.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42

Thread: Trainz, Youtube and COPPA

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,089
    Blog Entries
    4
     

    Default Trainz, Youtube and COPPA

    I'il leave this video here. This may affect the future of Trainz youtubers as trains are considered child friendly:

    Please watch the video and discuss. Do you think Trainz Youtube movies have a future on the platform?



    And youtube also plans to shut down commercially non-viable channels per December 10th.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States of America, Wisconsin, Wisc Rapids
    Posts
    1,196
    Blog Entries
    2
     

    Default

    This is my biggest concern, but the commercially non-viable is the least of the problems. Its my train videos, Trainz videos, and another train game, and while I marked my entire channel + videos as not for kids, I really would like some deep info regarding this, as the fines are pretty steep

    I'm going to be keeping my eyes on this one, as it might actually answer some of my questions I have that are invisible

    Cheers

    NARM's site^

    My personal site: https://hiawathamr.weebly.com/​

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia, Victoria, Craigieburn
    Posts
    1,186
     

    Default

    Use Bitchute. No problems on that video site: https://www.bitchute.com/
    Youtube is going, albeit slowly.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,089
    Blog Entries
    4
     

    Default

    Slowly all fun things in life get killed by big corporations and rules. Stupid rules. Sorry for being a bit emotional. But some people just don't get that people want to do something for fun and everything has to be monotized. This Coppa Thing is actually caused by ads. I have ads off on my channel. But it doesn't matter because we still have to comply with these stupid rules. The fines are ridiculous.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    United States of America, In Front Of My PC
    Posts
    355
     

    Default

    What does COPPA have anything to do in relationship to the Trainz Forum ?
    Last edited by MP242; November 22nd, 2019 at 05:06 PM.
    TS19, I Like It, I Like It A Lot ! (line from Robocop movie)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Cleveland Ohio United States
    Posts
    141
    Blog Entries
    1
     

    Default

    Honestly I don't think that youtube will through with this in its current form. The amount of chaos this would and already has caused would destroy the platform. This is exactly the sort of thing that similar yet smaller platforms have been waiting for. If this goes through in its current form there will be a mass exodus from the platform and the site will die. It makes no sense. On the plus side there are rumors that a higher up in the FTC (I can't remember who) will meet with some content creators regarding this issue and we can only hope that they will be able to open their eyes.
    Here's another great video explaining the situation.watch
    How Tomorrow Moves

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    United States of America, In Front Of My PC
    Posts
    355
     

    Default

    I imagine that it is all because several gazillion people have uploaded their nonsensical videos: "Here's a 6 min video of my ugly baby eating a cheerio off of their sticky spitty finger", or "Here's my last video just before I fell off of the Grande Canyon while taking a selfie", now YouTube is now chock full of bazillions of nonsensical videos, just like Photobucket was inundated.
    Last edited by MP242; November 22nd, 2019 at 04:54 PM.
    TS19, I Like It, I Like It A Lot ! (line from Robocop movie)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill
    Posts
    25,841
     

    Default

    Parents should be responsible for what their kids watch.

    Good example of bad parenting: My late sister let her 5 year-old watch whatever he wanted on YouTube. It was "too hard" to setup parental guards or to direct him to YouTube Kids. In other words, she was too busy doing her own thing and didn't care. When I asked her about it, her answer was "Whatever".

    If it has to do with advertiser content, then Google should be responsible for what runs on all channels and police its advertisers, but wait it's all about money when it comes to Google.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019: 98592

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,089
    Blog Entries
    4
     

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MP242 View Post
    I imagine that it is all because several gazillion people have uploaded their nonsensical videos: "Here's a 6 min video of my ugly baby eating a cheerio off of their sticky spitty finger", or "Here's my last video just before I fell off of the Grande Canyon while taking a selfie", now YouTube is now chock full of bazillions of nonsensical videos, just like Photobucket was totally inundated. Someday Facebook will be purged.
    This has nothing to do with if a video is suitable for children or not. Watch te videos.

