Trainz, Youtube and COPPA

Hi all.

I'm actually a bit sorry that I brought this thread into existence. My original purpose was to inform that this is a current matter that is important for video makers on Youtube that impacts also the Trainz community. Hence there is a video section in our screenshot forum. This is and important subject for Trainz video makers to inform yourself on if you like to or not.

Yet I also see a lot of off topic responses and even some political opinions.

Please keep off topic responses and political opinions out of this thread. This law originated already in 1998 (to be precise 21th of October 1998). So this is not some novel idea that originated under the current administration.

Also I see a few comments that imply that is not a very fun discussion. I am fully aware on that. Law issues are seldom fun. Yet this is still important. It gives me headaches also and I would rather do something creative. But I am bringing this up because as a content creator and route bulder that also publishes his videos on Youtube so this matter is still important for my channel.

Now on topic>

I leave hera a very long video that provides insight and update on Youtube response on the matter. it is almost even to long for me as I paused at 17. minutes.
I do however intend to watch this further now as this is actually an insightful discussion of the problem.

There is are some insights in the first half so even if you are (like me currently) make it to the 17 minute mark you should know already a lot.

Good luck let's hope that this issue will be resolved soon and we can go back to getting creative ;)

Last edited:
This link would probably help with the issue. Determining if your content is made for kids

In it, it states that YouTube Analytics (YTA) should/will not be used to help designate content. It also refers back to the FTC in determining factors to set your audience. Lawyer up!

As mentioned above, the fines are determined by the revenue of the offending content with a multiplier attached. What that multiplier is isn't clear or perhaps even determined yet. $40,000 dollars is probably a worst case scenario or scary rumor. Also, Youtube is a U.S. company. Users of all nationalities are then subject to the FTC's guidelines. My guess would be that depending on the number of violations, if the non-conforming party is outside the U.S., rather than losing international users, small violations might be covered by YT as a courtesy to the low end violators. High end violators would simply have their accounts suspended.

Then those user might become even more entrepreneurial and create YaTube, SieTube, etc. :D

Well, since you don't live in the States (according to your location), they'll more likely just terminate your entire YT account (and if really serious, your entire Google account). Now if you lived in the States, then it'll be different.

========

Anyway, found an update about this mess. Hopefully it'll help some of you out:

Cheers

Thanks.

This is a video with an opinion but still a very logical one and it helps a bit to depanic the situation :).

This "fiasco" all stems from the false belief (or more likely, the total "con") that these platforms (YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc) are pushing onto us - that they are not the publishers of the content that appears on their platforms, they merely provide the media.

These platforms must take full responsibility for what appears under their banner and not just pass it on to the content creators. It must be said that the content creators (such as you and I) must also be held accountable for what they create. If the New York Times or the Washington Post printed an offensive or inappropriate article or paid advert then both the publisher and the creator would be called to account. That is why they have human Sub Editors, Editors (and copyright and litigation lawyers).

Of course, these platforms will simply hide behind their algorithms (which can be easily fooled) to keep their costs down.

My opinions - I do not have a YouTube Channel, Facebook account, Twitter account, etc, etc (but I do have a Trainz Forum login - I know that makes me a dinosaur but I will be laughing when the social media "crunch" comes :hehe:)

This "fiasco" all stems from the false belief (or more likely, the total "con") that these platforms (YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc) are pushing onto us - that they are not the publishers of the content that appears on their platforms, they merely provide the media.

These platforms must take full responsibility for what appears under their banner and not just pass it on to the content creators. It must be said that the content creators (such as you and I) must also be held accountable for what they create. If the New York Times or the Washington Post printed an offensive or inappropriate article or paid advert then both the publisher and the creator would be called to account. That is why they have human Sub Editors, Editors (and copyright and litigation lawyers).

Of course, these platforms will simply hide behind their algorithms (which can be easily fooled) to keep their costs down.

