Crash To Desktop (CTD)

boleyd

While editing a PBR asphalt(2) texture the program disappeared.
Restarted and reloaded the route. It was now a blank single base-board.
Just wanted to note that there remains problems of various kinds.:confused:

Part of 608 errors now in the route's file in the Content Database.

- <kuid:371377:100141> WorldList::ValidateBackingStoreFiles> missing file: mapfile_0_0.obs
- <kuid:371377:100141> WorldList::ValidateBackingStoreFiles> missing file: mapfile_1_0.obs
- <kuid:371377:100141> WorldList::ValidateBackingStoreFiles> missing file: mapfile_2_0.obs
- <kuid:371377:100141> WorldList::ValidateBackingStoreFiles> missing file: mapfile_3_0.obs
- <kuid:371377:100141> WorldList::ValidateBackingStoreFiles> missing file: mapfile_4_0.obs
- <kuid:371377:100141> WorldList::ValidateBackingStoreFiles> missing file: mapfile_-1_0.obs
- <kuid:371377:100141> WorldList::ValidateBackingStoreFiles> missing file: mapfile_0_1.obs
- <kuid:371377:100141> WorldList::ValidateBackingStoreFiles> missing file: mapfile_1_1.obs
- <kuid:371377:100141> WorldList::ValidateBackingStoreFiles> missing file: mapfile_2_1.obs
- <kuid:371377:100141> WorldList::ValidateBackingStoreFiles> missing file: mapfile_3_1.obs

Restarted and did a database rebuild (simple one). Restarted and route shows as a black picture in the main menu.
Partial result from repair:
; <NULL> Scanning for duplicate asset files
; <NULL> Scanning for deleted asset files
; <NULL> Scanning for added asset files
! <NULL> Failed to download precached data for package 'sc083' at build '104480'
! <NULL> Failed to download precached data for package 'sc264' at build '104480'
! <NULL> Failed to download precached data for package 'sc025' at build '104480'
! <NULL> Failed to download precached data for package 'sc118' at build '104480'
! <NULL> Failed to download precached data for package 'sc264p' at build '104480'
! <NULL> Failed to download precached data for package 'sc083p' at build '104480'
! <NULL> Failed to download precached data for package 'sc025d' at build '104480'

Restarted again and despite a blank picture on the main menu I continued to start. Well, the route appeared, or at least a small segment which was perfect. Could not find any other elements of the route.

Last edited:
While editing a PBR asphalt(2) texture the program disappeared.
Restarted and reloaded the route. It was now a blank single base-board.
Just wanted to note that there remains problems of various kinds.:confused:

Part of 608 errors now in the route's file in the Content Database.

- <kuid:371377:100141> WorldList::ValidateBackingStoreFiles> missing file: mapfile_0_0.obs
- <kuid:371377:100141> WorldList::ValidateBackingStoreFiles> missing file: mapfile_1_0.obs
- <kuid:371377:100141> WorldList::ValidateBackingStoreFiles> missing file: mapfile_2_0.obs
- <kuid:371377:100141> WorldList::ValidateBackingStoreFiles> missing file: mapfile_3_0.obs
- <kuid:371377:100141> WorldList::ValidateBackingStoreFiles> missing file: mapfile_4_0.obs
- <kuid:371377:100141> WorldList::ValidateBackingStoreFiles> missing file: mapfile_-1_0.obs
- <kuid:371377:100141> WorldList::ValidateBackingStoreFiles> missing file: mapfile_0_1.obs
- <kuid:371377:100141> WorldList::ValidateBackingStoreFiles> missing file: mapfile_1_1.obs
- <kuid:371377:100141> WorldList::ValidateBackingStoreFiles> missing file: mapfile_2_1.obs
- <kuid:371377:100141> WorldList::ValidateBackingStoreFiles> missing file: mapfile_3_1.obs

Restarted and did a database rebuild (simple one). Restarted and route shows as a black picture in the main menu.
! <NULL> Failed to download precached data for package 'sc083' at build '104480'
! <NULL> Failed to download precached data for package 'sc264' at build '104480'
! <NULL> Failed to download precached data for package 'sc025' at build '104480'
! <NULL> Failed to download precached data for package 'sc118' at build '104480'
! <NULL> Failed to download precached data for package 'sc264p' at build '104480'
! <NULL> Failed to download precached data for package 'sc083p' at build '104480'
! <NULL> Failed to download precached data for package 'sc025d' at build '104480'

Restarted again and despite a blank picture on the main menu I continued to start. Well, the route appeared, or at least a small segment which was perfect. Could not find any other elements of the route.

