VIA Rail's Train Simulator

At least theirs seem to have some speed. Seems like speed limits on a lot of Trainz routes are agonizingly slow, but I guess that is up to the route creator.

That's interesting.

Some of the most fun I've ever had with a train simulator came in the form of Softrail's Train Dispatcher/Track Builder. It's an old program, but it's depth is so interesting. From track warrants to locomotive breakdowns the simulation really emulates the chaotic environment that a real dispatcher must content with on any given territory. All you get in terms of a visual is a track diagram with basic panel like graphics with a mouse click interface. Pretty sure that the software was/is used on real railroads either as a training program or the actual dispatching software itself.

Still mess around with it on occasion.

Who is going to be the first Trainzer to build a cab like that?

There are actually a couple out there already. The two I know of (and this was years ago, they might not be around) was a museum in Australia had one (I think made with help from Auran), and the folks who made the ECML made one to let you drive a Deltic down the ECML.

peter

PS, found the ECML one: https://www.thedps.co.uk/ click "locos" then scroll down.

Back