Looking to buy, need suggestions

AWRRBob

I would like to use U.S. locations for switching. Are such routes available, and do they come with appropriate rolling stock?
Thanks for any suggestions,
Bob Burke

Most of the routes are free and there is a wide range available. Building your own isn't difficult. US rolling stock and locos I'd start with looking at Whitepass's work but there is a good range of free stuff on the DLS which is the central repository for the free stuff.

There is payware available but it isn't necessary to purchase payware unless you want to.

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?154570-New-MLW-C630&p=1769703#post1769703

Normhart is good at picking things out.

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?153033-Some-new-stuff-by-tep91&p=1753324#post1753324

The biggest problem actually is there is so many assets more than 500,000 free ones that picking out the nice ones can be difficult at times.

For simple switching take a look at Middleton for laptops. It's UK based and designed for laptops with Intel integrated graphics but the stations are based on an RMweb design for a model railway and are designed to offer switching possibilities.

TS19 runs the widest range of assets by the way TANE isn't bad but there is a move into PBR textures which TS19 supports.

Cheerio John

Safe to say, if they didn't exist, nor would Trainz of any sort. Plenty to choose from from all over the world, for any version of Trainz. Happy railroading.

There are miles and miles long prototypical routes modeled with actual location/elevation data and there are "fantasy" and free-lanced routes that are made just for fun and then everything in between. You will find just a bit of everything and in no time you can start modeling your own dream switching location, whether real or in your mind.

As far as routes they do not actually come with rolling stock, nor locomotives, as those assets are merely Referenced/Used on an operating session, which you run them on. You usually have to download free assets, or buy pay-ware assets. In fact all assets on a route do not really actually come on a route, as all asset kuid numerals are merely referenced in the route configure file, as what is suggested to be downloaded, and used.

Once all all the suggested assets are found, located, and downloaded, all those assets show up automatically as they were referenced, and hand placed there by the route creator

It it is akin to plain bran cereal, it does not come complete, ready to eat, with milk, sugar, raisins, bowl, spoon, napkin, as all of these assets must be found, located, and placed by yourself, or where the route/session creator referenced/placed them on his original route session.

There are a tremendous amount of freeware routes, sessions, locomotives, railcar assets, available, and many people here can help you with assistance via Forum Private Message PM's, or posts on the Forum

I am trying to recall names of freeware routs/sessions that have a large amount of switching tasks, and all I can think of is a small shelf size route called the "timesaver", or "timewaster" puzzle route.

There are 10's of thousands of great freeware switching routes on the DLS https://www.auran.com/DLS/

Last edited:
Have you purchased your app yet? If so you need to register using same ID as here on forum. When you do that the version you have will show next to your userid. This shows everyone that you in fact are a registered owner and it let's all know the version of Trainz you have. Many put their system info in their sig to also display their basic system info. That makes a big difference in Trainz.

Hi Bob --

You have TRS19? You are looking for model railroads? Switching railroads in particular? And you might consider DLC as well as freeware from the Download Station? Want sessions too?

Well, I suspect I've done as many if not more layouts than any other person in the Universe.

If you are interested, do an advanced search for my write-ups in the Forums, thus:

Advanced%20Search.jpg

Tell us if these are the types of layouts you are looking for.

Phil

Hi Bob,

In Trainz terminology, The route contains everything but the rolling stock and the session contains the instructions and rolling stock. Most payware routes contain both the route and sessions. The Download Station has both but they are not tied together. So you have to search for each separately. Most route builders like Phil include the name of the route in the name of the sessions he creates so they are easy to find.

William

Hi Will --

I wish it was as you describe!~!

On the Download Station:
Many routes also include rolling stock.
Many (perhaps most) sessions don't contain instructions.
Many (perhaps most) sessions don't give the name of the required route.

Then, of course, there is the bane of Trainz -- routes or sessions that require dependencies that are neither built-in nor on the DLS, with no indication where they may be found. I appreciate that some enjoy the challenge of searching the furthermost corners of the Universe for elusive assets. But some of us do not.

It aint that hard to do things properly and some of us try hard to do so. Others, unfortunately, don't.

