TRS19 very slow performance

lodger

New laptop computer - Dell Inspiron 17, Intel Core i5, Radeon 520 graphics, 8GB Ram. All TSR 19 performance sliders set to far left in Launcher and in game settings.... sessions run like a slideshow and mouse control hovering over buttons takes 2 seconds to respond! Terrible all round performance.
TRS 12 all working fine. What do I need to do? Is a new graphics card needed?
Thanks

TS12 uses the CPU more and the GPU less.

Your GPU has a passmark g3d score of 779 see https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php normally TS19 and TANE like a minimum score of 9,000. Middleton for laptops should run however.

Dell laptops with something like a GTX 1660 or better should be fine but it does depend on content. Desktops are generally more upgrade-able but watch the power supply.

Cheerio John

Hate to say it but just because something is new doesn't mean it is better or any good for games, on average a mobile GPU is half the performance of a desktop one.
Minimum requirement means a program will run, not that it will run well and are invariably over optomistic. Most of us are using at least 4GB GDDR 5 or higher dedicated GPUs, from the specs that Radeon only has 2GB, seems somewhat odd to to have a 2017 GPU in a "new" Inspiron laptop. The ones I've been looking at have Nvidia GPU's such as GTX1050.
TS12 would be OK as TS12 is a CPU intensive program, TANE and TRS19 are GPU intensive and hardly use the CPU compared to TS12.

Having said that, make sure Trainz is actually using the Radeon graphics and not Intel, first run of any route will be slower than normal as it hasn't yet been cached.
Also exclude TANE or TRS19 fro any AV or anti malware on access scanning that can slow things down considerably.
Also with a Laptop you may need to run games with the charger plugged in, otherwise it may be running in power saving mode.

Running the prebuild command may eliminate any delays due to caching.
that's Developer > Run TrainzUtil Command> Type prebuild in the box > the OK and go get a cup of coffee while it does it's thing, don't interrupt, it let it finish.

Also you may find the Windows 10 game bar might help, didn't need it here so got rid of it, however it may help on low spec systems by shutting down stuff not needed when gaming.

Still stuttering.......Malc, how do I check TRS19 is running on the Radeon graphics rather than the Intel one please? Also in Launcher>Developer> I can't find >Run TrainzUtil Command in any drop down box. Were do I find this command please? John
(Windows 10)

Still stuttering.......Malc, how do I check TRS19 is running on the Radeon graphics rather than the Intel one please? Also in Launcher>Developer> I can't find >Run TrainzUtil Command in any drop down box. Were do I find this command please? John
(Windows 10)

Not sure on AMD graphics however when running a game if you use GPU-Z from techpowerup.com, it's free, you can see which GPU is actually being used, it should default to the one being used if not, check the sensors tab then change the card at the bottom.

TrainzUtil? should be here:

New laptop computer - Dell Inspiron 17, Intel Core i5, Radeon 520 graphics, 8GB Ram. All TSR 19 performance sliders set to far left in Launcher and in game settings.... sessions run like a slideshow and mouse control hovering over buttons takes 2 seconds to respond! Terrible all round performance.
TRS 12 all working fine. What do I need to do? Is a new graphics card needed?
Thanks
bad specs for simming

Thank Malc. Have pre-cashed and changed default card from Intel UHD Graphics 620 to Radeon 520 - very slight improvement, I don't know if this is because of the pre-cashing or changed card.
Do you think I should stay with the Intel card or not please?
Jihn

Looking at benchmarks there is hardy any difference between the Intel and the Radeon graphics, seems a bit of a strange combination, especially from Dell! Seems no logical reason to include a discreet GPU that is no better than the builtin one. The Radeon hopefully is using discreet memory so I'd stick with that rather than the intel which will use your system memory.

Try running TRS19 Windowed and or maybe reduce the resolution, it might improve things although I'm not convinced.
Also try Vertical Sync on Half, should help a bit and disable PhysX under Performance which can cause stuttering.

Looking at benchmarks there is hardy any difference between the Intel and the Radeon graphics, seems a bit of a strange combination, especially from Dell! Seems no logical reason to include a discreet GPU that is no better than the builtin one. The Radeon hopefully is using discreet memory so I'd stick with that rather than the intel which will use your system memory.

Try running TRS19 Windowed and or maybe reduce the resolution, it might improve things although I'm not convinced.
Also try Vertical Sync on Half, should help a bit and disable PhysX under Performance which can cause stuttering.

Thank you all.....it is now clear I need a new graphics card! What card would you recommend to make Trainz 19 work smoothly please? (I will not be playing any other games). I'm assuming I would have to order one online and get my local Currys to fit it (I have a 'fix it' contract with them).
Thank you for your patience.
John

Thank you all.....it is now clear I need a new graphics card! What card would you recommend to make Trainz 19 work smoothly please? (I will not be playing any other games). I'm assuming I would have to order one online and get my local Currys to fit it (I have a 'fix it' contract with them).
Thank you for your patience.
John

The problem will be what graphics cards are available for your laptop. Most laptops have a very restricted range of perhaps one or two cards. Good GPUs generate heat and need a beefier power supply. To be honest if the laptop isn't designed to handle this from the start there isn't a solution.

Desktops are better for upgrading besides being cheaper than a laptop for the same performance but you need to do your research first about what cards can be put it and if the cooling side and power supply are good enough.

Cheerio John

Back