    This has everything to do with Youtube running ads under videos for children and secretly collecting data via these ads. As it is forbidden to collet privacy data from children under the age of 13 they where sued and fined for that. However youtube made a deal with the FCT. And now the content platform is no longer liable but the content creator itself.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,089
    Blog Entries
    4
     

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JCitron View Post
    Parents should be responsible for what their kids watch.

    Good example of bad parenting: My late sister let her 5 year-old watch whatever he wanted on YouTube. It was "too hard" to setup parental guards or to direct him to YouTube Kids. In other words, she was too busy doing her own thing and didn't care. When I asked her about it, her answer was "Whatever".

    If it has to do with advertiser content, then Google should be responsible for what runs on all channels and police its advertisers, but wait it's all about money when it comes to Google.
    Agree 100 %

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,089
    Blog Entries
    4
     

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mkultra04 View Post
    Honestly I don't think that youtube will through with this in its current form. The amount of chaos this would and already has caused would destroy the platform. This is exactly the sort of thing that similar yet smaller platforms have been waiting for. If this goes through in its current form there will be a mass exodus from the platform and the site will die. It makes no sense. On the plus side there are rumors that a higher up in the FTC (I can't remember who) will meet with some content creators regarding this issue and we can only hope that they will be able to open their eyes.
    Here's another great video explaining the situation.watch

    Thanks for the insight an link.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sweetwater, TN, USA
    Posts
    5,469
    Blog Entries
    2
     

    Default

    Another regulation that has so-called good intent but fails to define key aspects and has little restraint on power of the regulation.

    regulations upon regulations. I see this going through many legal battles sooner than later.

    Quote Originally Posted by pagroove View Post
    This has nothing to do with if a video is suitable for children or not. Watch te videos.
    Do not bother listening to him. The waffle king will probably be banned again soon enough.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    782
     

    Default

    This isn't going to affect anyone, the whole COPPA rule is on YT so if a video is marked as made for kids, you can't collect user data, and the fine is there for those who try doing so on a video labeled as Made for Kids

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Cleveland Ohio United States
    Posts
    141
    Blog Entries
    1
     

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tbird8923 View Post
    This isn't going to affect anyone, the whole COPPA rule is on YT so if a video is marked as made for kids, you can't collect user data, and the fine is there for those who try doing so on a video labeled as Made for Kids
    But the issue lays in the fact that there aren't really any rules or specific guide lines that make something kid friendly. I mean sure you have the extremes like swearing or nudity but for other things like train videos the line can be blurry, train videos aren't necessarily for kids but they aren't inappropriate for children to watch. What one person thinks is kid friendly some one else might think other wise and that's were things really get tough. Its not the content creator who dictates what is and isn't kid friendly, its YouTube and the FTC. Say for instance I make a video on youtube with a mild swear word like crap or damn, those words aren't very severe and most children have heard a thousand times, with this reasoning I label the video child friendly. Now say the bot or who ever is in-charge of enforcing this new regulation comes along, hears the word damn, and deems the video inappropriate for children then dishes me a heathy $40k fine. Neither of us are inherently wrong but I still have to pay $40k. The regulation in its current form just isn't fair and very much affects all who use Youtube, my friend Hiawatha is a good example, he's considering leaving Youtube because of this, the guide lines are too vague and risking it could cost you $40k. This isn't only going to affect a few people who intentionally mislabel their videos, its going to affect everyone who uses the platform.

    P.S. Sorry for writing a novel, but this can't just be played off like its not a major issue, hundreds of thousands of people who make videos are in serious trouble if this goes through and not everyone can pay $40k in fine over a misunderstanding.-MK
    How Tomorrow Moves

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Australia, Victoria, Churchill
    Posts
    1,545
     

    Default

    So, "something" happens on youtube and I get a 40k fine. Mate, good luck getting 40k out of me and if they wanted to extradite me to the USA it would cost them more than 40k to get me there (wouldn't mind a free trip to the USA though)
    Fine me 40k, I'll tell em they're dreamin'.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •