Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lost in Space TANE

Happened to me also then crashed., upon re starting had the save option and I declined to save changes and it brought me back to original view....

Dave =)

United States of America, California, Port Hueneme

Wrong post.
    Last edited by llebrez; December 5th, 2019 at 11:01 PM.

United States of America, Pennsylvania, Johnstown

I have a few ideas that may bring surveyor back down to earth.
    1) Back up the route as CDP file. Delete and Reinstall.
    2) Merge a one baseboard route with the corrupted route. The problem with this is layer names do not match so I need some to point out how to do this safely.

Can anyone point out the pros and cons of doing either of these.....
    Still Working on Bethlehem Steel Shortlines.

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by sethmcs View Post
    I have a few ideas that may bring surveyor back down to earth.
    1) Back up the route as CDP file. Delete and Reinstall.
    2) Merge a one baseboard route with the corrupted route. The problem with this is layer names do not match so I need some to point out how to do this safely.

Can anyone point out the pros and cons of doing either of these.....
    1) Backups are a good thing no matter what. We always suggest, recommend, hint, elude to most importantly backup your data.

You'll have to reinstall the route again, oh well. To be honest, I can't see anything wrong here.

2) Merge in a blank nothing in particular blank board. This can and will fix a multitude of "things" like big holes, etc. It's weird, but it does work, sometimes. It's that very technical term "sometimes" that's the gottcha because you go through the effort and it still doesn't do it.

But..., and there's the outside chance it will work.

It's worth a try, what the heck.

For your merging issue, there's that merge box with two parts.

Upper part on the left is an overlapping route. Just like in previous versions, you need to move things around on the import so it doesn't bump. When that tab turns dark and doesn't have the red "!" on it, you can then proceed to the bottom tab.

The lower tab on the left... Open that and you'll see two sides. Left side is route layer; right side is sessions. The conflicting layers need to match.
    Highlight route and click. You'll see two routes and session. Highlight the "other" route listed, and then merge the layers.

Once done you can then merge the route.

The process "can take some time", for lack of a technical term", so sit tight as the routes merge together. This time is dependent upon how big the routes are. I've had this take 10 minutes or so and longer.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019: 98592

That sorta worked....

I merged the route and 95% was restored except there is a section of forest thats up in the air and a small section I was working on disappeared in the session layer but is OK in the route layer. At least I am back on the ground. Also my roster of drivers is all jumbled up. I guess thats because a train was deleted in the section that disappeared. Is there any way to delete the session layer that is corrupt and replace it with correct session layer from another route? Or will that just send me up in space?

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by sethmcs View Post
    That sorta worked....

I merged the route and 95% was restored except there is a section of forest thats up in the air and a small section I was working on disappeared in the session layer but is OK in the route layer. At least I am back on the ground. Also my roster of drivers is all jumbled up. I guess thats because a train was deleted in the section that disappeared. Is there any way to delete the session layer that is corrupt and replace it with correct session layer from another route? Or will that just send me up in space?
    I've reported the up in the air bug before. N3V is well aware of that and looking for a solution. Hopefully that will be found at some point soon.

To get around the floating objects:

Using the topology tool.
    1) Get the height of the ground in one place under them.
    2) Click on the ground underneath.

The assets will drop to the surface.

If you make a hole or a lump, hit CTRL-Z to undo. The objects will remain grounded but your terrain will return to its normal height. As you move along, save periodically so that in case something else decides to do worse weird things, you'll have a starting point should it crash.

For the session issue, you can remove those missing drivers and consists from the driver schedule, or reassign a new consist to them. I've done that before when deleting trains from the sessions.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019: 98592

Quote Originally Posted by JCitron View Post
    I've reported the up in the air bug before. N3V is well aware of that and looking for a solution. Hopefully that will be found at some point soon.

To get around the floating objects:

Using the topology tool.
    1) Get the height of the ground in one place under them.
    2) Click on the ground underneath.

The assets will drop to the surface.

If you make a hole or a lump, hit CTRL-Z to undo. The objects will remain grounded but your terrain will return to its normal height. As you move along, save periodically so that in case something else decides to do worse weird things, you'll have a starting point should it crash.

For the session issue, you can remove those missing drivers and consists from the driver schedule, or reassign a new consist to them. I've done that before when deleting trains from the sessions.
    In other words, fix the minor errors and be grateful I didn't lose the route I have been working on for years.

Clean up will commence tomorrow.

Thanks to all who replied. The real lesson here is if for whatever reason the zoom function goes up into space the thing to do is hit escape and do not save.