Nvidia Graphic Cards: New feature: Image Sharpening

Swordfish

Nvidia has a new feature in its new driver 441.41 for at least the latest two generations of graphic cards:
Image sharpening (https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/halo-reach-game-ready-driver/ ; you have to scroll down to the middle of the page)

The new feature is very impressing in TRS 2019, build 104479 (Trainz Plus Beta). T:ANE I have not yet tested.

Sharp textures, less flickering, no lessened performance.

My specs:
Program on SSD, content on HD
2xGeforce GTX 1080 (SLI, SFR) at 1920x1080 @ 144Hz
64 GB RAM
Intel i7-7700K CPU @ 4,2 GHz

Regards
Swordfish

Last edited:
Thank You Swordfish! I missed this after upgrading to Nvidia 441.41.

Using build 104479 (Trainz Plus Beta), everything maxed.
Asus Strix GTX1080Ti at 2560x1440 @ 144Hz.

Your comments are accurate - this is the BEST video quality I've EVER seen out of Trainz.

Regards, Ken

I got the notification that an Nvidia update was ready to be installed and I dismissed it. I guess now I'll have to try to find it.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm excited to see what changes this brings not only to Trainz, but to other games.

Matt

I got the notification that an Nvidia update was ready to be installed and I dismissed it. I guess now I'll have to try to find it.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm excited to see what changes this brings not only to Trainz, but to other games.

Matt
Just go to nvidia <dot> com. should be a cake walk to find it.

Right click the desktop and open nVidia control panel to use it. What values are you folks using? It seems to work well at 70% for me, but I am slowly raising it to 100 to see what effect it has.
Graeme

@swordfish,

wow absolutely amazing i tested 70% and jaw dropping good.
I had the driver installed few days ago but not noticed the new option.
Usually i check new stuff but this time was busy and not checked.

thanks for sharing

Roy:mop:

- disregard, I was looking at the wrong setting and making a fool of myself. -

Matt

Last edited:
What more sharpening!!??

Trainz 2019 is already oversharpened, plus my monitor has sharpening, now the GPU.

I'll have to try it!!

Chris.

The 50% setting certainly made TS2012 look better and my graphics card isn't exactly what you would call the latest thing.

70% didn't seem to do much on my system with TANE. Perhaps I need to do a few 'before and after' screenshots to really compare...

LATER EDIT: ok, after a closer look, I can see there is a difference. 100% is too harsh, but 70% seems to be optimum for TANE on my system. Normal-mapped objects show a lot more fine detail, which is great.

Last edited:
I'm new to the control panel. What am I looking for?

On your desktop screen, right click anyehere and click on Nvidia Control Panel.....

NVidia-Sharpness-settings.jpg

What I have found though is that when using Paint.net to make the above image there were some wierd things happening around the image I was editing!

.. wierd things happening around the image I was editing!

Interesting. Are you talking about a black-line rectangle with small, solid rectangles in each corner? If so, I had the same thing happen yesterday while editing an image in Photoshop and some time after I had enabled nVidia image sharpening for the first time.

I'm not sure what triggered it or how I made it go away (probably just closed the program and re-started).

Back