Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Linux and Proton.

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by pcas1986 View Post
    I'll want to run Blender, Lazarus Pascal and one or more image editors. Right now I'm trying to figure out where to put it and how to install it. I could run it in VM Workstation but I have a 256GB SSD that has one or more Trainz installations that I could move onto a 1TB Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus. Maybe I could re-configure as a dual boot which is something I haven't done for a long time.

I thought I had a spare 2GB HDD then I remembered its in my old PC in a bedroom surrounded by cardboard boxes full of stuff my daughter bought back from the UK.

Maybe I'll have a look at Gambas which Hiballer just mentioned. Basic was a dirty word when I was at uni in the mid 80's as a mature age student. I was also in the (Oz) Navy at that time and wrote code for Navy systems. Small world!
    Yeah. A VM or Linux shell won't work for graphics stuff at least not yet anyway. Parallels, or whoever that is now, did have a workstation VM, but that got pushed to the Apple hardware and OSx and never made it to the x86 x64 side. This version had all the support needed for graphics and 3d processing that's not found in regular VM implementations. And yes, that SSD is a bit tiny for what you'll want to do as well.

I learned BASIC and Pascal back in the 1980's as a uni student, and a bit later Z80 and 8080 Assembler, then some C and C++. I did quite well in the classes, but my patience for it is nil, thus, I went into hardware and became a technician instead. I did take some classes in Java much, much later, and even wrote a small program in that. (HA! Java class --- pun!). Outside of that it's been IT support and hardware for me.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 105100

VB6? this may help, How To Install Visual Basic 6 (VB6) in Windows 10 - https://www.raymond.cc/blog/install-...hine-for-java/

Alternatively running XP in a VM should work, might even work in Linux using Wine if you go for a WinXP configuration.

@pcass1986. As for trying out distro's, most will install on a thumb drive for testing purposes. Back when I was doing that it involved burning CD's, of which I seem to have acquired an awful lot.
    Malc

Well, I'll be darned, Malc. That link was pure gold. I'd been trying for six months to get VB6 to install in a native Windows 10 environment. i didn't want to go with a vitrual XP environment at all. Armed with the contents of that blog entry I can get it done. I never liked VB.NET at all for some reason. Maybe it was just that I'd been using VB ever since VB2.0 for Windows 3.11 (still have the install disks for VB2/3/4). I have a lot of personal programs I can now update/upgrade and use once more.

Unfortunately, WINE isn't as sophisticated as of yet to allow VB6 to be installed. Even if you could, I'd wonder if it could create an executable from the limited amount of "system" WINE provides.

Bill
    Name: Bill (CTR1, USN, Retired 1961--1980)
    User ID: 202442
    Trainzer since: 2003
    Currently using: T:ANE (build 94808)

I saw an infomercial about a USB stick that brings a totally dead PC back to life (it must be amazing), and installs a Linix OS, over riding your PC OS. Sounds kinda fishy if you ask me for $39.95, And I am not sure how Trainz runs on Linix ?
    My apologies to all. I have decided that in these horrible current events, we all need to stick together as a Community

I'd stay a long way away from that USB stick. First off, LINUX is free -- no charge. You can install it yourself easily using an ISO burned to a DVD. And, Trainz won't run on LINUX. If I had to guess, their version of "LINUX" does a lot of phoning home with all sorts of tidbits from your personal settings and browsing habits, just to name a few.

Bill
    Name: Bill (CTR1, USN, Retired 1961--1980)
    User ID: 202442
    Trainzer since: 2003
    Currently using: T:ANE (build 94808)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MP242 View Post
    And I am not sure how Trainz runs on Linix ?
    You would have to use WINE (both the Linux Windows Emulation software and the liquid) and even then the reports (in these forums) are not good for anything but the earliest versions of Trainz - forget TANE and TRS19!
    TRS19 Platinum 105100 - TRS19 SP1 (standard) 105096 - TANE SP4 105766

Quote Originally Posted by MP242 View Post
    I saw an infomercial about a USB stick that brings a totally dead PC back to life (it must be amazing), and installs a Linix OS, over riding your PC OS. Sounds kinda fishy if you ask me for $39.95, And I am not sure how Trainz runs on Linix ?

Complete rubbish, it's a money making scam Scam to sell idiots Linux on a USB stick which you can do yourself for nothing.
    Malc

I've used Linux boot discs to get into a non functional computer more than a few times to fix problems and it cost me nothing except the cost of a blank CD to make the boot disc. That 'magic' USB stick is a rip off.
    Narcolepsy is not napping.

Blog Entries

Took me all day yesterday to get a Linux distro onto my PC within VMWare's Workstation Player (free for non commercial use). I ended up using Debian 10.2.0. Blender 2.79b works fine in Debian but so far I can't get Blender 2.81a to install. Workstation Player allows multiple Linux installations but you can only run one at a time.

I believe you can charge for distros of Linux to cover the costs of manufacture, media distribution, etc but the software is free or maybe GPL. However, you might be able to charge for some extra services. It seems a bit like the addons you can buy for Blender. The software is GPL but you pay for support which includes bug fixing, notification of new releases etc. I think that works well since it encourages developers to make a little money for their efforts.

Paul