My opinions - I do not have a YouTube Channel, Facebook account, Twitter account, etc, etc (but I do have a Trainz Forum login - I know that makes me a dinosaur but I will be laughing when the social media "crunch" comes :hehe:)

In retrospective there is indeed nothing 'social' about 'social media'. They where all meant as advertisement platforms in the first place with you the user/creater as the 'vehicle' to carry the advertisement messages. Yes this is sad.

Heh. I agree. "I was only following orders" didn't work in 1945 -- and it still doesn't.

Bill

Is it really about protecting the children or is it to stop all information being viewed by millions,, so lets shut YouTube down but lets leave most if not all adult websites up that just ask if you are over 18 years old ??? yes of coarse i am,, Have fun
Simple YouTube shut down and go to another country,,,

Everyone needs to calm down and stop watching click bait videos. If a thumbnail looks like a used car commercial I wouldn't take legal advice from them.

If you must watch a video here is one made by a lawyer that specializes in consumer law.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1-1hteB9dQ

Now contrary to what many have said this is not the result of any new law or regulation. It is the result of a lawsuit filed by the Attorney General of the state of New York against Google. It involved much more than just YouTube. Google collects data on anyone that uses any of their online services. Since 1998 it has been illegal to collect personal data from any child 13 and under. Websites have been complying with the COPPA law since then. Social media platforms have been very lax in obeying the law. In fact their business model is based on collecting personal information and using it to sell ads targeted to be shown to a person that is likely to buy. If you want to be mad at someone be mad at social media companies. They are passing the buck to their users.

If you don't live in the USA and are not making money from your videos, calm down. The AG of New York is only interested in glamour lawsuits that will pad his resume for when he runs for Governor of New York. He isn't going to come after you and neither is the FTC.

If you live in the USA and are not making money from ads on your videos, calm down. Mark your videos as suitable for children. This turns off comments and targeted ads that Google might have placed on the page. Adults can still watch your videos but they will have a harder time finding them as they won't be recommended to them.

If you want comments, mark your videos for adults but be aware if a child watches it or comments then your video might get flagged.

To those who ask why this is happening, consider these facts. Google admitted that upwards of 80% of views are children under 18 years old. It has been widely known that to make the big bucks on YouTube you had to reach the kids. The top ten channels all make videos featuring adults acting like teenagers. Pranks, jokes, music, TV clips, gaming and general dumb behavior are money makers.

1. T-Series: 113 million subscribers
  2. PewDiePie: 101 million subscribers
  3. Cocomelon - Nursery Rhymes: 61.6 million subscribers
  4. 5-Minute Crafts: 61.1 million subscribers
  5. SET India - 56.9 million subscribers
  6. Canal KondZilla: 52.3 million subscribers
  7. WWE: 49 million subscribers
  8. Justin Beiber: 46.6 million subscribers
  9. Dude Perfect: 46.1 million subscribers
  10. Zee Music Company: 44.2 million subscribers

Google has ignored the problem for years because for every $1 that advertisers pay, Google gets $0.60 of it.

William

Everyone needs to calm down and stop watching click bait videos. If a thumbnail looks like a used car commercial I wouldn't take legal advice from them.

If you must watch a video here is one made by a lawyer that specializes in consumer law.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1-1hteB9dQ

Now contrary to what many have said this is not the result of any new law or regulation. It is the result of a lawsuit filed by the Attorney General of the state of New York against Google. It involved much more than just YouTube. Google collects data on anyone that uses any of their online services. Since 1998 it has been illegal to collect personal data from any child 13 and under. Websites have been complying with the COPPA law since then. Social media platforms have been very lax in obeying the law. In fact their business model is based on collecting personal information and using it to sell ads targeted to be shown to a person that is likely to buy. If you want to be mad at someone be mad at social media companies. They are passing the buck to their users.

If you don't live in the USA and are not making money from your videos, calm down. The AG of New York is only interested in glamour lawsuits that will pad his resume for when he runs for Governor of New York. He isn't going to come after you and neither is the FTC.