Phil

Last edited:
Hi Phil,

I recently bought the TMR2017 DLC for T:ANE, and I also have TRS 2019 of which I Installed the scenarios that came with the TMR 2017 DLC. I saw some of your "updated to TRS2019" videos of these TMR2017 scenarios on YT, but don´t seem to find them anywhere. I did download some other scenarios for TMR (I think there yours too) via searching your alias in TRS2019, but the updated to TRS2019 didn´t show up. Fairly new to Trainz, but I might be doing something wrong, and/or looking in the wrong place?

Thank you, and excelent work your doing sir!

Mike

Hi Phil,

I recently bought the TMR2017 DLC for T:ANE, and I also have TRS 2019 of which I Installed the scenarios that came with the TMR 2017 DLC. I saw some of your "updated to TRS2019" videos of these TMR2017 scenarios on YT, but don´t seem to find them anywhere. I did download some other scenarios for TMR (I think there yours too) via searching your alias in TRS2019, but the updated to TRS2019 didn´t show up. Fairly new to Trainz, but I might be doing something wrong, and/or looking in the wrong place?

Thank you, and excelent work your doing sir!

Mike

Mike,

In content manager, there's a filter to show what's out-of-date.

Right-click on the assets in the list, and choose show asset versions.

A new window will open up...

Look for the most recent version available for download, right-click on it, and choose download.

Hi Mike --

Two of my layouts were included in TMR17 -- The Port Zyd and The Shortz. They were subsequently released by N3V as DLC for T:ANE and TRS19. Both look 'orrible in TRS19. For example, the water looks like highly radioactive toxic sludge.

So I updated both to TRS19 standards, see here:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...Zyd-amp-Fulazturn-DLC-layout-updated-to-TRS19

and here:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...e-Shortz-amp-Kerl-DLC-layout-updated-to-TRS19

For these to work in TRS19 you do need the DLC installed. And ignore my "will obsolete the DLC". They don't so, in the ribbon menu at the bottom of the Routes screen, make sure you choose the TRS19 layouts.

In TMR the built-in sessions for these layouts were the structured type with text boxes, pop-ups, direction bubbles and scoring. I did these sessions under duress and I don't know whether they actually work in T:ANE and TRS19. In fact, I dislike these types of sessions so much I don't really care if they do or don't.

When I updated the layouts I also reworked the TRS19 sessions in my usual "Chuck & Joe" style. These reworked sessions are available on the Download Station. Search here (you may need to log on):

https://www.auran.com/DLS/

Text search = philskene
Username
Drop down menu = Session

If you scroll down the page (wow!~! -- I didn't realise I'd done so many sessions) you will find "TRS19 - The Port Zyd ... " and "TRS19 - The Shortz ... ".

OK -- now you know what you are looking for. Use the TRS19 Manage Content (opened at the very first screen when firing up TRS19) to download the sessions you want. To do this you should set the Search Filters (top left of screen) to something like Installed = False; Name = what you want to download, eg "TRS19 - The Port Zyd". Right click to download. Dependencies should download automatically. Alternatively, to see all my content set the filters to Installed = False; Author = philskene.

I have also updated The Bidye Traction that came with the Deluxe version of T:ANE to TRS19 standards. This has also been released as DLC for TRS19. You can find my write up of this if you use the process shown in my Post #9 above. You will also find my other TRS19 layouts and sessions. This includes the new "The Innter Kohn Necktion" standard and narrow gauge DLC layout.

Tell me if this helps.

Phil

Last edited:
Wow! Great advice. I liked the "Bran Cereal" comparison. Yes, I bought Trainz 2019, and ran some routes, and have begun testing laying straight track, producing realistic land forms on a practice route and watching lots of videos like Approach Medium and others. One question. I had a loco on a track (ATSF CF7, one of my favorites) and deleted it from the route. Now I can't find it in my loco list. Any way to re-instate the loco to be able to use again?
Thanks all,
AWRRBob

Sorry to be late...

Hi Bob --

You have TRS19? You are looking for model railroads? Switching railroads in particular? And you might consider DLC as well as freeware from the Download Station? Want sessions too?

Well, I suspect I've done as many if not more layouts than any other person in the Universe.

If you are interested, do an advanced search for my write-ups in the Forums, thus:

Tell us if these are the types of layouts you are looking for.

Hi Phil. Just got back to the forum after buying, downloading, and running some routes. Also have tipped my toe in the route building business, and viewing lots of videos on route building. Just checked out your links and you have some great work there! Thanks for your information; very much appreciated. I'll check out more of your write-ups and get back.
Again, thanks!
Bob

Back