Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia Graphic Cards: New feature: Image Sharpening

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by stouthm View Post
    I'm new to the control panel. What am I looking for?
    Look on the 3D settings panel. Not the one using the presets. The other one where you can turn various settings on and off and look for Image sharpening.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 105100

The 50% setting certainly made TS2012 look better and my graphics card isn't exactly what you would call the latest thing.
    Narcolepsy is not napping.

70% didn't seem to do much on my system with TANE. Perhaps I need to do a few 'before and after' screenshots to really compare...

LATER EDIT: ok, after a closer look, I can see there is a difference. 100% is too harsh, but 70% seems to be optimum for TANE on my system. Normal-mapped objects show a lot more fine detail, which is great.
    Last edited by Dinorius_Redundicus; December 1st, 2019 at 06:48 PM.
    T:ANE SP3 build 94829 and TRS2019 SP1 build 105096
    Win 10, i7 5820K, 3.3 GHz, 32GB ram, GTX 980Ti, 2x512GB SSD

Quote Originally Posted by stouthm View Post
    I'm new to the control panel. What am I looking for?

On your desktop screen, right click anyehere and click on Nvidia Control Panel.....

What I have found though is that when using Paint.net to make the above image there were some wierd things happening around the image I was editing!
    Graham,

A member of TCWW

Quote Originally Posted by euromodeller View Post
    .. wierd things happening around the image I was editing!
    Interesting. Are you talking about a black-line rectangle with small, solid rectangles in each corner? If so, I had the same thing happen yesterday while editing an image in Photoshop and some time after I had enabled nVidia image sharpening for the first time.

I'm not sure what triggered it or how I made it go away (probably just closed the program and re-started).
    T:ANE SP3 build 94829 and TRS2019 SP1 build 105096
    Win 10, i7 5820K, 3.3 GHz, 32GB ram, GTX 980Ti, 2x512GB SSD

One of Malc's ground textures in TS2012 with the latest video driver. I can honestly tell you it did not look like that before I upgraded to the latest Nvidia driver and switched 'sharpen' on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinorius_Redundicus View Post
    Interesting. Are you talking about a black-line rectangle with small, solid rectangles in each corner? If so, I had the same thing happen yesterday while editing an image in Photoshop and some time after I had enabled nVidia image sharpening for the first time.

I'm not sure what triggered it or how I made it go away (probably just closed the program and re-started).

This is what I see, I draw a simlpe straight line, when moving the mouse out of the canvas area, all sorts of weird things happen, reminds me of a 1960's psychedelic experience, only in B & W.

The shapes alter as I move the mouse around

It does not happen with sharpening set to off.

I am using a GTX 1660 ti with an i7 8700 plus 16gb of system ram.
    Graham,

A member of TCWW

[QUOTE=Swordfish;1780390]Nvidia has a new feature in its new driver 441.41 for at least the latest two generations of graphic cards:
    Image sharpening (https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...-ready-driver/ ; you have to scroll down to the middle of the page)

Nice tip, thank you, works like a charm for me!

Thank you John. I'll give it a try.
    pop pop

I would suggest probably only set up specifically for games such as Trainz rather than global.
    Malc

Under image sharpening there is an option to check "GPU Scaling". Should this be checked or unchecked. What does this option do? I am using native mode for my monitor.

Interesting, first screenie before update, second screenie after update and with sharpening on at default settings. Both in TANE.

I'm not sure I'm seeing any difference?
    Dear Kentucky,
    Thank you for sending us all your intelligent women.
    With Love,
    California.

United States of America, Pennsylvania, Murrysville

In the Beta I saw little if any positive sharpening of an already sharp image. However, when I tried the sharpening at maximum settings the image showed evidence of noise on the edges of the PBR gravel Backing down to 50% made that ok. Really saw no reason for it in Beta. No impact on FPS but graphics card had higher usage.
    Dick near Pittsburgh, Pa. i5-2500K 4.3ghz, 8gb memory, GTX1060 4gb video card

Quote Originally Posted by euromodeller View Post
    This is what I see, I draw a simlpe straight line, when moving the mouse out of the canvas area, all sorts of weird things happen, reminds me of a 1960's psychedelic experience, only in B & W.

The shapes alter as I move the mouse around

(Picture snipped)

It does not happen with sharpening set to off.

I am using a GTX 1660 ti with an i7 8700 plus 16gb of system ram.
    It messes up Paint.NET as well with crawly scale like effects that work their way slowly across the page.

As Clam says it's most probably best to just set it active for Trainz only.

In TS2012 the new sharpening effect gave new life to the older legacy buildings on my layout that have low resolution textures and made them look a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by boleyd View Post
    In the Beta I saw little if any positive sharpening of an already sharp image. However, when I tried the sharpening at maximum settings the image showed evidence of noise on the edges of the PBR gravel Backing down to 50% made that ok. Really saw no reason for it in Beta. No impact on FPS but graphics card had higher usage.
    Yes I noticed that my GTX 960 graphics card was running a bit warmer than usual.