Sessions for K&L Trainz and Backshop locomotives

I was just thinking about this for a long time. K&L trainz and Backshop have great locomotives and it is quite rare to find some of them on sessions. I was thinking about putting these engines into sessions but I'm not good at creating sessions step by step and I always like surprises. If any one could create a session with these locomotives for DLS that would be great.

This would only be good for those who buy payware assets, to all others that have none, the route would be just another blank route, with track, and textures

Last edited:
While this is a great idea, there's an issue with it. These are payware assets from a third-party which means that the sessions will be extremely limited to only those that own those particular models, meaning the scope of the session is really narrow. Generally, with that said, sessions are broader and contain readily available assets. You can always edit any session in the Session Editor and replace a consist with another.

If you want a K&L-specific session, look for the one created for Coal Country route by Scratchy. This is a payware route available either from Jointed Rail or from N3V. This session requires you purchase the PRR D10s to haul coal on the route. There is a similar passenger session available for Scratchy's Eagle River.

Creating a session is not difficult and a lot of it is just time consuming. Before doing anything "creative" do a simple session with Drive to and Drive via track mark, Navigate to and Navigate commands will work too, to direct your AI drivers. When you get past the simple stuff like this,you can start making more complex sessions use more of the outlier commands and rules. You'll find that once this is mastered, everything else fits in between.

When creating sessions, you need to do a small bit at a time, stop, drive and test, then continue. For my very large Ozark Valley and Western route for example, I broke the route up into divisions and I used the Schedule Library to organize the driver commands into these subdivisions. Writing out the driver name, route, and destination first before adding in commands will give you an idea where you want the driver to go. In summary thinking, being organized, and planning ahead is the biggest part of session writing.

… If you want a K&L-specific session, look for the one created for Coal Country route by Scratchy. This is a payware route available either from Jointed Rail or from N3V. This session requires you purchase the PRR D10s to haul coal on the route. There is a similar passenger session available for Scratchy's Eagle River.
John, really PRR D10s?
They are class I1sa 2-10-0s otherwise known as Decapods, Decs or affectionally as Hippos by some who drove them. They rode like HE!!, where tough on the track but the Pennsy loved them and built in Altoona or by Baldwin a combined fleet of 598 to pull and shove freight over the Alleghenies.

Bite your tongue John,

Bob Pearson

PS Just kidding John but I'm fond of the Pennsy I1sa. One of the tops as far as I'm concerned.

I'd love to see more sessions for all of K&L Pennsy locos. I have most all of them. I'm not really a sessions player though. Coal Country is the only payware route I own. I really enjoy it but it was not designed for steam locos though they look great on it. It has no support facilities for them. Begs to be edited - note to self.

Last edited:
John, really PRR D10s?
They are class I1sa 2-10-0s otherwise known as Decapods, Decs or affectionally as Hippos by some who drove them. They rode like HE!!, where tough on the track but the Pennsy loved them and built in Altoona or by Baldwin a combined fleet of 598 to pull and shove freight over the Alleghenies.

Bite your tongue John,

Bob Pearson

PS Just kidding John but I'm fond of the Pennsy I1sa. One of the tops as far as I'm concerned.

I'd love to see more sessions for all of K&L Pennsy locos. I have most all of them. I'm not really a sessions player though. Coal Country is the only payware route I own. I really enjoy it but it was not designed for steam locos though they look great on it. It has no support facilities for them. Begs to be edited - note to self.

That was my confusion because I also purchased lovely a bunch of PRR locos including some D16's so I was confused. Something felt odd when I wrote what I did, but I let it go. I own only a few payware routes with Coal Country and Eagle River being my favorites. I modified both to suit my style of driving, meaning I made up my own sessions in both and modified some of the track for extra sidings and branches here and there.

Alec --

I could do one as a "special request".

It would be a "Chuck & Joe" session for one of my TRS19 layouts, using one of the K&L locomotives I have in my roster, one of these:

Shall I go ahead? Which layout? Which locomotive?

Phil

I think this is a great idea . It's not like they don't already exist in some from or another now . I would love to see more done for Coal Country . But there's more then I could post here that I would like to session made for . Always thought a package deal would make some content more interesting or used .

