Ready to Set Walls

Jayco-man

Ok I'm doing a N scale layout. I would like to place the walls around my layout, once I set the wall I'm not sure where to set my vertex height at, so if someone could give me an idea, or at least where to start at and then I can adjust from there. After that I guess Ill need to do the dig hole for the floor, so do I use the same vertex height, or different? Thanks for any help, hope this is the right place to post.

Yes, that is my method too. If you then place table or cupboards (I made some and euromodeller has too) then adjust these so that they rest on the floor. If you want models or coffee mugs on the table, place them as normal at baseboard and lower to suit. But remember that a floor at -60 to -70 is for HO and would be considerably lower for an N gauge simulation for the model baseboard to be at the right level - unless you want to look down on it. Any other artefacts such as a table made for OO or HO would look wrong, too.
Ray

QOXr46.jpg
Then what would be a place to start at for N scale, what would considerably lower be? I thank the ones I have or by euromodeller the newer ones he just made I thank. Ok set at -100 what so you think? The table skirt doesn't go all the way to the floor.

Last edited:
Floor for N scale. Let's assume N is half of OO/HO, then to have a baseboard at the same height above floor level would need a setting of twice as much ie. -70 x 2 which is -140.
It depends on how much above the floor you want the baseboard. I work to the assumption that 1 inch in 1:72 scale is near enough 2m in Trainz - a compromise but it looks right. Others may, and probably will. disagree. I have done a few experiments with simulating a British N scale layout in Trainz.
Ray

Jayco-man: you might like to look at my web site which has a few pages on Virtual Model Railways. All opinions expressed are mine and there is no intention to suggest that they are the best! [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://raystrainz.wordpress.com/planning/[/FONT]
Ray

Jay --

Can I assume you have watched this video? I suspect it's the starting point for most of us who have done or are doing model layouts:

As for walls, floor heights and dig holes, perhaps disassemble one of two of the layouts I have on the DLS. You will see that in some the floor is dig holes + floor spline, in others it is terra-forming + fascia.

Phil

Back