Nvidia Graphic Cards: New feature: Image Sharpening

One of Malc's ground textures in TS2012 with the latest video driver. I can honestly tell you it did not look like that before I upgraded to the latest Nvidia driver and switched 'sharpen' on.

1z1ujlG.jpg

Interesting. Are you talking about a black-line rectangle with small, solid rectangles in each corner? If so, I had the same thing happen yesterday while editing an image in Photoshop and some time after I had enabled nVidia image sharpening for the first time.

I'm not sure what triggered it or how I made it go away (probably just closed the program and re-started).

This is what I see, I draw a simlpe straight line, when moving the mouse out of the canvas area, all sorts of weird things happen, reminds me of a 1960's psychedelic experience, only in B & W.

The shapes alter as I move the mouse around :eek:

Weird%21.jpg

It does not happen with sharpening set to off.

I am using a GTX 1660 ti with an i7 8700 plus 16gb of system ram.

Under image sharpening there is an option to check "GPU Scaling". Should this be checked or unchecked. What does this option do? I am using native mode for my monitor.

Interesting, first screenie before update, second screenie after update and with sharpening on at default settings. Both in TANE.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

I'm not sure I'm seeing any difference?

In the Beta I saw little if any positive sharpening of an already sharp image. However, when I tried the sharpening at maximum settings the image showed evidence of noise on the edges of the PBR gravel Backing down to 50% made that ok. Really saw no reason for it in Beta. No impact on FPS but graphics card had higher usage.

This is what I see, I draw a simlpe straight line, when moving the mouse out of the canvas area, all sorts of weird things happen, reminds me of a 1960's psychedelic experience, only in B & W.

The shapes alter as I move the mouse around :eek:

(Picture snipped)

It does not happen with sharpening set to off.

I am using a GTX 1660 ti with an i7 8700 plus 16gb of system ram.

It messes up Paint.NET as well with crawly scale like effects that work their way slowly across the page.

As Clam says it's most probably best to just set it active for Trainz only.

In TS2012 the new sharpening effect gave new life to the older legacy buildings on my layout that have low resolution textures and made them look a lot better.

In the Beta I saw little if any positive sharpening of an already sharp image. However, when I tried the sharpening at maximum settings the image showed evidence of noise on the edges of the PBR gravel Backing down to 50% made that ok. Really saw no reason for it in Beta. No impact on FPS but graphics card had higher usage.

Yes I noticed that my GTX 960 graphics card was running a bit warmer than usual.

I would suggest probably only set up specifically for games such as Trainz rather than global.

That's what I did. It's a waste for browsing or email.

I did have that quirky thing occur like Graham shows with Paint.net, but that only occurred when I had the Open Shell loaded. After I uninstalled Open Shell, that problem went away.

Glad I saw this here, Slipped through the cracks to me on other outlets!

Outstanding results with Trainz! Really made a true improvement, even with 8xAA on and all Ultra'd out on 2070 Super. Since its just like old days of reshade, and just sharpen filter, there is no performance hit. Haven't touched a ReShade in ages. Nice to see NV finally make it into driver level now with GFE and NVCP.

Evening all,

As I opened to read about your NVIDIA update, and I popped open my NVIDIA control panel to see what driver was installed, and this version showed up for upgrade driver, how ironic.......:hehe:

Thank you for great info on this particular driver,,,,,,I won't be able to go 100% on Laptop, it runs too hot, found that out the hard way a few months ago, almost burned up my MOB because the air cooler can't keep up with the heat output from said Video card......:eek:

But it will make a difference at I figure 50-70% max setting......:cool:

Wow! What a difference! The neatest thing that I noticed was that trees do not appear to keep popping into better resolution as you get closer to them: they look pretty good even at a good distance away! Great tip! Thank you!

I would suggest probably only set up specifically for games such as Trainz rather than global.

This is a valuable tip and I'm following your advice on this one.

Do you know what "Ignore film grain" means, and what setting it should be on? I'm leaving it at the default value 0.17 (17%) until I know what I'm doing.

This is a valuable tip and I'm following your advice on this one.

Do you know what "Ignore film grain" means, and what setting it should be on? I'm leaving it at the default value 0.17 (17%) until I know what I'm doing.

I'm thinking it's related to noise in video and photos maybe?

My only concern with this new feature is that it made my GTX 960 graphics card run hotter. The visual effects are certainly nice, but it's our Summer at the moment so more heat inside my computer's case isn't something that I want.

Back