Matt

Does not matter philskene, any route and any engine will do. One part of the reason about my questions is that sometimes I'm not that good of setting up consists to match the era. I would also like to make up random consists for either DLS or other sites.

Any session from Philskene will be great! I don't think there was ever made a locomotive that Chuck and Joe couldn't handle. Knowing my luck, Phil will use a K&L engine that I don't have yet, and of course then I'll have to go and buy it. ;)
Win-Win.

I've got some spare time this afternoon.

How 'bout:

TRS19.
The Mann, Phrom, Laramee Railroad (1607 downloads thus far).
K&L Frisco T54 Mountain 4-8-2
Typical "Chuck & Joe" session -- a wayside freight calling at multiple industries (logs, mine, cattle, ...), general instructions from The Dispatcher, left to C & J to work out how to best achieve it, manual loading and unloading of commodities, ... .

I suspect the Frisco might be one of K&L's more popular locomotives.

Any objections? Comments?

Phil

Alec --

I could do one as a "special request".

It would be a "Chuck & Joe" session for one of my TRS19 layouts, using one of the K&L locomotives I have in my roster, one of these:

Shall I go ahead? Which layout? Which locomotive?

Phil

Riverside railroad co! Riverside railroad co! Riverside railroad co! Riverside railroad co! Riverside railroad co!

Quite possibly my favorite route of yours, and the first route I ever truly fell in love with. Man what a masterpiece. I love your routes Phil, but that one is your best work if you ask me. Not only the timelessness of it, but the potential for running long distance and short distance, the beautiful scenery, that long, snaking, deep brown river that follows the tracks, the draw bridges, the part where the track splits off into 2 mainlines that dance around each other for miles... oh the memories. From my TS12 days to my Trainz 2019 days, I never get bored of it.

OK. Looking for appropriate rolling stock. Box cars, gondolas, hoppers, tank cars, ... .

Anyone know what the AAR Reporting Mark was for the Frisco?

Edit:
Found it. It's SLSF. rgcx and others have a good selection of freight cars on the Download Station.

@ktain :hehe: Thank you for reminding me of Phil's Riverside. In specific <kuid2:69871:2029:2> RiversideElectricRailroadCo 3a which I'm thinking would be great for K&L and Pweiser PRR. ;)

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

TANE

It is quite old and which I think never got the TS12 update Phil did for his other Riverside but definitely some possibilities. :D

Edit: Doesn't look too bad in TRS19 either,

(Nice water cars hardtack!)

Last edited:
I think TPR hosted both PWeiser's PRR P5a and P5aM in their downloads section.
Unfortunately that site has been down for almost a month. Currently I get an account suspended notice when I try to access it.

We can hope but it is not looking too good for them.

I can't remember if I dl'd it some years back. I hope I did and maybe it's on a cd somewhere. Probably TS09 vintage but maybe Paul can upload it to the DLS or somewhere. He has lots of great models on TPR

Bob Pearson

Where did you get the P5?

Yes, from TPR by pweiser. The B1 is from K&L

All Paul's assets are TRS2009, he has/had 97 locomotives on TPR.

I have a suggestion for anyone contemplating creating a session for K&L trains. Steve has done a lot of excursion consists, setting up a session with all of them would be interesting :D

Last edited:
I have really enjoyed the Frisco locomotive. This is what I was talking about. I think I have some ideas for some of you who want to use K&L trainz and other steam engines from various sites in sessions.

First idea is to make sessions with only steam engines from one railroad.
Some examples include the Frisco engines, one in each session alone for starters.

Second idea is to make sessions with freeware locomotives from sites beside Subpar.

Also, I would like to say a few things to you philskene.

Your river Rivercide Railroad layout is an excellent masterpiece. I did like the layouts from before like the model railroad-themed layouts, but have none of the walls and having clear skies are more realistic and exciting.

Have you ever thought of creating another narrow gauge layout (this is only for fun but I wish the Rivercide was also narrow-gauge that is only a thought)?

But for now lets have steam sessions one engine in a session at a time starting with K&L trainz.

Also you could use other engines from other sites.

I wish you luck and keep railroading going.

Alec

Back