Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Graphics card

bolivar

Am thinking of using this card for my new computer. Has anyone got one and if so how does TANE run with it?

i got one with my new build in the past week - so far great. But to make Tane or TRS19 run better you really do need some good memory - I run with 32gb (2x16gb Corsair DDR4 3200mhz) and a fast drive (2tb SSD m.2)

I bought a Gigabyte AORUS 2080Ti along with an i9-9920 CPU a few months back. I bought it mostly because of the GPU power it offers to the content creation tools I use that produce PBR textures. Recently Blender announced it now supports RTX GPUs for rendering. I've checked this out in the beta Blender 2.81 and it is significantly faster than 2.80.

But, I'm not sure this carries through to the average Trainz user. Yes, you can crank up the settings and such a machine will eat it. But I find it curious that TS19 in the main menu, the one with the chosen loco, causes my GPU to dramatically increase its cooling fan speed. I wonder what is causing it.

I still believe Trainz is hamstrung by I/O. In simple terms the time it takes to load a scene. That doesn't appear to be any quicker than my previous computer. Windows is probably slowing everything down as well.

Some of the 1600 series GPUs might offer significant improvement that almost meets an RTX2080 but at a much lower cost.

If you run other games then that may be a factor.

I bought a Gigabyte AORUS 2080Ti along with an i9-9920 CPU a few months back. I bought it mostly because of the GPU power it offers to the content creation tools I use that produce PBR textures. Recently Blender announced it now supports RTX GPUs for rendering. I've checked this out in the beta Blender 2.81 and it is significantly faster than 2.80.

But, I'm not sure this carries through to the average Trainz user. Yes, you can crank up the settings and such a machine will eat it. But I find it curious that TS19 in the main menu, the one with the chosen loco, causes my GPU to dramatically increase its cooling fan speed. I wonder what is causing it.

I still believe Trainz is hamstrung by I/O. In simple terms the time it takes to load a scene. That doesn't appear to be any quicker than my previous computer. Windows is probably slowing everything down as well.

Some of the 1600 series GPUs might offer significant improvement that almost meets an RTX2080 but at a much lower cost.

If you run other games then that may be a factor.

The loading screen Is a small route, stuffed full of pbr textures turfx and clutter, initially it has to precache, a prebuild sorts that out.
Just had a look at the GPU fan speed here on the loading scene, fan speed 33%, temp 65°C, Gigabyte AORUS 1080TI / slightly overclocked I7 6700K everything on max settings. I have a job to hear any fans on my main rig and there are 5 case fans (2 top, 2 front 1 back) plus 3 on the GPU and one on the CPU cooler, was going to fit a second as it has the fittings but it doesn't need it. No fan speed controller used slight overclock on the CPU

Different on number 2 PC GPU fans at 80% temp at 75°C, Ryzen5 1600 / GTX980TI can just hear the GPU fan, the others are quiet ones I installed. The 980TI has always run hotter than the 1080TI

Somewhat annoyingly the Ryzen beats the i7 on multicore benchmarks and is very close on single core for a third of the cost! I would imagine it would work well with the 1080TI.

Back