If you live in the USA and are not making money from ads on your videos, calm down. Mark your videos as suitable for children. This turns off comments and targeted ads that Google might have placed on the page. Adults can still watch your videos but they will have a harder time finding them as they won't be recommended to them.

If you want comments, mark your videos for adults but be aware if a child watches it or comments then your video might get flagged.

To those who ask why this is happening, consider these facts. Google admitted that upwards of 80% of views are children under 18 years old. It has been widely known that to make the big bucks on YouTube you had to reach the kids. The top ten channels all make videos featuring adults acting like teenagers. Pranks, jokes, music, TV clips, gaming and general dumb behavior are money makers.

1. T-Series: 113 million subscribers
  2. PewDiePie: 101 million subscribers
  3. Cocomelon - Nursery Rhymes: 61.6 million subscribers
  4. 5-Minute Crafts: 61.1 million subscribers
  5. SET India - 56.9 million subscribers
  6. Canal KondZilla: 52.3 million subscribers
  7. WWE: 49 million subscribers
  8. Justin Beiber: 46.6 million subscribers
  9. Dude Perfect: 46.1 million subscribers
  10. Zee Music Company: 44.2 million subscribers

Google has ignored the problem for years because for every $1 that advertisers pay, Google gets $0.60 of it.

William

Ta

John

The easiest way to solve this problem for non US residents is for YouTube to give video uploaders the ability to block their content being shown in the US , that way the rest of us can get on with our lives without fear of breaking US laws .

The easiest way to solve this problem for non US residents is for YouTube to give video uploaders the ability to block their content being shown in the US , that way the rest of us can get on with our lives without fear of breaking US laws .

Hmmm, did that work for Julian Assange and Wikileaks?

The problem really is freedom of information !!! with the internet being an information hub it is very hard to contain truth,,, and the truth hurts those who live within lies,,, it's about power and dictatorship ,,, very soon some information will be given or more so made known to the worlds blind population and it will show to the world that people in positions just do not care for you or your children or anything but themselves and there own selfish end,, The ability of free energy, anti gravity space travel or creating something from the fabric of space is here now and has been for a long time,,, on the scale of our Galaxy we have 1 to 2 billion Suns and nearly each one of them has planetary systems around it and in many cases much like our own now on that scale can you tell me WHY on this planet we have children starving Nations starving,,, because of our currency we have levels with cultures and children and people starve to death all because of money,,, So how does the currency of this world compare to our Galaxy,,
So lets just hide behind YouTube and stop freedom of speech and action but we will not tell them what we are really doing this for,,, so don't think for yourself, because they don't want you to be to smart,,, if you think this is extreme i would think again if i was you,,,

Last edited:
Is it tin hat time already?

I get where you are coming from Steve123 (but I am not really sure where you are going). Certainly money is the root of all evil and the reason why we need strong independent regulators to keep those in business honest - but who watchers the regulators? There really is no such thing as a "free enterprise economy" or "free competition". Capitalism and Communism are both equally evil IMHO.

We could spend hours debating this issue but the bottom line is that Google, YouTube, Facebook, etc are simply ripping us all off without taking any responsibility themselves.

HA HA HA tin Head stuff ,,, my wife wonders where her aluminium foil goes,, im up the shed making hats,,
There on YouTube for sale,,, marked not for children,,

Last edited:
....Certainly money is the root of all evil....
"We interrupt your regularly scheduled programming for the following PSA."

99% people misquote this line. The correct way is "The LOVE of money is the root of evil."

"We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming."

Oh! So I should stop tearing up all those $100 notes because they are NOT the "spawn of Satan"?:'(
Nothing wrong with having money. It is the "love of money" which is loosely tied to greed, that is the actual evil the saying is trying to express. If money itself was the spawn of Satan, everyone would attend Sunday services in cardboard boxes under bridges, instead of various houses of worship.

Back