Did you get an assertion error before the crash?

I had one but didn't screen capture the error before the CTD.

This part can be ignored:

Finally gave up and reverted to a CDP I had saved. It was only a few days old so not much lost. Just the usual missing textures otherwise appears to be intact. Running a session that looks good. Who knows what causes some of this stuff. So much time wasted with problem solving.

NO ASSERTION ERROR....

Last edited:
That is always the risk when you run a beta version of any software.

N3V have always advised beta testers not to start new projects with a beta. The statement "So much time wasted with problem solving" indicates, to me at least, that you should not be using a beta version - because testing, troubleshooting and "time wasting" is what beta testing is all about.

I have the latest TRS19 SP1 beta as well as the last non-beta TRS19 build on my system and regularly switch between both. When I create something in the beta and it works I copy it to the non-beta and test it there as well. If it works in both I save it as a CDP and continue the process. If it does not work in both (so far this has not happened) then I have a backup copy of the last fully working CDP to fall back on.

I used the Beta in the hope that some issues were fixed. I agree it was a stupid move, as was my removing the working version ( crowded SS). However, I had a problem and reported it in good faith. I complained about the wasted time and that appears to be something to be socially avoided. I am stuck in the Beta, but the negative events I encounter in the Beta shall not receive any remarks, messages, or reports.

The program can function in this version with sufficient reliability to be useful for my limited purposes. It is with eager anticipation I await the final version.

I sympathise, boleyd, and I have also been tempted (and burnt) by the "dark side" of Trainz beta testing. But do not give up reporting any problems you have with the beta, both in the forums and through the Bug Reporting system.

With a few exceptions (TANE SP1 being one if I remember correctly) I have always found that the beta was an improvement over the previous retail release and that while some things were fixed, often a few more things were broken at least until the next beta, where the cycle continued. That is the "joy of beta".

<kuid:371377:100141> WorldList::ValidateBackingStoreFiles> missing file: mapfile_0_0.obs

This means that the data is missing for the ground files, which explains why you don't see anything on loading and only have one baseboard. (Since there is no data in the file for Trainz to refer to).

Have you tried restoring a backup?
https://support.trainzportal.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/97/0/reinstalling-or-restoring-a-backup-version-of-your-content

As John said, you can ignore messages about missing precache donwloads - this is expected during a beta and simply means that the first load of a route will be slower while the precache data is built on the fly.

One problem is that I have had several CTDs while investigating my signaling issues. They occur at random times and at random points in the route, or a loading process. There is no pattern. Right now I simply ignore them and restart. A few days go by and then one or two more CTDs. Since I am the only one having a high instance of CTDs, and signaling issues, I ignore the CTDs and focus on signaling.

The signaling problem is caused by the next junction, after the signaled junction, not properly set. So the AI for the observed signal looks ahead one signal to verify it is ok to go green, in this case it is not. So far reworking track to straighten it around signals and switches may have some relationship. If the track at the throat of a switch is curved at the switch it may cause an issue. It could be something as subtle as only odd numbers are correctly processed by the signal, the train is approaching. This will cause a red hold until the next switch is corrected.

So, the only stable error info is that the switch after the delaying RED signal is always set wrong and the AI takes some time to fix it.

I have always wondered if there was some code that deliberately, improperly preset the "next signal" so that there was a "simulation" of other traffic/activity on a route. In the very early days running multiple trains may have been a real pain. Randomly pausing a train makes the customer believe there is other activity on the tracks when there is only one train.

Last edited:
Back