims we're shot ourselves in the foot :)).

Have you considered why these items aren't completed yet? Do you think we're happy with progress? Do you think we think users are happy with progress? We're not, and we're doing all we can to make things better than they are.

We work long hours week after week. We do all we can to make the game as good as we can. We never sit down and have a meeting and say "now, how can we annoy everyone today?".

If things are so bad, there's no need to hang around here, but since you are, I guess things aren't really quite as bad as you make out.

So, rant over, back to the post, the whole point is to get a fresh look at the things we wanted to do years ago and find out what priorities people have today. If we're to be admonished for asking our fans what they'd like to see us work on next, then I really do give up.

That's correct. The list isn't "this is what we will do right now", it is "just some of the stuff we;d like to do".

Kickstarter raised $191k, development on TANE was well in excess of 10x that amount.

Kirlbe, it's a shame that you spilt your coffee, and a shame that pretty much every post you make bashes us over the head (or claims we're shot ourselves in the foot :)).

Have you considered why these items aren't completed yet? Do you think we're happy with progress? Do you think we think users are happy with progress? We're not, and we're doing all we can to make things better than they are.

We work long hours week after week. We do all we can to make the game as good as we can. We never sit down and have a meeting and say "now, how can we annoy everyone today?".

If things are so bad, there's no need to hang around here, but since you are, I guess things aren't really quite as bad as you make out.

So, rant over, back to the post, the whole point is to get a fresh look at the things we wanted to do years ago and find out what priorities people have today. If we're to be admonished for asking our fans what they'd like to see us work on next, then I really do give up.

I remember that very well. T:ANE and TRS19 have come a long way from where we were even a few years ago.

You say this a lot more eloquently that I could. If I could say what I was really thinking, you would have grounds to snap me with the ban hammer.

If I could say what I was really thinking, you would have grounds to snap me with the ban hammer.

I am with you on that. Unfortunately the poster has a habit of shooting himself in the foot just after he plants his foot firmly in his mouth. While we all welcome constructive criticisms (or should do) and new ideas on how to do things, comments such as ...

Here is a idea, finish the list!

Just amazed someone in the office thought it was a good idea to post that, and then shoot themselves in the foot when haven't even delivered. Goals or not , milestones or not. You have a list in front of you. Maybe complete it.

... without any attempt to look at the "facts" first indicates that there is a significant problem here, and it is not with N3V.

My opinions.

I still have a copy of UTC sitting in my bookcase alongside all my other old video games. If ever I want to know how far Trainz has come I only need to fire up my Windows XP computer (not connected to the internet) and start up UTC. We've actually got it pretty good and while it would be lovely if everything on that list was done and dusted this is the real world where the Trainz team only have so many hours in a day to work on our favourite simulator. Writing good code takes time and the more features that are added to the simulator that have to work in with what is already there the harder it gets to bug fix everything.

I know I've posted the odd critical remark myself on the forums, but seriously we've got it pretty good compared with other computer game franchises that are around in that Tony communicates with us and listens to what we have to say.

History lesson needed.

As a newcomer around here (TRS19-Early release was my first purchase) would someone kindly tell me the "story" of the Kickstarter program? I've read some Wiki pages. It sounds similar to TRS-19 Early Release perhaps. Or was it more than that? Did "supporters" support simply by buying "pre-release" versions of Tane? Thanks.

Thanks for the support folks. We've come a long long way since TANE CE which was released almost 5 years ago (wow - another anniversary next week).

Back