2019 With Transdem and Railmaponline

pogbellies

Hi,

I’m contemplating buying 2019 probably on Steam which has great offers currently but I would like to know a couple of things;

1) Does Transdem play nicely with Trainz 2019?
2) Is 2019 a worthwhile upgrade from T:ANE?
3) Will 2019 allow me to import S&C and The PLL content?

On a separate note I have a Transdem question, does anyone know if it is possible to import the DEM and vector info from railmaponline.com as that would be enormously useful for historic lines?

Lastly I am also considering buying Train Sim 2020 (as well as rather than instead of Trainz 2019) is it worth bothering with?

Thanks

1) Don't know anything about Train Sim 2020 so I can't help you there, but if it's anything like its legacy it's all visual effects. For that, however, I'll leave others to discuss, although it's out of scope here.
2) TransDEM plays nicely with TRS19. You export as a T:ANE route and everything works fine. There are some deep shadows so you need to adjust your lighting, but other than that it's fine.
3) S&C, if you purchased this from N3V will be downloaded automatically into TRS19 just like your other purchased outright content from N3V. The only route I know of that's not there yet is Murchison. PLL is still in progress from what I understand. I'll leave that up to others to discuss.

4) Rail Maps Online

If the route vector data is importable into Google Earth application, then it should work fine with TransDEM. TransDEM handles multiple route file formats including KMZ. From a cursory check, I don't see that capability on the site. But it sure is cool... I wish they had the eastern US where I come from.

5) TRS19 is everything that T:ANE was supposed to be and then some. Like all Trainz versions, it's got its good and bad points. The good points are:

There's more content available for that version now than ever.
Nearly everything from the past works perfectly fine. The biggest issue was Speed Trees thanks to IDV who wrote the program for them, however, this is now a mute issue because there are replacements available. Content is being repaired and uploaded to the DLS to ensure compatibility.

Pretty much what worked in TS12 and T:ANE works in TRS19 99% of the time. There are some scripting issues, but the active authors such as pguy have been updating them.

The lighting has more options, including ambient light adjustments that are not available in T:ANE.
PBR textures, Parallax, Turf-FX.

AI Improvements
Upcoming unified Driver-Surveyor interface. This is still WIP and a bit buggy but it's great seeing something in driver, jumping into surveyor and fixing it. There's no more stopping, fixing, and reloading in Driver.

Performance overall is much better, smoother, and less choppy, perhaps more refined internally.

Lots of other good stuff to mention with lots of new things down the pipe such as improved surveyor tools among them.

Bad stuff:

It's new.
The interface is a bit different
It's quirky still, but what Trainz version isn't.

1) Don't know anything about Train Sim 2020 so I can't help you there, but if it's anything like its legacy it's all visual effects. For that, however, I'll leave others to discuss, although it's out of scope here.
2) TransDEM plays nicely with TRS19. You export as a T:ANE route and everything works fine. There are some deep shadows so you need to adjust your lighting, but other than that it's fine.
3) S&C, if you purchased this from N3V will be downloaded automatically into TRS19 just like your other purchased outright content from N3V. The only route I know of that's not there yet is Murchison. PLL is still in progress from what I understand. I'll leave that up to others to discuss.

4) Rail Maps Online

If the route vector data is importable into Google Earth application, then it should work fine with TransDEM. TransDEM handles multiple route file formats including KMZ. From a cursory check, I don't see that capability on the site. But it sure is cool... I wish they had the eastern US where I come from.

5) TRS19 is everything that T:ANE was supposed to be and then some. Like all Trainz versions, it's got its good and bad points. The good points are:

There's more content available for that version now than ever.
Nearly everything from the past works perfectly fine. The biggest issue was Speed Trees thanks to IDV who wrote the program for them, however, this is now a mute issue because there are replacements available. Content is being repaired and uploaded to the DLS to ensure compatibility.

Pretty much what worked in TS12 and T:ANE works in TRS19 99% of the time. There are some scripting issues, but the active authors such as pguy have been updating them.

The lighting has more options, including ambient light adjustments that are not available in T:ANE.
PBR textures, Parallax, Turf-FX.

AI Improvements
Upcoming unified Driver-Surveyor interface. This is still WIP and a bit buggy but it's great seeing something in driver, jumping into surveyor and fixing it. There's no more stopping, fixing, and reloading in Driver.

Performance overall is much better, smoother, and less choppy, perhaps more refined internally.

Lots of other good stuff to mention with lots of new things down the pipe such as improved surveyor tools among them.

Bad stuff:

It's new.
The interface is a bit different
It's quirky still, but what Trainz version isn't.

Great response, thank you its reassuring to know that most legacy stuff will work ok.

Back