Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trainz, Youtube and COPPA

Quote Originally Posted by wreeder View Post
    Everyone needs to calm down and stop watching click bait videos. If a thumbnail looks like a used car commercial I wouldn't take legal advice from them.

If you must watch a video here is one made by a lawyer that specializes in consumer law.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1-1hteB9dQ

Now contrary to what many have said this is not the result of any new law or regulation. It is the result of a lawsuit filed by the Attorney General of the state of New York against Google. It involved much more than just YouTube. Google collects data on anyone that uses any of their online services. Since 1998 it has been illegal to collect personal data from any child 13 and under. Websites have been complying with the COPPA law since then. Social media platforms have been very lax in obeying the law. In fact their business model is based on collecting personal information and using it to sell ads targeted to be shown to a person that is likely to buy. If you want to be mad at someone be mad at social media companies. They are passing the buck to their users.

If you don't live in the USA and are not making money from your videos, calm down. The AG of New York is only interested in glamour lawsuits that will pad his resume for when he runs for Governor of New York. He isn't going to come after you and neither is the FTC.

If you live in the USA and are not making money from ads on your videos, calm down. Mark your videos as suitable for children. This turns off comments and targeted ads that Google might have placed on the page. Adults can still watch your videos but they will have a harder time finding them as they won't be recommended to them.

If you want comments, mark your videos for adults but be aware if a child watches it or comments then your video might get flagged.

To those who ask why this is happening, consider these facts. Google admitted that upwards of 80% of views are children under 18 years old. It has been widely known that to make the big bucks on YouTube you had to reach the kids. The top ten channels all make videos featuring adults acting like teenagers. Pranks, jokes, music, TV clips, gaming and general dumb behavior are money makers.

1. T-Series: 113 million subscribers
    2. PewDiePie: 101 million subscribers
    3. Cocomelon - Nursery Rhymes: 61.6 million subscribers
    4. 5-Minute Crafts: 61.1 million subscribers
    5. SET India - 56.9 million subscribers
    6. Canal KondZilla: 52.3 million subscribers
    7. WWE: 49 million subscribers
    8. Justin Beiber: 46.6 million subscribers
    9. Dude Perfect: 46.1 million subscribers
    10. Zee Music Company: 44.2 million subscribers

Google has ignored the problem for years because for every $1 that advertisers pay, Google gets $0.60 of it.

William

Ta

John

The easiest way to solve this problem for non US residents is for YouTube to give video uploaders the ability to block their content being shown in the US , that way the rest of us can get on with our lives without fear of breaking US laws .
    High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nexusdj View Post
    The easiest way to solve this problem for non US residents is for YouTube to give video uploaders the ability to block their content being shown in the US , that way the rest of us can get on with our lives without fear of breaking US laws .

Hmmm, did that work for Julian Assange and Wikileaks?
    TRS19 Platinum 105100 - TRS19 SP1 (standard) 105096 - TANE SP4 (RC beta) 105476

The problem really is freedom of information !!! with the internet being an information hub it is very hard to contain truth,,, and the truth hurts those who live within lies,,, it's about power and dictatorship ,,, very soon some information will be given or more so made known to the worlds blind population and it will show to the world that people in positions just do not care for you or your children or anything but themselves and there own selfish end,, The ability of free energy, anti gravity space travel or creating something from the fabric of space is here now and has been for a long time,,, on the scale of our Galaxy we have 1 to 2 billion Suns and nearly each one of them has planetary systems around it and in many cases much like our own now on that scale can you tell me WHY on this planet we have children starving Nations starving,,, because of our currency we have levels with cultures and children and people starve to death all because of money,,, So how does the currency of this world compare to our Galaxy,,
    So lets just hide behind YouTube and stop freedom of speech and action but we will not tell them what we are really doing this for,,, so don't think for yourself, because they don't want you to be to smart,,, if you think this is extreme i would think again if i was you,,,
    Last edited by steve123; November 24th, 2019 at 11:03 PM.

Blog Entries

Is it tin hat time already?

I get where you are coming from Steve123 (but I am not really sure where you are going). Certainly money is the root of all evil and the reason why we need strong independent regulators to keep those in business honest - but who watchers the regulators? There really is no such thing as a "free enterprise economy" or "free competition". Capitalism and Communism are both equally evil IMHO.

We could spend hours debating this issue but the bottom line is that Google, YouTube, Facebook, etc are simply ripping us all off without taking any responsibility themselves.

HA HA HA tin Head stuff ,,, my wife wonders where her aluminium foil goes,, im up the shed making hats,,
    There on YouTube for sale,,, marked not for children,,
    Last edited by steve123; November 24th, 2019 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pware View Post
    ....Certainly money is the root of all evil....
    "We interrupt your regularly scheduled programming for the following PSA."

99% people misquote this line. The correct way is "The LOVE of money is the root of evil."

"We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming."
    "Cave Johnson. We're done here."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maruffijd View Post
    "The correct way is "The LOVE of money is the root of evil."
    Oh! So I should stop tearing up all those $100 notes because they are NOT the "spawn of Satan"?

Quote Originally Posted by pware View Post
    Oh! So I should stop tearing up all those $100 notes because they are NOT the "spawn of Satan"?
    Nothing wrong with having money. It is the "love of money" which is loosely tied to greed, that is the actual evil the saying is trying to express. If money itself was the spawn of Satan, everyone would attend Sunday services in cardboard boxes under bridges, instead of various houses of worship.
    "Cave Johnson. We're done here."

Blog Entries

thread derailed .

Blog Entries

Perhaps it is Google's love of money that has derailed YouTube

I don't think it has been derailed i just think the real reason for all of this is money after all didn't they pay the fine and now they want more money from you and me if we stuff up in there own eyes and understanding,,,
    Don't get me wrong it is good to have some laws on things but, it does stop freedom of speech and information to a great extent,,,
    If i put a video on YouTube that is full of nothing but truth and no matter which box it tick,, for children not for children for over 18 years old only,, if they don't like my tone or the truth thats being said they can say you ticked the wrong box now here is a $42,000 fine,, suck it up princess,,
    So it boils down to do as i say not as i do,,, there is the truth ,, shut up mind you own business and do as you are told,, like lambs to the slaughter,,, and everthing that is happening now has been forseen,,,
    If it's not about the money then state the correct setting for people to follow,, if they themselves could be sued on a personal level over faulsly stating you made a mistake they would soon post guildlines for the general public to follow,,,
    Last edited by steve123; November 25th, 2019 at 10:07 PM.