Street lights query

rjhowie

In getting back to my long delayed present railway build across the Irish Sea I am only passingly niggled by putting in individual street lights near a station. Although a long Trainzer am I correct in that you cannot get a set of street lights all connected rather than sticking in individual ones along say the pavement from a station??

Try <kuid2:147772:99996:1> Street Lamp Modern 20M Built-in SP3 or <kuid:147772:99998> Street Lamp Modern 10M on DLS

In getting back to my long delayed present railway build across the Irish Sea I am only passingly niggled by putting in individual street lights near a station. Although a long Trainzer am I correct in that you cannot get a set of street lights all connected rather than sticking in individual ones along say the pavement from a station??

Not if you want them to light up at night, because splines don’t support nightmode effects.

As Dinorius mentioned above, if you want them lit at night you will have to place them individually. Maybe you can make a line of them, then copy and paste to extend? Unfortunately that would pick up everything in between unless it was on blank board. At any rate, first I would select a spare piece of real estate on your board and try samples of several different street lights and lamp-posts. Because how the creator made the "light pool" underneath them varies greatly and some are much better than others. You may find the perfect style you are looking for only to discover they don't look very good at night, if that is important (if not, ignore all this). When I was looking for lights for a train yard I went out into a space near the yard and tried every yard light I could find to see what I finally wanted to actually place in the yard. Best of luck!

Hhhm minor complications i the matter. I did at one of my stations in a own start putting some individual street lamps up just for a short distance but as I have a fairly big rail project with lots of stations putting in loads of individual street lights is too time consuming nor doing the idea of trying to copy say a set along a street as that does have complications due to ll the scenery I have in place. Ah well see the difficulty so thanks folks and will rethink all those lights!

There's an ugly but fairly straightforward workaround for getting night mode street light splines, well sort of splines ;).

You can do it by creating a track spline that is only visible in surveyor and using that to attach track side objects. Of course you will also have to create street lights that are trackside objects or clone existing ones and change them to trackside objects by editing their config (chances are you will have to change the orientation as well). You can then easily add your trackside street lights to the track spline and adjust them along the spline and because the spline is only visible in surveyor it disappears in driver but the street lights remain and behave like normal night mode objects.

It's a technique that works well enough but it means cluttering up the track splines and trackside objects category with objects that aren't actually track or trackside objects.

You can also attach the spline to roads. Unfortunately you then can't see the spline control points of the road nor can you straighten the spline, so a potentially very useful feature becomes pretty much unusable. :(

Anyway, I tidied up the asset I created for doing this and uploaded it to the DLS, maybe it will be of some use. Details of how to use it can be found in the asset description and hopefully the instructions are clear enough.
The asset is :- D8 Night Mode Spline Hack <KUID2:327090:200010:2>

Brendan.

The street lights on the bridge in this scene were placed using this method.
UhC14hf.jpg

The underbridge stuff is awesome, but I am curious about the street lights on top. bj1888, I don't see any light pools per se, but is there an overall slight lightening of the street and sidewalk with a sort of overlapping light effect of some kind? Maybe I am just imagining it, but it kind of looks that way....

It rather seems to be selfillumination applied on the road and the sidewalk... Lights on the sides of the bridge are locos?

That's brilliant (literally)! :)

The underbridge stuff is awesome, but I am curious about the street lights on top. bj1888, I don't see any light pools per se, but is there an overall slight lightening of the street and sidewalk with a sort of overlapping light effect of some kind? Maybe I am just imagining it, but it kind of looks that way....

It rather seems to be selfillumination applied on the road and the sidewalk... Lights on the sides of the bridge are locos?

The roads are indeed just self illuminated. The bridge uses a script to swap between night and day versions and the road spline on it will look right day or night. The roads in the background though stay illuminated during the day so they aren't usable in normal circumstances, although I do have an idea that might be able to work around the problem to some degree but I don't have the time to delve into it at the minute.

The lights are just trackside objects with a standard night mode.

Back