32 in monitors

nimec

Hello, I upgrade parts of my PC from time to time and now intend to move from a 27" monitor to a 32" one, all going well. However I have read on this forum occasionally about the need for an appropriate video card to drive the larger monitors. I currently only use TANE but intend move up to Ts 19 at some stage so want to get the best picture with the new graphic engine.
My PC has an i7 7900 processor, 16 Gb RAM and a nVidea Geforce GTX 1060 6gb video card. I'm looking at a 32" curved monitor preferably 4K with a 144K refresh rate. Is there someone who can tell me if the video card be will entirely satisfactory?
If not what about a 32" 1920 x 1080 60k refresh rate? Thanks

It's a mixture of content and pixels. 1920 by 1080 is roughly 2,000,000 pixels and a GTX 1060 at a benchmark score of 9,000 is a reasonable match. Drop in a couple of sketchup assets and it isn't sufficient but for normal purposes it is.

4k is 3840 by 2160 or 8,300,000 pixels so you'll need a benchmark score of 36,000 and that doesn't exist. An RTX 2080 super is about 15,506 and that one is not high on the video card value side of things.

Having said that carefully choose the right mixture of assets and even the GTX 1060 will provide reasonable frame rates on a 4x display.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

TS19 is probably a bit more efficient than TANE so you should get the same sort of frame rates or slightly better on the same content and slider settings.

Have fun.

Cheerio John

Thanks John. Appreciated. That bench mark list is a bit intimidating. My GTX 1060 is really only mediocre. At the time I bought it, it was being hailed as one of THE ones for Trainz ! Technology is soon dated. Cheers

I wouldn't expect much out of a GTX1060 at 4K, it is not bad for 1920 x 1080 though. I have a EVGA 6GB 1060 in an old Phenom 1090T x6 rig with very old SATA2 drives and 16GB DDR3 that runs things ok on Normal Settings with a draw distance of 4000m, Runs my Ffestiniog route which is a bit of a killer at 25FPS worst (buildings) and 45 FPS+ most everywhere else. It was much better when I had it in a newer rig.

So to get something as a baseline, I have TRS19 running in AI at present, the Phenom is clearly bottlenecking the 1060 which is only managing 45% Load at a mere 45°C, CPU is at 48°C, should do very much better with a decent CPU. Curiously other than the fact that it take rather a long time to load anything probably due to the ancient 10 Year old Drives, it runs TRS19 quite well. No it's not my Normal Trainz PC I have two much better ones, just use this one to check my WIP works on older spec PC's.

Back