Nvidia Graphic Cards: New feature: Image Sharpening

This was quite impressive... The good old 'crispy' look is back.
SYsIyb.jpg

Groundcover...

PYZOQc.jpg

pLiUhx.jpg

Only applied the Nvidia image sharpness, set to 100%. It looks even better on screen than on the screenshots here.

After looking on some samples I see that the billboard stuff looks even better than before. These conifer trees where made out of a catalogue...:eek: by by screensaving the images.

Thumbs up for this feature Nvidia;)

Jan

well it kinda works on my card i guess, how ever trainz 2012 will not run/load if i have the sharping turned on, trainz 2009 works, and trainz 2019, however could not tell a differnce with it turned on or off.

It adds a little more sharpness to the scenery.

I have played with one of the routes in TRS 19 by replacing old scenery with the mesh replacement set by Harold: Before replacement
De8wCp.jpg

Same tree used all over...

After, with Harold's tree set:
Qgv33U.jpg

Screenshot #2

08CfSI.jpg

Random scenery from Harold's tree set (updated from earlier versions). All trees have got the 'normal fix' to nearly eliminate the edgy billboard effect as seen on the grass/ground cover (which do not have this fix).

I have used the 'add random scenery' tool to plant these trees. They have the 'randon size' feature as well so that every tree planted has slightly different size to create a less uniform overall look.

The NVIDIA sharpen effect does not show up so good in the screenshot but on my PC it's more 'crispy'.

Update: It look more like this (but slightly better ingame):
SUUUXr.jpg

Jan

Last edited:
I am running 2560x1440 with an RTX-2080 and to be frank, I am not noticing any signifacant increase in sharpness, the bottom pic is with a setting of 90 and the leaves seem to be a bit more in focus but not a huge difference and again that is at 90...

Desktop-Screenshot-2019-12-03-23-18-32-88.jpg

S2.png

Without:

Last edited:
You don’t see it on the screenshots but ingame. You have to play with the settings.

I’m on a RTX 2080 too and the difference is not big but adds a little more
crispy look that’s all.

Jan

Just installed the update. I have a GTX1070. In TRS2019 I think things do look a little crisper. I'm not sure if its my imagination, but there also seem to be a little less jerkiness in a couple of spots on my route where this has been an issue.

I second the jerkiness. Can't explain why, but it runs smoother than before. I thought that soft stuttering was a "function" of the program, but for what I see it has something to do with graphics. Anyhow this is a substantial improvement from all angles. For free.

Very noticeable improvement on short TurfFX grass and Speedtree leaves and seems to be an improvement on many other assets. Checked with GTX1080TI, GTX1060 and GTX980TI (Different PCs).

On your desktop screen, right click anyehere and click on Nvidia Control Panel.....

NVidia-Sharpness-settings.jpg

What I have found though is that when using Paint.net to make the above image there were some wierd things happening around the image I was editing!

Just got here so maybe this has been answered already.

Change the Image Sharpening for individual programs, not globally. Avoids problems like you're having with Paint.

I have noticed that the new option tends to make the light corona brighter on some older semaphore signal models as well as making the corona overwhelm the spectacle frame in that same way the TS2019 tends to do.

Just a word of warning. I've been using the new feature in Trainz and my GTX 960 has just died. True enough it was an older graphic card and it had done a lot of hours so possibly it might have been on the way out anyway, but I thought I'd better give a warning to any body who is using an older generation graphics card that the new sharpness feature might not be wise option for them.
Fortunately I do have a brand new replacement to hand that I'd purchased for another project, but others might not be so lucky.

Just a word of warning. I've been using the new feature in Trainz and my GTX 960 has just died. True enough it was an older graphic card and it had done a lot of hours so possibly it might have been on the way out anyway, but I thought I'd better give a warning to any body who is using an older generation graphics card that the new sharpness feature might not be wise option for them.
Fortunately I do have a brand new replacement to hand that I'd purchased for another project, but others might not be so lucky.

Thank you for the heads up. That's probably due to the extra work on the GPU and Trainz its self pushing the hardware as it always does. I agree that's not a good thing for those caught off guard. You were lucky.

If that GTX960 is anything like my now retired GTX970 it runs rather hot to start with, one of the fans actually sized due to the heat seizing the bearing, My 980TI is the same, gets rather hot I always had have to use afterburner to ramp up the fan speed. The 10XX series cards seem to run very much cooler, never needed to mess with fan speeds on the 1060 or 1080TI. Enabling the Image sharpening doesn't seem to have made any difference here to GPU temperature though, that might be down to the drivers being better optimized for Win10 though, given that Win7 will be officially "dead" very shortly.

The replacement will be a GTX 1050TI with twice as much RAM that I picked up at a nice price when one of the on-line computer stores here was having a sale, - so that should be an improvement over the now dead and departed former card. I had a feeling that the cooling fan bearings might be starting to run rough and was going to look at them next time I had the computer case open for routine cleaning. Temperatures had seemed to be reasonable though so I hadn't rushed into doing anything about it.

One small benefit of the disaster is that I'm discovering how nice my Dell notebook is to use to post on the forum. It might be getting a bit more use from now on.

Back