How would my PC handle TRS2019?

alexl102

Learning... slowly!
When 2019 was first announced, the spec requirements given made me think it was totally out of reach without significant upgrades, which simply aren't an option at the moment.
However, looking at the minimum spec requirements, it seems I may have been wrong.

My PC is as follows:
Win 10 64-bit
Intel i7-7500 @ 2.7GHZ (4 CPUs)
8GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX950M 4GB Graphics card

I'm not interested in upgrading if that's only the bare minimum required spec - can anyone tell me how you'd expect it to run with this spec?

Thanks!

My previous PC had less capability for the CPU and GPU but did have 16GB RAM. I ran it with some of the settings turned down such as shadows that I don't much care about. It worked OK for TS19.

If you can run TANE you can probably run TS19 and get similar performance with the sliders set to a similar sort of level (that's my experience on a similar spec PC but with 16 GB RAM and a slightly older graphics card). With the regional versions of TS19 currently on sale at a little over £20 now is the time to try it!

Hi,
I'm running TS19 on an i5 -4760 @ 3.4GHz, with an nVidia GTX 770 GPU.

I also have 16Mb RAM.

Your set up will run TS 19 - though you may have to reduce the draw distance and shadows.

One thing to be aware about is the GPU temperatures... TANE and TS 19 are quite hard on the GPU. I have dual auto controlled fans on the GPU, although the temperature stays below 70C, there are times it sound like a jet engine before take off!
You may benefit from additional RAM, but you should be able to run TS19 medium to high settings.

Colin

Like others have said, if you can run T:ANE on that hardware loadout, TRS19 should be a piece of cake, but you will need to lower your graphics settings.

Matt

Guess what ? This ol' 06 Dinosaur just bought TS19

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-C5DU-TOwOSQ/UnwEUuS1YUI/AAAAAAAACOM/hoFvO4o6Vm4/s1600/6a0.jpg

My HP 450-a120 desktop PC specs are 4GB RAM ... lol (Lots Of Luck)

Same here! I've been away from Trainz for a long time... 13 years now, so I'm hoping this return will be as much fun as TRS2006 was back then!

My specs are:
ASUS P8P67 EVO motherboard
Intel Core i5 2500K (Sandy Bridge quad core) running at non-overclocked 3.30GHz clock speed
Patriot & Kingston 16GB DDR3 RAM (CL 9-11-9-27)
nVidia Strix GeForce GTX-970

Running pretty well on 'HIGH' setting out of the box, so far. Have had two CTDs (with nothing showing in the Windows Event Viewer), but I'm reckoning there'll be a separate log somewhere, and/or I'll probably be better off tuning one of the graphics settings down a tiny bit. I did fully intend to push this to see what was stable, so I'm not complaining.

FWIW, it's my second attempt with TRS2019 now. I tried back in January, but the integration with Steam was so sketchy, I ended up getting a refund before the time ran out. I took a punt again this week, hoping that the content glitches were ironed out, and indeed they are, so I'm happy so far.

@Alexl102, I think you'll be fine. With slightly less RAM and a less-beefy nVidia card than me, you might have to wind down the graphics just a wee bit (there are two default settings lower than mine, and many individual tweaks that can be made aside from those). CPU wise, you're beefier but slower than me, and that might matter (see https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-2500K-vs-Intel-i7-7500U/804vs2863 for a comparison) - but again, I think you'll find a performance setting that is passable and provides a good experience.

Gotta say, at these current sale prices, and especially if you bought via Steam where a refund is possible, it's a no-brainer to 'suck it and see'. Worst case, if it's no good for your current machine, you can do what I did... get a refund, and (in your case) buy again later when you've beefed up your rig, maybe?

Hope this helps!

I am seriously thinking of replacing my 12 y/o: HP Pavilion, AMD Athlon 5600, M8100N Desktop PC, 64bit, 8GB RAM, GT430 video card, 300Watt LiteOff® PS

What do you think of these specs ?

New Dell G5 Gaming Desktop Inspiron 5090
Processor 9th Gen Intel® Core™ i7 9700 (8-Core, 12MB Cache, up to 4.7GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)
Operating System Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, English
Video Card NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2070 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
Memory 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2666MHz; up to 64GB (additional memory sold separately)
Hard Drive 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)
Chassis Options 460W, Chassis with blue LED lighting accent
$1,779.99
New Dell G5 Gaming Desktop Price Includes $180 Instant Discount - $180.00
Free Shipping
Tax $96.00
Item Total:$1,696
Todays Special price: $1,662.07

I am seriously thinking of replacing my 12 y/o: HP Pavilion, AMD Athlon 5600, M8100N Desktop PC, 64bit, 8GB RAM, GT430 video card, 300Watt LiteOff® PS

What do you think of these specs ?

New Dell G5 Gaming Desktop Inspiron 5090
Processor 9th Gen Intel® Core™ i7 9700 (8-Core, 12MB Cache, up to 4.7GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)
Operating System Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, English
Video Card NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2070 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
Memory 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2666MHz; up to 64GB (additional memory sold separately)
Hard Drive 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)
Chassis Options 460W, Chassis with blue LED lighting accent
$1,779.99
New Dell G5 Gaming Desktop Price Includes $180 Instant Discount - $180.00
Free Shipping
Tax $96.00
Item Total:$1,696
Todays Special price: $1,662.07

That should rock! TBH, I would've replaced anything "HP Pavilion"-esque a lot earlier than 12 years old, but if it's worked for you, great. Normally I wouldn't touch HP with a bargepole.

Dell, however, are a different story. Of the 'off-the-shelf' makers, they are probably my favourite (but tbh, I usually scratch-build my own, when/if I have time/money).

The system you've specced should see you good for at least another 5-8 years, maybe another 10 or 12, perhaps? No way of knowing for sure, of course.

My only change, would be to get the i7 9700K, rather than the vanilla 9700... it has more overclocking scope in the future if needed, and it'll run faster in any event, even at 'normal' clocks. See this: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i7-9700K-vs-Intel-i7-9700/3335vs3477 - it's also cheaper, and on some Black Friday deals around the place at the moment (various adverts popped up while I was searching for it, tbh!)

Much like my (aging) i5-2500K; it may be an 8 year old CPU, and a nominally 'smaller' i5 at that, compared to the i7s, but it still ranks in the top 25% of gaming CPUs, after all this time.

Hope this helps.

Thing is, my 12 y/o: HP Pavilion, AMD Athlon 5600, M8100N Desktop PC, 64bit, 8GB RAM, GT430 video card, 300Watt LiteOff® PS, still works great, and gives 9 - 27 FPS in TRS2006, TS12, and T:ANE, must hook it up and test TS19 on it, lol

On EBay I have seen the same model for $46 to $95, lol x2 lol

Last edited:
Back