Coal Fired Electrical Generation Power Plants

Where I live there are signs posted saying DO NOT EAT THE FISH DUE HIGH AMOUNTS OF MERCURY, located next to every pond in the city. People still eat the fish as they catch the fish right under that sign that says do not eat the fish.

The good news is coal is going away eventually and will only live on in our virtual worlds as we run polygons and pixels around on our big screen monitors. Sad part, however, heavy metals such as lead, mercury, and arsenic take decades to work their way out of the ecosystem if they can at all. Let's face it we screwed the pooch here and we'll pay for the mess for the rest of humanity.

Not looking especially good for mankind lasting beyond the end of this century though. Even if all the pollution stopped tomorrow the poisons are going to be still present in the environment for a long time to come.

Case of too little too late.
As it stands those more responsible countries efforts to reduce carbon emissions, plastic waste etc are cancelled out or worse by those countries who clearly can not be bothered, can't see that changing any time soon.
Here's a thought ;o)
I have often wondered what effect digging holes all over the planet and burning up oil and coal has on the mass of the planet and if this has any effect on the speed of rotation and orbit around the sun and if that could be a contributory factor in Global warming.
As it appears a couple of degrees warmer is going to create a global catastrophe, then surely millions of tons of the planet being consumed may also have an undesirable effect.

Time for the Human race to go where no Man has gone before and find another planet to wreck?

The pit I worked in closed in the mid 90's not enough coal to stay open
The same pit has now reopened and ripping coal out with a long wall. more up to date technology available

The government increased the cost of most drinks in glass, plastic and aluminium
There worth 10c each to return to a recycle station now
I get about $60-$120 a year on beer and soft drink bottles and cans

The pit I worked in closed in the mid 90's not enough coal to stay open
The same pit has now reopened and ripping coal out with a long wall. more up to date technology available

The government increased the cost of most drinks in glass, plastic and aluminium
There worth 10c each to return to a recycle station now
I get about $60-$120 a year on beer and soft drink bottles and cans

My pit closed in 1973 somewhat unexpectedly, I left just before it got shut down, joined the RN in January, Pit closed in June, just as well as there wasn't much future in the UK coal industry.

Back