The GM/EMD DD40 for Union Pacific: #6936

JonMyrlennBailey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49T0_3HZ0dg

UP 6936

This model, custom built in 1969-1971 for UP, is the only such locomotive in service still and she cruises around California in modern times.

She is the world's largest d/e loco ever as far as I know and the only one with a big see-through hole in her side.

I know of no other diesel engine with as many as 4-axle trucks to boot.

She has double diesel motors on board but that's not an exclusive feature of this engine.

Think of her as a diesel-ized "Big Boy".

Last edited:
I actually have a ConCor PRR brunswick green DD40X in N scale, and in Trainz, as well as a U50C, and Gas Turbine Veranda, and a GE 8500HP Gas Turbine A-B Unit, although actually the PRR had none.

Last edited:
I actually have a ConCor PRR brunswick green DD40X in N scale, and in Trainz, as well as a U50C, and Gas Turbine Veranda, and a GE 8500HP Gas Turbine A-B Unit, although actually the PRR had none.

The big hole in the side is the exclusive DD40 feature that grabs the attention of most people, no doubt. That's what the mystique is with me. What purpose that hole serves is beyond me.

here is a long tour of a retired DD40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERNezIjd-GE

What is the "continuous train control system" function all about anyway? The ex-RR mechanic/engineer, Tom, hosting the video doesn't even know! Can the train personnel in a passenger car 9 (a conductor) take some control over the loco remotely? I know there are emergency brake levers in passenger cars.

Last edited:
I think the "hole" in between center of the 2 engine blocks is a "short cut" walkway, so engine hostlers don't have to walk around the entire locomotive to service the other side ? From that lengthily video, I now know everything I need to know about the DD40X. Equally as interesting as when Mr Rogers took us all on a tour of how they refine sugar beets into table sugar at the sugar beet mill, and the 1 hour long History Channel TV shows I watched about the "History of Glue", and the "History of Olives". I was totally amazed !

I would guess that the "continuous train control system" is a means to sync multiple units cab controls together ???

Last edited:
Back